1988 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1988 Dow Bomfim SQ Vintage Port

Post by uncle tom »

As the '88 vintage has taken a bit of a bashing recently, and my last encounter - with Q. de la Rosa - was OK, but nothing special, I thought I'd re-visit with a wine that hasn't been discussed recently.

My only bottle of this wine - part of an auction job lot.

Decanted 6pm - reassuringly dark. First bits of sediment came through a little early, so I stopped decanting a glassful short of emptying the bottle.

Not liking waste, I took my first sip from the dregs (strained through teeth!) , typical Dow 'dour' bouquet - no fire, no bottle stink - OK

5 hours on - a glass proper

A competant wine, but a tad lean, and lacking complexity - it could almost be used as a demonstration piece to illustrate the need for blending - it presents one half of a really good brew - but only one half..

See how it evolves..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

23 hours on and little changed.

This is a rather lean one dimensioned wine with a marked licorice note.

It is also noticeably immature.

I'm tempted to venture a score now, but a little voice is telling me to give it another day - which I shall..

..more tomorrow

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Well, another day and this sultry little wine has found a little more composure - but not a lot.

As an SQ it is quite respectable - but is not in the giant killing class.

To score:

For immediate gratification I find this below the median, but not by a mile. But am I forgiving of its shortcomings? No. - It has a certain mean streak that mitigates against it - it lacks the necessary warmth and civility.

I'll give it a 3

Where's it going? - it's not quite mature, but I don't feel a few more years will greatly alter its standing - but it will probably keep for another 20 years without difficulty.

Score 3-3

Tom