1977 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1977 Dow

Post by Andy Velebil »

djewesbury wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
djewesbury wrote:. This gent had bought in bulk for very cheap prices and has about 100 bottles left. The 1970 is mostly gone now but he is enjoying his 1977 and has not had a bad bottle. I am going to ask him to prove it.
And if you ask Glenn he's never had a corked bottle. Most people have no idea what TCA is. A small percentage, as is Glenn, can't smell or taste it. Based on how many people have had lots of corked bottles of this, I suspect he falls into one of those camps.
It would be a pretty low trick to persuade him to open one of these and then tell him it was rubbish, wouldn't it? Especially if he's blissfully ignorant and thoroughly enjoying every bottle.
Yes. I wish I was like Glenn and couldn't detect TCA. I would have enjoyed so many more bottles.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
djewesbury wrote:. This gent had bought in bulk for very cheap prices and has about 100 bottles left. The 1970 is mostly gone now but he is enjoying his 1977 and has not had a bad bottle. I am going to ask him to prove it.
And if you ask Glenn he's never had a corked bottle. Most people have no idea what TCA is. A small percentage, as is Glenn, can't smell or taste it. Based on how many people have had lots of corked bottles of this, I suspect he falls into one of those camps.
It would be a pretty low trick to persuade him to open one of these and then tell him it was rubbish, wouldn't it? Especially if he's blissfully ignorant and thoroughly enjoying every bottle.
Yes. I wish I was like Glenn and couldn't detect TCA. I would have enjoyed so many more bottles.
I would have, too, if y'all didn't keep pouring them down the drain even though I live just 3 miles away! :lol:

Though to be fair, even I wouldn't have finished off that Hooper. While I didn't find it vile like the rest of you, it was clearly off and tasted a bit metallic to me. ("A bit" he says. "15-18 parts per trillion" Roy says.) Not unpleasant, but also not pleasant. There are better things available to drink.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Andy Velebil wrote:As for your note I've never gotten "stink" of any kind on this Port unless it was corked. I suspect yours was slightly damaged by TCA.
Reluctant as I am to not start an argument with Andy, I think he might be onto something about me being not too tuned into cork taint. But in my defence I would say that I ran it past my wife who has a much better palate than me and she said there was no problem. Also I assumed it was bottle stink as it did seem to pass off over about three hours. And it was so good, if that was a tainted bottle a clean one would be Noval 31 territory.

While I have got you Americans on the line I hope that you might give some thoughts on the 85s. I saw a lot of pretty hefty marks being given out on :ftlop2014: , is the 85 the new 63? I shall fire up an old thread on the 85s and would be most interested to hear your views.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

One thing that I have noticed is that my scores are typically 3-4 points higher than the ones that you guys post, but are otherwise pretty consistent across the board. My scale is apparently just calibrated differently, so what you would call an 89 I typically call a 92.

I have also started trying to be more true to my words, which is having the effect of deflating my scores. If something is merely good, it should be 80-85 by my ratings but in the past I've given those closer to 84-87. Previous scores of, say, 81-83 from me are for really pretty pedestrian Ports and should probably have been in the 75-79 range.

That should be reflected in my scores for the 1985 horizontal once I find the time to post them.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not on a proper computer. But the short version; lots of VA issues, a handful of winners and lot of fully mature ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk