New York February 14 1970 VP Tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Have we posted on FTLOP? I know that there are a number of FTLOP members in the NY/NJ area and they may be able to join us.

I am also dropping emails to a couple of people I know who might be interested, but the date is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Yes, I have posted both to FTLOP and Wine Spectator.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just an FYI....It was posted on FTLOP, however it was only posted as a direct link here. Unfortunitely, that violates the long standing rules on the forum and was deleted. However, posting the details of the offline is not, but posting a straight link to any other forum is.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

TPF and relevant links

Post by jdaw1 »

Just to be clear, on TPF you are not only allowed to include relevant links, you are positively invited to do so. Carry on.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Please blame me and not Andy.

We've been down this path before and I know it is all good here, but when putting in our rules of the road months ago, this was one of them.

Whether Julian, Alex, Eric or Jay would like to apply a post in the FTLOP's Portugal Travel, Food & Offline Planner Forum, please feel free to do so.

Although I would like to have attended as well, since I will be seeing you gents in Boston a few days earlier, I don't want to abuse the hospitality. If there are any particular 1970s that you are seeking, let me know. The only ones I can't part with are the last of my '70 Niepoort's & Nacional.

Roy
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Roy,

There's no problem with the links rule on FTLOP, it's a rule that you've been clear on for some time and one that occasionally gets missed but I don't think causes any hardship.

If I get the chance then I will encourage Jay to post a general invititation on FTLOP, but I may not be able to do so for a couple of days.

Alex

Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Thanks for understanding. You are a mensch!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Roy, it’s your site and your rule

Post by jdaw1 »

[Drifting further off topic] Roy, it’s your site and your rule, to have and to hold or to ditch and ignore. Why not tell us why it is there?
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Roy, if you are going to be in NYC on the 14th, why not join us?
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

Thank you for being magnanimous!

At the end of your planning, if you have a seat left, I might be able to swing through NY after Boston to attend. It would be an honor to meet you and share a great 1970 that is not included in your lineup. I don't know yet if I can even make it though, but should know no later than Monday. It is a matter of reconfiguring plans and I hope to be successful.

Again, my sincere appreciation!

Roy
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

I have invited a friend of mine, Bob Lipinsky, to join us and he has accepted. Bob is a port neophyte but quite interested. He will be excellent company.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ted Zhang and his wife are hoping to join us. Ted is a port lover with whom I have been exchanging emails for a while and I promised to meet up with him when I was next in New York.

Alex

Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Looks like this is going to work out after all. Now I just have to see how to triangulate flights with Seattle, Boston and New York.

Roy
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Save some CO2

Post by jdaw1 »

Roy Hersh wrote:Looks like this is going to work out after all. Now I just have to see how to triangulate flights with Seattle, Boston and New York.
Save some CO2. NY ↔ Boston can be by train.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Save some CO2

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Looks like this is going to work out after all. Now I just have to see how to triangulate flights with Seattle, Boston and New York.
Save some CO2. NY ↔ Boston can be by train.
Boston - NY is 3½ hours by train on the Amtrack Acela express. Arrives at Penn Station in New York.

Alex

Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for that info guys. I think you forget I am a native NYer and spent a combined 30 years living in NYC. :wink:

Looking forward to meeting Jay and others at this event!

Roy
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

I count six confirmed and three possibilities. Confirmed: Jay, Julian, Eric, Alex, Roy, Bob L. Possibilities: Ted and his wife, Sean C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Payment

Post by jdaw1 »

As a matter of good form, I think people should pay before the event. When numbers are clearer, please PM or email those coming with an amount, and your preferred means of being paid.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Roy Hersh wrote:Thanks for that info guys. I think you forget I am a native NYer and spent a combined 30 years living in NYC. :wink:

Looking forward to meeting Jay and others at this event!
Oops. Yes, I did forget. Sorry. :oops:

jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

We Are Up to Eight

Post by jfacciol »

We are now up to eight participants; Ted and Danielle Zang have joined us and are graciously bringing a bottle of 1970 Nacional. Roy has also graciously offered a bottle of 1970 Niepoort. Combine these two bottles with the seven that Julian listed in his draft placemats and we are well set for eight.

I could still accomodate two more folks so, if anyone is lurking out there and is still undecided, please let us all know. There would be no problem at this point in laying on more bottles. There could be a problem if someone joins us in just the last couple of days before 14 Feb as most of my stock is in storage just north of Hartford, Ct.

I am planning on supplying bread, crackers and cheese for the first couple of hours while we are doing serious tasting. At that point, my thought is that we can order in food if there is interest. There are plenty of excellent takeout joints nearby (excellent "real" pizza, or at least pizza made by Italians; excellent Lebanese; very good Thai; and so forth).

My thought is that we would start at 7 pm, although I would have no objection to starting at 6 pm if that was better for folks. I will forward my address to all of you shortly along with a breakdown of costs for the five of us (me, Julian, Eric, Alex and Bob) who are not bringing bottles.

What are everyone's thoughts on decanting times for the proposed nine bottles?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

ultra vires

Post by jdaw1 »

1. My suggested bottles were chosen at semi-random, and entirely ultra vires. Please do allow better reasoning about bottle choice. AHB may well have something coherent to say.
  2. 7pm works for me.
  3. An alternative accounting system would assign a value to all the bottles being brought, whether by our host or otherwise, with payments then going from those with sub-average bringing to those with above-average.
  4. You are doing plenty. Should I seize ancient powers and undertake to bring a selection of cheeses and breads?
  5. Please speak of glasses.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm very happy to go with the flow over the choice of ports we drink on Feb 14th - I am just thrilled and delighted to be visiting a foreign city and to be able to share some mighty fine ports with people I have and have not met before. It always makes travelling more bearable when this happens.

Jay and I have exchanged a few emails about possible ports, my only specific request was that I would love to be able to try the Taylor 1970 blend against the Vargellas 1970 SQ. I'm delighted to be able to try for the first time the Nacional (thanks Ted!) and the Niepoort (thanks Roy!). Other than that, most of the ports on the original list are ones that I have not drunk in the last couple of years since I do not generally drink many from the 1970 vintage - I'm not really sure why that is, it just seems to happen.

Alex

jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Ancient Powers?

Post by jfacciol »

Julian, ancient powers? All very mysterious. Anyway, it is a kind offer to bring the cheese and crackers but let it stay with me as I am the host.

On glasses, I have picked up 72 of the tasting glasses to which you introduced me. It would probably be helpful if you brought a few extra in case of any breakage.

Jay
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

drinking chum of two decades standing

Post by jdaw1 »

I might have enveigled into joining us, subject to wifely approval, a drinking chum of two decades standing (possessive—two decades’ standing? No. compound adjective—two-decades standing? Yuck.).

More to follow, on approval of his boss.
seth1917
Cruz Ruby

damn - can't make it

Post by seth1917 »

sorry for getting into the organizing so late - but I won't be able to make it. too bad - sound like it will be a great tasting - that'll show me to jump into the game earlier.

seth