1977 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Croft

Post by PhilW »

After a hiatus from VP, an odd bottle from auction mixed case to break the fast. 6hr decant.
Colour medium red, initially quite light in the mouth, then some heat, then full and sweet red cherries, quite long finish. A very enjoyable first glass, now to cook a ribeye to go with the second :)
LGTrotter

Re: 1977 Croft

Post by LGTrotter »

1977, having got a rather too effusive press, now seems to get a worse one than it deserves. Admittedly some are a bit fanciful in their pricing, but I've always liked the Croft, even the lesser bottlings, of which I have most of a case left. From good provenance it's surprisingly dark and and tasty. Just the thing to take the chill off the evening.
PhilW

Re: 1977 Croft

Post by PhilW »

It's been an odd one. First glass (drunk quickly) was lovely, second glass (drunk very slowly) seemed to fall apart in the glass.
At D+24hr, it was still light, with some heat and red cherries, nice underlying flavour, but now with a medicinal hint I'd prefer wasn't there.
Ok port, but nowhere near as good as the Cr70. If this bottle is representative (vs something poor in its unknown provenance) then I would recommend short decant and drinking quickly.