Wokingham, Tuesday 20th May 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1980 horizontal

Post by DRT »

In true democratic style I would like to suggest that we set the theme as a 1980 Horizontal. Dissenters have 48 hours to disagree.

The line-up so far is:
  • Fonseca;
  • Graham;
  • Noval Nacional;
  • Offley Boa Vista;
  • Taylor;
  • Warre.
Dow is sadly missing :cry:

Possible attendees:
  • AHB (if at weekend and not north of Manchester)
  • Conky (if not south of somewhere that counts as "London")
  • Derek T. (the Martini girl)
  • Ghahhhhhndihhh (if someone will sell him a bottle)
  • Jdaw
  • KillerB
More bottles and more attendees are required.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:In true democratic style I would like to suggest that we set the theme as a 1980 Horizontal. Dissenters have 48 hours to disagree.

The line-up so far is:
  • Fonseca;
  • Graham;
  • Noval Nacional;
  • Ofey Boa Vista;
  • Taylor;
  • Warre.
Dow is sadly missing :cry:

Possible attendees:
  • AHB (if at weekend and not north of Manchester)
  • Conky (if not south of somewhere that counts as "London")
  • Derek T. (the Martini girl)
  • Ghahhhhhndihhh (if someone will sell him a bottle)
  • Jdaw
  • KillerB
More bottles and more attendees are required.

Derek
I've got a bottle of Smith Woodhouse 1980 which I will now keep to one side for the end of May.

The weekend after JDAW attends his conference is the late May bank holiday weekend, so giving additional recovery time if required.

Also, my preferred venue would be a Saturday afternoon in Birmingham so that I can do this in a day trip. Manchester would be a tough stretch.

But I'll do my best to fit in around others - and assuming that I don't get sent to some far flung land!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote: The weekend after JDAW attends his conference is the late May bank holiday weekend, so giving additional recovery time if required.
Does this open up the possibility of a Sunday event? Easier for me to swing than a Saturday and we could all have the Monday to recover.

I still have a preference for midweek in the big smoke for this one.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

We need some guidance from Julian as to what would work for him. I can't make a mid-week session during the week commencing 19 May as I am on child-minding duties...unless we have it in my house in Wokingham :idea: I could make a London based mid-week session the week commencing 12 May or the week commencing 26 May (other than the Monday or Tuesday) or a port event on, say, Sunday 25 May in London or Birmingham.

What works for others? While I'd like to be a part of the "Welcome Home Julian" party I will happily accept it if the majority view means that I can't attend.

Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Although I said London is out for me, I'm hoping that the Summer Bash might come off. So as its convenient for the majority, why dont you focus on the Crusting Pipe for this one. I would have tried to have made a Birmingham venue, but now there's something else to look forward to, I think you should just make the decision, and revert to your Staus Quo.

Alan.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I need to make plans and book flights. Your role in this is, for the moment, establishing a date. Reminder: I am speaking at a conference on Thursday 22nd May 2008, so a date near that, but not Wed 21st, is desired.

Proposal: Thursday 22nd May 2008. Who would be in?

(Sorry Alex, but I probably ought to be doing family visiting duties on dates significantly far from Thu 22nd.)

We should also be edging towards a decision on which tasting theme. If it is this date, thus eliminating Alex, then we are back to the Arrow’s theorem problem: G vertical or 80 horizontal?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I can't make a mid-week session during the week commencing 19 May as I am on child-minding duties...unless we have it in my house in Wokingham :idea:
AHB,

Was this a serious suggection/offer?

Whilst I could probably re-arrange my life to attend an Offline in London on Thursday I would rather do a night earlier in the week. May I suggest, subject to AHB telling us it was a joke, that we hold the Offline at AHB's house in Wokingham on Tuesday 20th May?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Tracy Turnblat wrote: Dow is sadly missing
Doesn't the Crusting Pipe have a supply of Dow 1980?
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Yes, they do, but so do Farr's for about £35 a bottle :shock: - £500 minimum spend :cry:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Tracy Turnblat wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Yes, they do, but so do Farr's for about £35 a bottle :shock: - £500 minimum spend :cry:
£340 per case, which is £28.33 ea. Finding another £160 worth and doing a TPF special split might work.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Tracy Turnblat wrote:
KillerB wrote:
£340 per case, which is £28.33 ea. Finding another £160 worth and doing a TPF special split might work.
My £35 per bottle included an estimate of Duty and VAT. Not sure if Farr's £500 minimum includes those elements or is just the IB price?

A TPF special split is a definate possibility. I would take 4.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I'm afraid I'm out as I'm off on holiday a couple of day's after
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

(I.e., turn around touch the ground bagsy me a bed!)

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Wokingham on Tuesday 20th May?
Works for me, subject to there being a bed available. (I.e., turn around touch the ground bagsy me a bed!)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:
AHB wrote:I can't make a mid-week session during the week commencing 19 May as I am on child-minding duties...unless we have it in my house in Wokingham :idea:
AHB,

Was this a serious suggestion/offer?

Whilst I could probably re-arrange my life to attend an Offline in London on Thursday I would rather do a night earlier in the week. May I suggest, subject to AHB telling us it was a joke, that we hold the Offline at AHB's house in Wokingham on Tuesday 20th May?

Derek
I was serious. If folks are willing to meet up in Wokingham so that I can honour my parenting duties while still taking part in an offline then I can certainly host a tasting on Tuesday 20th May.

I can fit 12 (at a push) round the dining table. I only have 1 spare bed but there are two B&Bs within 5 minutes walk of the house on which I can post details, plus a sofa and a large living room floor with two inflatable mattresses.

Wokingham is about 5 minutes south of junction 10 of the M4 or on the Waterloo-Reading rail line, with my house being 5-10 minutes walk from the station. I will be working in London on Tuesday and can meet up with anyone else travelling to Wokingham from London in the afternoon.

If I host, I'll even throw in a fried breakfast for those who would like one!

The offer holds true if Thursday 22nd May is selected as the offline date.

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Wokingham on Tuesday 20th May 2008 works for me.

Post by jdaw1 »

Wokingham on Tuesday 20th May 2008 works for me. And I bagsied the bed!

But Wokingham on Thursday 22nd May presents difficulties with timing: the conference would delay my arrival until most of 8pm.

There are possible issues with my getting bottles from my father’s to Wokingham: those travelling on the A23 between now and then are invited to tell me so.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Tuesday 20th May sounds as though it's confirmed - any dissenters?

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Turn around touch the ground bagsy me a sofa bed :wink: (will supply own sleeping bag)

Turn around touch the ground bagsy me a fried breakfast :D

Now we need a theme.

I vote Grahams and can supply 63, 75 and 91

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Graham’s vertical

Post by jdaw1 »

Three is quorate. I hereby declare the tasting, in honour of my homecoming, to be in Wokingham in the evening (and perhaps afternoon) of Tuesday 20th May 2008.

Will anybody be on the A23 between now and then? I have some Goodies in West Sussex.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9970#9970]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:A Graham’s vertical would be of even greater interest. Possible contributions from me include:
  • Graham’s 1927 (my only bottle, costing £268·20);
  • Graham’s 1945 (my only bottle, part of a mixed lot, and having similar cost);
  • Graham’s 1963 (my only bottle);
  • Graham’s 1977 (I have too much);
  • Graham’s 1980 (I have 23 bottles remaining);
  • Graham’s 1985 (a staple of my diet).
Some financial rebalancing might be required if the older bottles are to be brought into play.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Three is quorate. I hereby declare the tasting, in honour of my homecoming, to be in Wokingham on evening (and perhaps afternoon) of Tuesday 20th May 2008.

Will anybody be on the A23 between now and then? I have some Goodies in West Sussex.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9970#9970]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:A Graham’s vertical would be of even greater interest. Possible contributions from me include:
  • Graham’s 1927 (my only bottle, costing £268·20);
  • Graham’s 1945 (my only bottle, part of a mixed lot, and having similar cost);
  • Graham’s 1963 (my only bottle);
  • Graham’s 1977 (I have too much);
  • Graham’s 1980 (I have 23 bottles remaining);
  • Graham’s 1985 (a staple of my diet).
Some financial rebalancing might be required if the older bottles are to be brought into play.
There is a very small chance that I will be in Sussex during the last week of March. If so, I can collect Goodies. If not, perhaps it is not too far for AHB to collect at some point?

I think we need more people if we are to begin adding some older bottles.

I see that Jdaw1 has 1 bottle of the G63. I have 3. I know that AHB has more than 3 :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I think we need more people if we are to begin adding some older bottles.
Have just invited a few fine friends of mine—though mid-week play might not be easy for all of them. They own no Graham’s, so would adopt a bottle or split cost.
Derek T. wrote:I see that Jdaw1 has 1 bottle of the G63. I have 3. I know that AHB has more than 3 :roll:
In which case I’d rather hold on to my lonesome last bottle.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A thought:

If it ends up being only 3 or 4 of us would a 1980 Horizontal be more practical as the average bottle price would be lower, thereby allowing us to indulge in more bottles without worrying too much about waste? (not that I envisage there being any)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

G vertical or 80 horizontal

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:If it ends up being only 3 or 4 of us would a 1980 Horizontal be more practical as the average bottle price would be lower, thereby allowing us to indulge in more bottles without worrying too much about waste? (not that I envisage there being any)
If the oldest Goodie were 1963 — others being ’70, ’75, ’77, ’80, ’83, ’85, ’91, or similar (which doesn’t mention the embarrassing ’75!), or maybe some Malvedos — would the cost be so different?

But I’m amenable to either a G vertical or an ’80 horizontal. Perhaps our newly-appointed host should choose? If his decision matches his vote, it’ll be the horizontal:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=10453#10453]Here[/url] AHB wrote:If we leave it open to democracy, I'll vote for the 1980 horizontal since I think 1980 is a significantly overlooked vintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Have we decided on a theme? If it's a 1980H then at least three of us can now offer a Dow :wink:

In terms of planning worky things I could do with confirmation of the date and place at least. The theme we can decide once the attendees are known.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I have three 1980s (now) and no fully declared Graham's. Malvedos I can do. I am quietly fond of 1980.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:I have three 1980s (now) and no fully declared Graham's. Malvedos I can do. I am quietly fond of 1980.
I think that is a quorum. 1980 it is.

AHB and Jdaw. Please confirm time and place.

Thanks

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn