1996 Quinta do Vesuvio

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1996 Vesuvio vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

Despite having quite a stash of these, I was surprised to note that I hadn't opened one since Feb '06.

Decanted four hours ago - as with all Vesuvios, knowing when to stop pouring is always a problem, as the dark wine obscures the fine sediment - I may have stopped a little late..

No-one does a bouquet of blackcurrant quite like Vesuvio, and this bottle is no exception.

Sampling a modest glass I find it both very young and very approachable - the 'acceptable face of young port' perhaps...

That said, I am sure it will be much improved after another ten to twenty years - there's nothing short-haul about this - no inherent weakness.

See if it evolves..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Did I only decant this four days ago? - it seems like this decanter has been around for ages - I've had so many distractions..

Still, I've finished it now, and need to proffer a score..

For immediate gratification, I mark it down for it's youthfulness - others might be less critical on this front, but despite underlying quality, I can't give it more than 5 for here and now.

Where's it going? - Up!

With a lack of long term track record, and a very distinct signature, it's quite hard to predict where exactly this wine will be in another decade. It seems fairly forward, and I expect it to be pretty much fully mature in ten years - so I'll give it an 8.

So score 5-8

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill