1991 Gould Campbell

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1991 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

Decanted cleanly off quite a heavy crust for such a young VP. Despite the heavy crust it was still very dark. I did not take a TH for the first tasting so the next bit of this TN is from memory 24 hours on...

Decanted 3 Hours
Nice thick mouthfeel - full of very smooth chocolate and black fruits. A very satisfying glass of port with a nice warmth, reasonable levels of tannin and very well balanced. Good to drink right now.

+24 Hours
Softer than yesterday with less tannin evident and very little heat. The chocolate still dominates the flavours but more fruit now than before. Mouthwatering finish of black cherry.

This isn't a stunning wine by any stretch of the imagination but for immediate gratification I would give it a 7. Where is it going? Not enough grip to suggest it has a very long life ahead but will certainly see out the next 10 years in some style. So I will give it a 7-8.

I think this is definately a wine to buy a case of and drink one a year until gone.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn