Wokingham, Tuesday 20th May 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: ‘Blinded’ Tasting Mats

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:I think the second language used is Portuguese. Should it be German?
German and Braille added.
Excellent. Thanks.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: ‘Blinded’ Tasting Mats

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:‘Blinded’ Tasting Mats: drafted. I’ve assumed everyone to be right-handed.
Sighted tasting mats also updated.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Blinded tasting mats are likely to be the ones chosen and used. Are these intended to be printed onto A3 or A4? Also, should I use A3 or A4 for the tasting notes sheets?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Everything A4 for ease of printing — hence two sheets …

Post by jdaw1 »

Everything A4 for ease of printing — hence two sheets of glasses.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Blind tasting mats appear to print perfectly - albeit with the Braille imperceptible to my fingers and thumbs.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As reported earlier, AHB and I have been discussing food and stuff behind the scenes. During our discussion it occurred to us that we need to ensure that everyone has access to an appropriate beverage to enjoy with their meal. This obviously cannot be any of the 1980 VPs as there is no allocated space for a dinner plate on the Tasting Mats.

We therefore need to decide what to drink with our meal. Suggestions so far are:
  1. Vintage Port
  2. Red unfortified wine of some description
  3. Water
Can all attendees please choose from the following options:
  1. I am a port guzzling, decanter emptying, red-blooded macho-man and I need Vintage Port with my steak
  2. I am a lightweight so please can I have some red French stuff
  3. I am a lilly-livered wuss and I would like some water
Thanks

Derek

PS: Please note that all drinks will be supplied by the Catering Committee
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I am a lilly-livered wuss and I would like some water.

Post by jdaw1 »

I am a lilly-livered wuss and I would like some water.

Please.

Though, given that it’s a magnum, the larger bottle of F80 might seem like a sensible back-up possibility (should the water supply fail).
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I am (1) and (3).

I require port mixed with water.

However, I will carry out the delicate mixing exercise within the confines of my stomach.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So far we have one lily livered nancy-boy who wishes he was brave enough to vote for number one and a macho man with a feminine side.

Any more votes?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Libel

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:one lily livered nancy-boy who wishes he was brave enough
Libel! Libel, as well you should know. I might wish that I were brave enough, but I certainly do not wish that I was brave enough. Decency and honour necessitate an immediate retraction and apology.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Libel

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:one lily livered nancy-boy who wishes he was brave enough
Libel! Libel, as well you should know. I might wish that I were brave enough, but I certainly do not wish that I was brave enough. Decency and honour necessitate an immediate retraction and apology.
I apologise and retract the accusation that you wish you "was" brave enough but am happy to confirm that we have one lilly-livered nancy-boy who wishes he were brave enough to vote for number 1.
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Are we dealing with lilies or lillies? I'm getting confused.

Where's the beer option?

Can I have all three?
Port is basically a red drink
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Im happy with whatever you guys drink as long as Im not totally drunk before the tasting starts.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:Are we dealing with lilies or lillies? I'm getting confused.

Where's the beer option?

Can I have all three?
You can have all three. That is perfectly acceptable in a red blooded Englishman (or honorary Englishman based in Germany, we are all from the same Anglo-Saxon rootstock).

Beer is available if you bring it yourself. The Wokingham branch of the catering committee does not have access to such Godforsaken substances.

Alex

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:Im happy with whatever you guys drink as long as Im not totally drunk before the tasting starts.

Axel
Being (or not being) totally drunk is outside the scope of responsibility of the Catering Committee. I'm afraid you will have to take personal responsibility for this.

Although phrased in a lighthearted manner, Derek's question is a serious one. He and I are trying to judge how many bottles of wine or non-1980 port to ensure we bring for the meal. If you haven't replied, then please do.

Thanks

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote: That is perfectly acceptable in a red blooded Englishman (or honorary Englishman based in Germany, we are all from the same Anglo-Saxon rootstock
I have no issue with being accused of being German but any suggestion that I may be in any way genetically related to Englishmen will be met by "shock-and-awe" style resistance :shock:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:
AHB wrote: That is perfectly acceptable in a red blooded Englishman (or honorary Englishman based in Germany, we are all from the same Anglo-Saxon rootstock
I have no issue with being accused of being German but any suggestion that I may be in any way genetically related to Englishmen will be met by "shock-and-awe" style resistance :shock:

Derek
Regretfully (I'm not sure whether that is regretfully for you or for me) you are from the same rootstock as the English. You may have to go via the Scandinavians (but you are not blue eyed or blonde), but you are definitely from the same rootstock.

In fact, one could even describe you as being materially identical to an Englishman.

On the other hand, I - who was born in Cyprus with no more than 50% English blood in my heritage - may have a more substantial claim to be "non-English"

What do you think?

Alex <<using a BlackBerry so can't use emoticons emoticon>>

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:

Derek
Regretfully (I'm not sure whether that is regretfully for you or for me) you are from the same rootstock as the English. You may have to go via the Scandinavians (but you are not blue eyed or blonde), but you are definitely from the same rootstock.

In fact, one could even describe you as being materially identical to an Englishman.

On the other hand, I - who was born in Cyprus with no more than 50% English blood in my heritage - may have a more substantial claim to be "non-English"

What do you think?

Alex <<using a BlackBerry so can't use emoticons emoticon>>
According to my family tree I am roughly three quarters Irish Celt and do not know what "caught mid-wicket" means. I am therefore safe in the knowledge that I am from a materialy separate strain of humanity than your average Moris Dancer.

If you want to go back far enough, I suppose we all have to admit to being from the same root-stock that was imported and planted in these parts from Africa in pre-Phyloxera days.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Summary of Arrangements

Post by jdaw1 »

Since we are so far off-topic, I might as well be on an earlier off-topic.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=12123#12123]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:I’m pondering the merits of adding another feature to the placemat software, but it wouldn’t work nicely on a decanter label. Do you use decanters or double-decant into bottles?
AHB wrote:Through a combination of using my own decanters and water jugs and whatever I can borrow, I intend to use decanters on May 20.

But pray tell what the new developments will be.
The new ‘CirclifyTitles’ feature (described on the usual page) was used for a recent Madeira tasting. Note the cool vertical s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g of the titles, achieved by the code calling the TransformPath routine. But unwise if the decanter labels are to be pasted onto the back of a business card.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

AHB wrote:
KillerB wrote:Are we dealing with lilies or lillies? I'm getting confused.

Where's the beer option?

Can I have all three?
You can have all three. That is perfectly acceptable in a red blooded Englishman (or honorary Englishman based in Germany, we are all from the same Anglo-Saxon rootstock).

Beer is available if you bring it yourself. The Wokingham branch of the catering committee does not have access to such Godforsaken substances.

Alex
Hmmm.....

I dont think even one of Julians cooky formula's could connect those two sentences.
Well you Red Blooded Males....Have fun. :lol:

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Axel P wrote:Im happy with whatever you guys drink as long as Im not totally drunk before the tasting starts.

Axel
You're attending a tasting with the British, don't ask for things that are not possible.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Placemats updated

Post by jdaw1 »

Adding BB and the Ferreira, so blinded placemats updated, and also sighted placemats updated.

Because of the the extra glass the paper size changed to A3. (Another glass and it goes back to 2Ã A4.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Placemats updated

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Adding BB and the Ferreira
I know of Ferreira. BB is unfamiliar to me but is a welcome addition to the line-up. Were did we find him (or her)?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The latest event summary update:

When: Tuesday May 20, 2008 at 7pm
Where: Wokingham â€‟ exact address to be supplied by PM
What: A 1980 Horizontal
Tasting Mats: Drafted, and being revised regularly.
Who: Confirmed:
  • AHB, whose house it is and who will be working from home on the 21st
    AP, who has bagsied an air matress
    ARK, who has bagsied a blow-up mattress on the floor
    BB â€‟ a friend of AHB, whose accommodation is yet to be organised
    DRT, who has bagsied the sofa.
    JDAW, who has bagsied the bed
    THRA (currently rated as porbable)
    WS, who has to work the following day and so has to leave before things get too carried away
Confirmed non-attendees: Bottle Options: We’ve now abandoned the pretence of bringing only one bottle each. I believe that the current view of who brings what is: Assuming that THRA will be attending then all spaces around my table have been taken, although I am still willing to wait-list people if there is someone else desperate to attend. The glasses and decanter problems have been solved, with the kind help of ARK, DRT, JDAW and THRA.

I will be travelling to Sussex between now and May 20, in order to collect port and/or glasses as this has now been established as being helpful.

JDAW - please request that your father sets aside the bottles above with your initials indicated, plus any others that you would like me to collect for onward distribution to others. If we open your Offley then we will ensure that some financial rebalancing takes place to reflect the fact that you will have provided three bottles. If THRA is able to confirm attendance then we will return your bottle unopened (assuming that THRA provides the Offley).

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Julian - please could you amend the blind mats to include a 12th "control" bottle. We will leave this to one side of the tasting mats if we decide to go with the named mats.

Thanks,

Alex