2007 Croft LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
AW77
Morgan 1991

2007 Croft LBV

Post by AW77 »

Bottled filtered (as confirmed by Croft which I asked by e-mail).
Pop'n'Pour:
1st glass: dark as ink, smells of gooseberry, medium body, not excessively sweet (almost half-dry in port terms), in the mouth gooseberry, sour cherry and a hint of marzipan, in the aftertaste acidity and a hint of marzipan, good length (30 sec)
2nd glass: it's smoother now, the marzipan taste in the aftertaste is more intensive now

I just closed the bottle with the stopper cork and put it in the fridge.

I tried it again at opening+21h: gooseberry in the nose, light body, strawberry + a hint of marzipan in the mouth, in the aftertaste an aggressive acidity which is not pleasant
At opening+25h it smelled of currant and as it got warmer of gooseberry, smooth in the mouth, the aggressive acidity is gone now, has a chocolate flavour in the mouth now, the marzipan taste is almost gone now.

I don't know what to make of this one. I had not bought it if I had know it had been filtered (as members rightly pointed out, filtered wines are not meant to be kept too long and as there is already the '08 and '09 LBV on the market, the '07 will have stayed some time in the bottle, the bottling date is not given on the bottle). This LBV was ok, but already going downhill. So I wouldn't buy it again.

Apparently Croft decided to filter their LBVs after the '05 vintage.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port