Virtual tasting #4, Thursday 30 April

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Virtual tasting #4, Thursday 30 April

Post by jdaw1 »

MPM: Bottle was bottom-neck. Copper-amber, 20%–30% opaque. Rich nose. red fruits, Christmas cake, cherries, explosion of scents all of them lovely and sweet. Smell and taste about 15 years older than the wine is. Oranges, marmaladey nose. Nose massively rich, sweet fruits, apricot. Palate really silky, lovely balance, tannins gone, soft sweet palate. Not tawnified, just a Port that is maturing retaining massive structure fruit and body.

Actually Graham 1970.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

WHW: I apologise for not typing earlier. Lots like an older Burgundy, semi opaque hint of brown, clear rim. decanted 09:30 this morning. Notes as of 18:30. In the sitting room. Beautiful chocolate smell, still a youthfulness to it, no tannins, not tired, at its peak. On nose lemon, red cherry, still touch of chocolate some ginger, maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon, On mouth honey and dark chocolate came together. Mid way chocolate become more pronounced, then acidy came in, sweet chilli pepper orange peel. On back palate not so great, astringent. Finish real nice, medium long length, starts not astringent, lovely. Lingered for a while with mint or maybe spearmint. Relatively dry port, very gentle, not a Ferreira, not a Fonseca fist to the face, beautifully balanced, tannins gone, balance remains. Really at the top now. medium weight.

Actually Sandeman 1977.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SCD: starting to show a bit of early maturation, ruby red, slightly glassy rim. Nose blackcurrant, red fruit, some plums. Maybe a touch baked. Palate light weight, black fruit, prunes, short finish, sharp shock of acidity on the finish, youngish, but showing early signs of maturing. Not spectacular. Good as a cellar defender.

Actually Sainsbury’s taste The Difference 1998.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

#4 was my first virtual tasting. The format worked much better than I expected. The hats were entertaining. Perhaps a dress code should be part of the theme next time?

I love the idea of an ‘event’ like this where we all taste the same wine if that can be arranged.

I was intrigued by those trying to discretely eat and taste. Perhaps next time bringing some food should be encouraged with the intent of using the food pairing as part of the clue? Another idea, moving away from our traditional ‘describe, guess, be embarrassed’ approach, could be prepare a series of clues (cryptic or descriptive in nature) in a series of rounds until the port is guessed? Somewhere between tasting and quiz?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

What was Alex’s?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

benread wrote: 06:13 Fri 01 May 2020 I love the idea of an ‘event’ like this where we all taste the same wine if that can be arranged.
I'm planning to do this for the May/June Sammamish Port Club meeting. I will likely spend most of the day on the Friday of the tasting doing decanting and portioning, and then hand delivering of the samples. (60ml glass bottles because the most suitable 75ml bottles that I could find were both more unwieldy and ridiculously more expensive.) This obviously doesn't work as well if your tasters aren't all in the same reasonably local area.

GST '11, '15, '16, '17
G '11, '16, '17
possibly one surprise; still TBD

Tasting will be blind and should be fun. Last year's iteration certainly was!
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

nac wrote: 06:29 Fri 01 May 2020 What was Alex’s?
I brought 1991 Morgan Brothers
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.