1992 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1992 Fonseca

Post by DaveRL »

D+3 Dark dense red, browning slightly at the edges. Little in nose. Alcohol and some plum. In the mouth sweet, quite viscous. Not much fruit - some more plum, figs. A little liquorice. A little medicinal. Finishes slightly bitter. Dark chocolate. Savoury, a Rhone meaty savoury component. Acidity prominent, but not excessive. Finish fairly short. It is quite good, but some way short of where I'd hoped. I'm wondering if perhaps slightly corked? Not sure what the fuss is about.

D+27 Ah. It has become balanced. The acidity is just right. Nose still not massive, but alcohol has integrated. The fruit has appeared. The savoury flavours have receded. Long mouth watering soft cherry and strawberry. Finishes quite dry. Dangerously gluggable. Perhaps a little thin. I'll restrain myself and leave a little until tomorrow.

D+50 Oh. Still good, but the fruit has gone away again. Better than day 1 but glad I didn't leave much. Still wondering if just a little corked. Maybe a phase, or just slightly too young for me. Find myself having hoped for more.

From a disappointing 88 on day 1 to 91 day 2.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1992 Fonseca

Post by flash_uk »

Makes me wonder if anything from the 90s is showing well at the moment!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I suspect this is very much in the middle of its disjointed adolescence. Give it time. Perhaps two decades will do, perhaps more.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

It was v good in parts. At its height it was delightful. More disjointed than the 97s, which themselves are not currently in a great place. Fonseca 85 to my mind is so much better today, and I am sure it will improve further. I think you are right and the 90s need more time.