2001 Marks and Spencer LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

2001 Marks and Spencer LBV

Post by Conky »

2001 Marks and Spencers (BOB) LBV
Bottled by 'Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers, Vinhos, S.A., VN Gaia'
Which seems understandable subterfuge. Any ideas who that means?
It is also parading a silver medal from the Decanter World Wide awards.
It was on 30% off so came in just over £7.
Classic example of middle of the road, but thoroughly pleasant, M&S food & drink standards.
Fruity aroma, but not as strong as I'd like. It neither Fonseca's you (Power fruits), or Martinez's you (Subtle but substance), but then why should it when its a pleasant LBV.
My criticism would be a tad weak, but not watery weak. The tears are strong, and the colour is deep with a weak rim. Not a great mouthfeel and the aftertaste is smooth but quick.
Second and third glasses are not leaving any overpowering residues, like some nearly great Ports can do.

In summary, this is a very good mid-range LBV. Aimed at the mass market, who will recognise this as Port in its classic form. No risks and I think I would ask a newcomer to Port to try this next to the silky-ier nuttier Warres Otima, to grasp the differences at entry level.

The more I drink this charming, if limited balance, the more I think it should be the 'Standard Benchmark' for ordinary Port, by which you can then easily appreciate all the higher levels of Port. (Everything the Dows 2001 LBV isn't!). When I'm next trying an unusual VP, I would love a small glass of this to occasionally sip, and remind me what the basics should be, before judging the VP.

88/100. Marks & Sparks doing its stuff and Quite Well.

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Bottled by 'Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers, Vinhos, S.A., VN Gaia'
New to me, but looks like a co-op designed to get the smaller players access to the supermarkets.

- Good luck to them!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2001 Marks & Spencers (BOB) LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

Conky wrote:Bottled by 'Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers, Vinhos, S.A., VN Gaia'

Alan
Thats the newer name for the The Fladgate Partnership's distribution side.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2001 Marks & Spencers (BOB) LBV

Post by Conky »

ADV wrote:
Conky wrote:Bottled by 'Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers, Vinhos, S.A., VN Gaia'

Alan
Thats the newer name for the The Fladgate Partnership's distribution side.
So it's Taylor Fladgate! Interesting. So we now need an insider to drop us a hint what Port it's based on. Thanks Andy.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Its a blend across any and all of the Taylor Fladgate properties, plus any grapes that they decide to buy in, which varies from year to year depending on the harvest and the qualities found in the grapes.

Not tying it down to any particular shipper or quinta gives the company more flexibility to produce a blend specifically for a corporate buyer that can be replicated year after year.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.