Thu 17th March 2016 - The Fourth Annual Doty Cup

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Thu 10th March 2016 - The Fourth Annual Doty Cup

Post by Glenn E. »

Chris Doty wrote:what is the plural of y'all?
I presume that, as an American with Southern ties, I am disqualified from answering. :wink:

It's not quite as simple as singular/plural, though...
Glenn Elliott
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

well Glenn, if you are familiar with the answer, you likely would have observed that I grew tired of waiting...

:BronzeStar:
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

His Majesty King Chris,

I should be here in Blighty from 15th of March to the 23rd of March. With regards to Burgundy I feel most of our fellow Port drinkers in :tpf: rather do not like this style. The only burgundy I got AHB to like was some 1926 Clos de Vougeot which had definitely Syrah and or Grenache in it. He also appreciated some 1959 Beaune. But it is anyway rare a good 59 Burgundy to dislike! So I feel if we are not going into Vandermeulen bottelings which barrels before botteling very likely were topped up with port I am sorry to say to his Majesty this is a lost cause.
I am sure you find a funny theme for your cup :lol:

regards

the lesser humble subject
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Chris Doty wrote:well Glenn, if you are familiar with the answer, you likely would have observed that I grew tired of waiting...

:BronzeStar:
I did indeed.

The subtle difference is that "y'all" can be either singular or slightly plural in a specific sense, whereas "all y'all" is generically plural.

"Y'all" can mean one person or a small group of known/quantifiable members. When speaking to a friend, "y'all" might mean that friend's entire family, all of whom are known to the speaker. "All y'all" could also be used in that example, but typically refers to a larger group that may or may not be known/quantifiable. When speaking to said friend who was discussing having guests this weekend, "all y'all should come on over" would be an invitation to the friend and his or her (unknown to the speaker) guests.
Glenn Elliott
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:
I should be here in Blighty from 15th of March to the 23rd of March.
Is anyone in the UK familiar w/ Bill Murray's immortal classic (and oscar snub of the century) "What About Bob?"

This would be 'baby steps' ...

WS1 - As I am keen to have your company and solicit your feedback on the format, are there particular dates in my range that you would be able to commit firmly to?

How do either the 17th or 23rd look, for instance? The 17th is my strong preference, except that it would cost us AHB. I believe he can make the 23rd (Bridge?), but would need to see if the Sqaure has the room for that date.

Others interested please chime in.

woo woo
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Majesty King Chris,

I can do 17th of March or as well as 23rd of March. So so far no problem.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Unless our fearless leader objects, the theme of the placemats will be the twelve two-letter names in the King James Bible.
  • Ai (Joshua 7:2);
  • Ar (Numbers 21:15);
  • Ed (Joshua 22:34);
  • Er (Genesis 38:3);
  • Ir (Chronicles I 7:12);
  • No (Jeremiah 46:25)
  • Og (Numbers 21:33);
  • On (Numbers 16:11);
  • Pe (Psalm 119:129);
  • So (Kings II 17:4);
  • Ur (Genesis 11:28); and
  • Uz (Genesis 10:23).
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote:Unless our fearless leader objects,

yeah....about that....

I had been thinking, given my recent adventures on the subcontinent, that we would be using some form of local script (e.g., http://www.omniglot.com/writing/malayalam.htm)

feel free to explore and revert, if this hasn't extinguished your creative enthusiasm

woo woo
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I think we're now leaning towards the 17th, in which case I will be present but a wreck as I will be flying in from Dubai that morning on the overnight flight that leaves at 2am and arrives at 6.30am - or something equally stupid. However, as I won't be competing I can be a gibbering wreck. but not spoil the evening for anyone else.

Chris - is 17th now confirmed? If so I will change the title of this thread.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Thu 17th March 2016 - The Fourth Annual Doty Cup

Post by Chris Doty »

AHB wrote:
Chris - is 17th now confirmed? If so I will change the title of this thread.
Yes. This is happening on the 17th of March. I have emailed the square, but they haven't gotten back to me. I had arranged the prior two events through Katya, who has apparently moved on. Her replacement seems ... less responsive.

Please AHB reach out and see if the room/arrangement can be repeated. If not, please reach out The Portland for the same.

Looking forward to it, and as the date is fixed, for those people who think they have RSVP'd, please confirm your continued interest and availability on the 17th. Failure to do so will result in your replacement with people able to confirm (last minute cancellations, absent certificates of death, are ... )

OK good.

Let the games begin!

Also AHB - if you have the Cup engraved, why not share a photo to whet the collective appetite!?
Last edited by Chris Doty on 08:30 Wed 24 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

His Majesty King Chris,

just put it in the diary. 17th of March is confirmed. I assume we start 6:30PM. Do I need to bring any wine or port?

regards

Mark Twain
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

The 17th for the Doty Cup will be an honour and a pleasure if there is still a place for me. I shall look forward to the madness :D
Please let me know if any bottles are required, and if there are any other requirements to attend.

Many thanks,

Simon
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Good work, chaps. So far we have

1.) King
2.) Bridge
3.) WS1
4.) 420Dog
5.) My friend KP
6.) My friend AE
7.) My friend (and prior challenger) AB
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)

Reserves
1.) Jdaw

Leaving five spots and excessive interest...

Get while hot or wait for 2017 (Insha'Allah)
Last edited by Chris Doty on 08:31 Wed 24 Feb 2016, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Re: the first post

0.) The second line still (incorrectly) reads March 10th
1.) what is 'gently' competitive?
2.) No one has gotten out of the Square for 60gbp per person
3.) Presentations are expected to be 3-5 minutes, with questions from the judges and possibly also from other guests. (you may remember, two years ago, that Tokyo Tim's bid for the Cup was undone by his inability to explain the original significance of the Cherry Blossoms to the Japanese)
4.) Sadly, I have no reason to expect RAYC, and I am expecting KP, AE and AB

carry on.

ps - while tribute to the King may be accepted, no one is expected to bring wine to the tasting (that's my job).
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Chris Doty wrote:Re: the first post

3.) Presentations are expected to be 3-5 minutes, with questions from the judges and possibly also from other guests. (you may remember, two years ago, that Tokyo Tim's bid for the Cup was undone by his inability to explain the original significance of the Cherry Blossoms to the Japanese)
... .
What sort of presentations? His Majesty does know thanks to JDAW that I am the lesser humble subject so why doing a presentation about it? If you want me to hold a presentation about Chateauneuf du Pape I can do if wanted. But I would want to stress that I spend much more time drinking the stuff than reading about it. Leave this to others who feel reading educates you. I am not so sure; it sometimes helps but usually I need to sit down anyway and work it out myself. :lol:

means

Mark Twain
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:
What sort of presentations? His Majesty does know...
Well, actually WS1, for you, I have a special request. Given your extensive wine-related travels, I was hoping you could regale us (in your best french accent) with highlights from your vineyard visits (memorable personalities, best values, most beautiful vistas, language mishaps, etc). Think you can manage that?

don't let me down.

NO REGRETS. NO EXCUSES. PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:I had been thinking, given my recent adventures on the subcontinent, that we would be using some form of local script (e.g., http://www.omniglot.com/writing/malayalam.htm)

feel free to explore and revert
Maybe the technical challenge can be handled. But what natural twelve exists in this alphabet? I need the help of a local who has mastered the culture and the old and new orthography. CSD, perhaps.

I prefer the twelve the King-James-Bible two-letter names, some of whom were themselves kings.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote:what natural twelve exists in this alphabet? I need the help of a local who has mastered the culture and the old and new orthography
KP might be of assistance here, though I dispute that a n12 is required for our purposes (expand your mind)
jdaw1 wrote:I prefer the twelve two-letter names in the King James Bible.
well that's great - I look forward to seeing them at the first annual Wiseman Cup!
:330000: :shock:
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

AHB wrote: ...and last year JDAW presented on the 3 Body Problem with the help of some handy table-top articles.
When you put it like this, Jdaw's presentation was a terrible disappointment! 88)

ps - can i add/suggest some new 'smilies' ...please... ?
Last edited by Chris Doty on 17:23 Tue 23 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

AHB wrote:...because none of us are Masters of Wine...
Good summary, but you'll kindly refrain from speaking for me. :tpf:
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:But it is anyway rare a good 59 Burgundy to dislike!
Amen, my giant, german, yoda. :GoldStar:
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Chris Doty wrote:
WS1 wrote:
What sort of presentations? His Majesty does know...
Well, actually WS1, for you, I have a special request. Given your extensive wine-related travels, I was hoping you could regale us (in your best french accent) with highlights from your vineyard visits (memorable personalities, best values, most beautiful vistas, language mishaps, etc). Think you can manage that?

don't let me down.

NO REGRETS. NO EXCUSES. PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION.
Can do but 3-5 minutes is tight; I think I will just start talking and you stop me at one stage you feel it is enough.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:I think I will just start talking and you stop me at one stage you feel it is enough.
And it is a stunned silence as WS1 effortlessly, gracefully, naturally, glides into pole position.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=98347#p98347]Here[/url] Chris Doty wrote:I had been thinking, given my recent adventures on the subcontinent, that we would be using some form of local script (e.g., http://www.omniglot.com/writing/malayalam.htm)

feel free to explore and revert
I have explored, and am unable to get any Malayalam script to render using my software. This is being filed under ‘known bugs about which nothing will ever be done’.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote:I have explored, and am unable...

Huh. Well, my technical prowess not being what it never was, I don't have much to say here, except to ask - is this problem the same across all 345+ languages found on the subcontinent? Can't do Hindi, Kanada, tamil, etc. etc. ? That would seem like a pretty huge limitation in your otherwise very malleable and impressive software...

If we were going to do something biblical, I would ask you to consult the Jerusalem Bible, rather than the KJ (for obvious reasons)...

thanks Jdaw

woo woo