NV Calem Velhotes Tawny 10YO (bottled 2013)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

NV Calem Velhotes Tawny 10YO (bottled 2013)

Post by WineLoverPT »

Bottled 2013
Stopper style cork

Decanted at 3pm: Colour of Golden Syrup. Slightly woody. Smooth but with a touch of “whisky” in the mouth and (long) finish - possibly even a hint of Seville Orange there in the deep background.
D + 6: A little darker, a little thicker, a little hotter, sweet, syrupy
D + 27: I’ve donned my cassock - although I haven’t had mead for a very very long time, this tastes like my recollection of it. It’s quite a pleasant drink - and, well, very “tawny”.
D + 48: Decent drink, perhaps a bit hot. Don't get me wrong - it's not bad at all, and if I were served a glass after a meal I wouldn't be looking for a plant pot into which to jettison it - but if this were my last drink and I had a choice of this or something red, I'd chose the something red.

Research continues...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: NV Calem Velhotes 10YO Tawny

Post by AW77 »

Although you seem not to like tawny style ports that much, this TN still sounds as if the Calem was a good Apéritif (properly chilled) or would go nicely with cake in the afternoon (instead of a Bual). In short: a good 10 Year Tawny, but as Tawny simply not your cup of tea. Right?
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port