1970 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1970 Croft

Post by djewesbury »

Forgot to post this. Drunk on 23 November 2014 to mark my 42nd birthday. This was the first of this batch opened, a leaker. Cork was soft and easily pushed in, retrieved later with a bag.

An orangey brown, about 50% opaque, rather a lovely colour in fact, with a proper redness.

Nose is quite simple, jellied fruit mainly. Light peppery entry, followed by a light bitterness, slightly coffeeish, with more coffee and chocolate in the finish, which is long and turns toffeeish before revealing some hints of currants and berries.

RAB says this has the note that she has found in some other port, somewhat incongruously to her mind: lime Opal Fruits. She says she is transported to the back seat of her mother's car, where she would be waiting for her mother to get out of the hairdresser's [hairdressers']. Now that she mentions it and the 'flat sweetness' she associates with it, I know what she means, I can taste it. The suggestibility of the palate is a most peculiar thing. Perhaps it is the juiciness of this that is redolent of Opal Fruits.

It's also interesting that we're all too old to remember that Opal Fruits are called Starburst now.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...