2009 Niepoort LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2009 Niepoort LBV

Post by WineLoverPT »

Bottled in 2013
Pull-style cork
17,45 euros

Decanted at 1pm: Rich, not as dark as some - fruity, but somewhat rough - hot in the stomach.
D + 6: It’s opened up a bit more now - rich fruits - redcurrants perhaps, damselberries - still a little hot in the stomach. We’ll see what later brings.
D + 9: Later that evening, after a dinner out, friends and I drank quite a bit of this. We enjoyed it, but, beyond that, I remember nothing (except the 2008 Cem Reis pure Syrah we had with dinner which was just awesome)
D + 29: It’s nice, but there’s still a certain “dryness” in the mouth that I don’t remember with other ports. Decent, but not amazing, finish.

Summary: For 17.45 euros, this is a reasonable enough drink, but, frankly, I don’t think it’s much better than some of the “supermarket” LBVs that are under a tenner.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2009 Niepoort LBV

Post by AW77 »

I think that the Niepoort LBVs are probably better after some years in bottle. In their youth they may not be better than their filtered peers.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

AW77 wrote:I think that the Niepoort LBVs are probably better after some years in bottle. In their youth they may not be better than their filtered peers.
You asked me if I'd tried it yet - so, guinea-pig style, I took that as an indication that it was ready to be drunk! :roll:
Not to worry - the friends liked it, and it did a fine job of defending my cellar (or is that I selfishly kept "the good stuff" for myself? - the first sounds better, but the second seems more truthful)
I have another bottle - I've scheduled that for 2016, but I'm open to counter arguments on that date.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

The latest release of a Niepoort LBV is always ready to drink.
But as with any other unfiltered LBV it will only show what it is made of after around ten years in bottle. Perhaps you should ask the lovely Catia if she can get you an already aged bottle so you can decide for yourself if you want to lay down some bottles for aging.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port