The new woman in the life of jdaw1

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The wife I went to that which the locals call a movie theatre, to see Atonement, an excellent film based on the eponymous†  book by Ian McEwan. Very good, closely following the author’s words, and well worth seeing. So the wife, with eyes wet from the unhappy plot ending, and I, go to the new local restaurant, Dovetail, owned and chefed by John Fraser, former head chef of the also-excellent Compass. Alas Dovetail isn’t for the budget conscious.

And there she was. Jennifer Lordan. After a few moments of conversation it became clear that this woman, the sommelier, knows a lot about, and seems to collect, sherry. Sherry!

Yes, she is keen arrange and lead a sherry tasting for a group of people, even after it was emphasised that I know little of sherry. And yes, we can even do our port tastings in the ‘sherry cellar’. Oh yes, I will be seeing more of Jennifer Lordan.

Sherry

So, are any TPFers near or in New York on for a team sherry tasting? We would allow a budget (say $100 per person), and invite her to do her best. A selection of six to eight sherries, chosen to educate port lovers in the arts and sciences of this Spanish wonder. Who’s in?

An email will be sent to Jennifer Lordan (cc the missus) referring her to this thread, and inviting her to the 1970 horizontal.

†  Can one use “eponymous† in this way? Usually it refers to something with the same name as a person: can it be correctly used in this two-things-with-the-same-name way?
Last edited by jdaw1 on 05:08 Wed 09 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

How cool, I wish I was closer to the east coast so I could make more of the offlines out there.

When ever you make it the west coast, let me know

andy

PS, I sent you an email...the site seems to be running better now.
Last edited by Andy Velebil on 05:10 Wed 09 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Assuming that the date works, I would be very interested in a sherry tasting.

I would have thought that "book of the same name" would be the proper phrasing.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

You’re right, but insufficiently flamboyant.

Post by jdaw1 »

jfacciol wrote:I would have thought that "book of the same name" would be the proper phrasing.
You’re right, but insufficiently flamboyant.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

A fine movie but not Oscar worthy, however enjoyable and well-acted. I liked it slightly more than my wife who might be the toughest movie critic I know considering how few she enjoys and the many she views.

Sherry is a fine tipple and I personally enjoy slmost all, especially in the Amontillado and Olorosso styles and certainly Pedro is a friend of mine. However, I can never wrap my head around FINO and I love most dry styles of wine and especially SERCIAL when speaking oxidative fortifieds. But there is just something about it that I've never acquired a taste for, similar to my dislike for Grappa and Cognac too.

I guess you can't love everything that comes from a grape.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

enough expensive habits

Post by jdaw1 »

There must come a point at which one has enough expensive habits.
SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by SEAN C. »

Let me know when...I may be interested..I'm just hoping I won't like the stuff!
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I may be into it as well if SeanC is going and it's a weekend. I am a sherry fan, but outside of Lustau, I know very little.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Oh very nice. I like mosesbotbol also only know the Lustau which doesn't feel very mu ch like a sherry but more so like a syrup.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NY on an evening between Sunday and Tuesday?

Post by jdaw1 »

Bostonites: it’s going to be much easier for this to happen on a Sunday or early in the week. When can you find an excuse to be in NY on an evening between Sunday and Tuesday inclusive?

I’m told that JL is planning a tasting, covering the range of styles in and methods by which sherry is made. JL will lead the tasting, educating a crowd of enthusiasts of non-Spanish fortifieds. Dovetail sell by the glass something like nine or ten different sherries, that number still growing, and costing $9 to $13 a glass. So nine-ish times an average of eleven-ish bucks will be something like $100 a head for drink.

PS: JL’s thoughts on an old sherry can be found here.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Sherry tasting

Post by jdaw1 »

So I went in to Dovetail (to arrange a table for the 1977 horizontal) and she said that she had been terribly busy (some excuse about a review in a newspaper—it made no sense), but would be more proactive about arranging a tasting quite soon. I await developments.