NV Cockburn Fine Old Ruby

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NV Cockburn Fine Old Ruby

Post by jdaw1 »

At the generous instigation of Alex B.: “Please, no-one bring anything except where I have asked for help. This is supposed to be a cellar reduction party so I am happy to supply various bottles for us to share. A handful of people know some of what will be brought, but I'll serve all bottles blind.”

So we went to a Helen-less Bung Hole to meet Amy — who had just left for the day. (No problem: we met her two days later.)

Links:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: NV Cockburn Fine Old Ruby

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep amber in colour. Oxidised nose, resinous and plastic. Sweet sugary flavours, full of gentle honey and a touch of tobacco spice. Alive and lovely, but with a touch of oxidation again on the late palate. Long honey aftertaste, lingering and lovely. This is surprisingly alive. Bottling date is not known but from the shape of the bottle and label was estimated to be 1940-1960. 82/100. Drunk 26-Aug-14. 1 hour decant.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.