1985 horizontal: Wed 25th Nov 2015, B&F

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: A 1985 horizontal

Post by flash_uk »

First post updated with some details. We need to pick a date. I'll send some suggestions around shortly and see if we can find one that works for most of us.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

If the timing works I would like to be there as well.

I can contribute some as well.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

This tasting needs an organiser. I’ll volunteer, possibly assisted by CPR, possibly to be replaced by CPR.

Objections?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Bravo! No objections from me, and can also help out where I can.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Dates
The vote thread is almost a draw. When Tom replies to my email asking for his availability, I’ll choose a date and allow a little time for objections. Failing cogent objection, that’ll be the date. Edit: Tom away from start-Jan. So it needs to be in 2015.

Format
Format. And this will be the format, unless either there is a clear contrary consensus or I change my mind.
• Lunchtime session: twelve single bottles.
• Evening, but starting 6pm or even 5½pm: two magnums (F and T), 13 singles (including F, T, G, D).
All sighted.
No single-session attendees. Those unable to attend lunch or evening attend neither.

I wanted to compare the Fonseca, Taylor, Graham and Dow together, the first two of which should be with the same-shipper magnums. To balance the sessions I think most of the other nine singles in the evening session should be from shippers of less repute.

Objections?
Objections? There is no pretence of democracy. If there is a clear contrary consensus, I’ll have to submit to the power of the street. Failing which, phrase your objections so as to persuade me.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Assuming that we are providing two bottles each, could I volunteer to provide singles of Graham and Fonseca?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Assuming that we are providing two bottles each, could I volunteer to provide singles of Graham and Fonseca?
Thank you.

But provision will be non-uniform, as few people have the lesser names. And already there are multiple offers of Fonseca, which in some sense is a good thing. Please could offers of provision prioritise non-Fonseca.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Of the lessers, I can offer Calem, Feuerheerd, Gould Campbell or Offley.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I am very lightly stocked on '85, but I have Calem, Churchill (in storage), and a couple of bottles of Feuerheed and Fonseca, if required.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Assuming that we are providing two bottles each, could I volunteer to provide singles of Graham and Fonseca?
Thank you.

But provision will be non-uniform, as few people have the lesser names. And already there are multiple offers of Fonseca, which in some sense is a good thing. Please could offers of provision prioritise non-Fonseca.
I don't have much by way of lesser name 1985s. I have easy access to Churchill or, with some notice, could pull Smith Woodhouse out of storage. Would either or both of these be preferable to Fonseca and / or Graham?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

We have a date. It doesn’t work for everybody, which I regret, but it works for as many people as possible, whether weighted equally or by number of bottles. That date is
Wednesday 25th November 2015
The Boot & Flogger has asked whether we will be using the usual menu or the Christmas menu, and I have promised that the food order will be sent ten days in advance.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1985 horizontal: Wed 25th Nov 2015, B&F

Post by WS1 »

good man! Well done!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

The day before the BBR port walk - that should be a fun week :D
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I won't make it, JDAW's rules requiring that attendance at both flights is compulsory, and my teaching continuing until 1300 that day. But we can celebrate my birthday (Monday) at the Port Walk instead (for those who aren't in Belfast the weekend before).
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:I won't make it, JDAW's rules requiring that attendance at both flights is compulsory, and my teaching continuing until 1300 that day. But we can celebrate my birthday (Monday) at the Port Walk instead (for those who aren't in Belfast the weekend before).
I could wear my fake beard and drink your first flight. JDAW will be so focused on decanting the magnums that he won't even notice ;-)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

djewesbury wrote:I won't make it, JDAW's rules requiring that attendance at both flights is compulsory, and my teaching continuing until 1300 that day. But we can celebrate my birthday (Monday) at the Port Walk instead (for those who aren't in Belfast the weekend before).
Hmm, you should still attempt to sneak in for the evening session to see if seats have already been abandoned after the lunch session...... :wink: :roll: :lol:

Since I have to work the next day I am happy to share my glass with you.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:
I could wear my fake beard and drink your first flight. JDAW will be so focused on decanting the magnums that he won't even notice ;-)
Come to think of it, I hereby raise an objection against this rule. Most people, being everyone other than the organiser, has to work for a living. Afternoons off work are easy for some, less easy for others and impossible for a few. If someone is willing to pay their share, turn up at 6pm and taste both flights in a speed-dating fashion I think that should be allowed.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If we are fewer than fourteen, join us for the evening. But evening-only would be thoroughly trumped by somebody able to do both sessions. (The exception applies only to Daniel. All others on parade at the start.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Post edited:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
If we are fewer than fourteen, join us for the evening. But evening-only would be thoroughly trumped by somebody able to do both sessions. (The exception applies only to Daniel. All others on parade at the start.)
Yes, sir. I will see you in the evening, numbers and rules permitting.

Derek, I'll post you the latest trimmings from my beard.
Daniel J.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:
Come to think of it, I hereby raise an objection against this rule. Most people, being everyone other than the organiser, has to work for a living. Afternoons off work are easy for some, less easy for others and impossible for a few. If someone is willing to pay their share, turn up at 6pm and taste both flights in a speed-dating fashion I think that should be allowed.
Daniel and speed dating port? Just think of the vision :lol:

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

WS1 wrote:
Hmm, you should still attempt to sneak in for the evening session to see if seats have already been abandoned after the lunch session...... :wink: :roll: :lol:

Since I have to work the next day I am happy to share my glass with you.

regards

WS1
A very civilised and generous offer. I hope, one way or another, that I will join you!
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Derek, I'll post you the latest trimmings from my beard.
That might be a difficult package to explain to Mrs T. :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Next task: shippers. The first post has been updated with understanding of what is available. Please could people look at what I think they’ve offered, and add if missing or correct if wrong.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

You are correct. T & F are all I have from 1985 and I am happy to supply both. As no one else who has declared is similarly limited please can I bagsie these?
Ernest H. Cockburn