Wokingham, Tuesday 20th May 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Just got back from the US

Very nervous about going outside the M25 on a school night but if there is still a place would love to attend. It will also provide the motivation for getting the Dow 80 purchase delivered and allocated out sorry for the delay here.
While in the US met up with ADV and had an excellent bottle of Warre 77 together with an excellent steak which was much appreciated!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Delighted Christopher can join us for the 1980 horizontal. In about a week's time I will send out an email to all attendees giving directions etc. The summary of arrangements has been updated to show Christopher's attendance.

In summary, you can train from Waterloo to Wokingham on the SW Trains service from Waterloo to Reading. Journey time is around 1 hour 10 minutes from Waterloo or 1 hour from from Clapham Junction. Trains back to London leave at 10:56 and 11:26pm or the 05:56 on Wednesday morning would get you in to the office around 7:30am. It takes around 10 minutes to walk from my house to the station.

Let us know what (if any) 1980s you have available to bring. If you don't have any then drop me an email and we can sort out an adoption.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent news.

I am glad Christopher has decided to join us as it will allow us to test whether or not Londoners turn to pillars of salt if caught outside the M25 after midnight :lol: :lol:

Alex, does this give us another glassware issue?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:Alex, does this give us another glassware issue?
No, I don't think so as Christopher is a direct replacement for Wolfgang. While we do have a problem, the same solution is still applicable.

Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Alex,

since Derek has askes me to bring more glasses for him, could I trouble you for a pillow- and blanket-like item, since I have more room to bring stuff?

Dont worry I will use your toothbrush after you finished brushing.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:Alex,

since Derek has askes me to bring more glasses for him, could I trouble you for a pillow- and blanket-like item, since I have more room to bring stuff?

Dont worry I will use your toothbrush after you finished brushing.

Axel
A pillow and sleeping bag should be no problem. I think that you also have reserved one of the inflatable mattresses.

Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Thanks,

Axel
Last edited by Axel P on 16:19 Mon 05 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Admin2 Note: The post that caused AHB to quote this can be found here
Derek T. wrote:I just bought these...

Rather than various decanters being carried from the four corners of the land to Wokingham should I just bring these and we use the original bottles instead?

Derek
Personally, I would rather use decanters as I have had direct experience of the difference that decanting (as opposed to double decanting) can make to the way a port shows. With some people attending only having 3 hours to appreciate the wines, I would like to allow them (the wines) to breathe as effectively as possible.

However, if others would prefer to use the tasting jackets then I would be happy to oblige.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

No problem, Alex. I'm happy to bring decanters if that is what is preferred and we can keep these for TCP Off-lines where decanters are not an option.

I agree that decanters will allow the wines to open up and show their best faster than in the bottles would.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Is it time to stand the Warre up?
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Is it time to stand the Warre up?
That depends on the decanting strategy, which I do not think has been discussed and agreed as yet.

So, Oh Great and Wise Port Sage of Wokingham, are we to decant and bring or bring and decant? (the latter using our trusty Jdaw TDKs, of course)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Bring and decant.

You can start decanting as soon as you arrive. There should be someone in the house from about 11am, but he is likely to be jet-lagged and grumpy if disturbed before 3pm.

Alex

uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I plan to decant the Offley (already stood up) the previous evening, returning it to the bottle for the journey down.

As I shall be driving, does anyone need any supplies?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

A bonus two hours sleep would be a boon to a working woman

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:You can start decanting as soon as you arrive. There should be someone in the house from about 11am, but he is likely to be jet-lagged and grumpy if disturbed before 3pm.
A bonus two hours sleep would be the proverbial boon to a working woman. But of course I know the priorities, and am hence willing to do such decanting and admitting tasks as are required.

(Ignoring all this off-topic 1977 stuff. Of which I have in the UK: Delaforce, Dow, Fonseca, Graham’s, Poças Júnior, Quarles Harris, Royal Oporto, Sandeman, and Taylor. But I’m travelling to my father’s at the end of my trip so couldn’t get you any anyway.)

Derek T.: you told me that in the 48 hours before the F-plan you had four hours sleep. Now you be a good boy and go to bed early the night before. You’ll be having a tiring day ahead of you.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A bonus two hours sleep would be a boon to a working wom

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: Derek T.: you told me that in the 48 hours before the F-plan you had four hours sleep. Now you be a good boy and go to bed early the night before. You’ll be having a tiring day ahead of you.
Yes Sir. I will be sure to have at least 4.5 hours sleep on the night of 19th May to ensure AHBs kitchen floor remains uninhabited throughout the following evening.

Is anyone as excited as a small child yet? I am :D

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

The Warre is standing - I will double-decant before setting out.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The Nacional is also standing and will be Double D'd on Tuesday morning.

Bouncing? Me? Yes :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Graham's (JDAW), Taylor (JDAW), Smith Woodhouse (AHB), Fonseca (in bottle, AHB), Dow (ARK - replacement as Farr's Dow '80s have not yet arrived) and AHB mystery addition were all stood to attention in a cool, dark place this morning.

I wouldn't describe myself so much as excited, more as running round frantically trying to get everything ready.

But I am very much looking forward to drinking some good port in fine company.

Those who have promised decanters or glasses, please don't forget to bring them.

Also, those who are driving please be aware that Arthur Road is currently a building site as the Gas Board have decided to renew our gas mains. This may limit parking on the road. I will attempt to manouvre my car so that at least two other cars can be parked on the drive, so minimising the difficulties in finding acceptable spots at the kerbside. (It may also limit supplies of hot water and the ability to cook on a hob.)

Errm. Any suggestions as to what is customary to be eaten with a large steak? Shall I also buy a sackfull of mushrooms or will the outsourced French Fries be sufficient?

PS - Messers Admins; please could we move the conversation on the 1977 ports to the Holland July 2 offline thread? Thank you.

Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Well I am usually the one digging up the road to replace the gas main's it's just a pity it was not your street or you would have another guest. :)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote: Errm. Any suggestions as to what is customary to be eaten with a large steak? Shall I also buy a sackfull of mushrooms or will the outsourced French Fries be sufficient?
Large steak and outsourced french fries will do for me.

Glasses and decanters are already in my car.

Do we need some contingency throw-away BBQs in case there is no gas?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Mushrooms - I can get some.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

AHB wrote: Errm. Any suggestions as to what is customary to be eaten with a large steak?
In my own experience ( I am have lots when it comes to food!) large steak is best served rare / medium rare with boiled new potatoes, green beans and lots of english mustard.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:Do we need some contingency throw-away BBQs in case there is no gas?
No. The recently purchased Weber and a large amount of charcoal are available and may even be the preferred means of cooking a large quantity of steak when I don't possess a griddle. Is anyone feeling like a cave-man and willing to volunteer to burn the steaks whilst I am acting as an unpaid taxi driver to children and mother-in-law?

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:Mushrooms - I can get some.
Excellent. I'll levae you to forage in the woods tonight.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

benread wrote: boiled new potatoes
Everything else sounds perfect. I shudder at the thought of boiled new potatoes unless subsequently fried in goose fat.