In making suggestions I have also considered what I have that I could bring, which is premature but sensible.
- A 'port I own for which there isn't a tasting note on the tasting notes list' tasting.
This would be likely to produce some cheerfully bad ports but maybe also a few gems. I have a Sainsbury's (Quinta Dona Matilde) 1985, which might well be in the former category...
- An NV (i.e. not colheita port) 40-year-old tawny tasting
There are circa 22 on the market that I am aware of, so we could do a fairly representative selection quite easily. I only have Andresen and Taylors immediately to hand, but I am in the process of stocking up on some of the more obscure releases.
- It's been, I think, 12 years since there was a broad 1980 tasting
...to go with the below-suggested 1950 horizontal tasting, uncle tom's 1960 birthday tasting, the 1970 tasting... from 1980 I only have G and D (plus GC in halves).
- A 1950 horizontal tasting
Although for jdaw1's tastes the ship may have sailed on these, I imagine AHB might enjoy it. But I was in two minds about whether to suggest it. It may be that the view is that wines of this age are best drunk as single bottles on their own, rather than compared and contrasted. It would also be a fairly limited event- I am aware only of 9 VPs (Ck, Cr, OBV, N, S, SW, TH, D, RP) plus the TSQ- and also these seem to have become really rather expensive while I wasn't looking. I only have a solitary bottle of D (for which, I also note, there isn't a tasting note on the tasting notes list).
- jdaw1 suggested a madeira tasting. One for possible further discussion. Madeira is/was my primary vinous interest but, after all, this is a port forum. Also, to do it in a way that was interesting and informative would make it a fairly expensive adoption process.
I have all the wines in my own cellar to do a double/triple run of the major grapes (Sercial Verdelho Bual Malmsey Terrantez) in a way that would also illustrate the various styles available, plus examples of bar steward*, Moscatel, and Listrao (the latter is a variety grown only on Porto Santo). I drank my last old bottle of fortified Verdelho from Pico (in the Azores) twenty years ago, but it wasn't in truth very good so I am not worried about excluding that...
- As for the 1992 horizontal tasting jdaw1 is planning to arrange - like CSD, I'm also available that day...
* The filter does not accept the name of the grape, but you can probably work it out