Hedonism/Symingtons Virtual tasting

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Hedonism/Symingtons Virtual tasting

Post by Doggett »

Hedonism Virtual port tasting (see website to purchase should you wish! Too rich for me, but some interesting wines to try)

Symington Family Ports - Online Tasting with Charles Symington
Monday 15th June 2020, 18.30 - 20.00
The Symingtons are a family with deep ties to winemaking in Portugal stretching back over 100 years. The current owners represent the 4th and 5th generation to be working the vines and making fine wines in Portugal's great Douro Valley. This fascinating tasting will bring together three of the world's greatest Port houses, all of which the Symington's are the proud custodians.

We are delighted to have Charles Symington present this event, taking a look at the family's extensive holdings in the Douro. Charles is the chief winemaker for all Symington properties and brings a lifetime of experience to this very special tasting.

Guests will enjoy five vintage Ports from half bottle - Dow's 2017, Warre's 2016, Graham's 2003, Dow's 2000 and Graham's Single Quinta Malvedos 1986.

This tasting will be hosted on a virtual platform with guests having the option to share their live video and audio with a view to interacting with each other. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, the platform allows this option. Tasting kits will be dispatched to arrive a few days before the tasting takes place.

Tasting kits are £250 each.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hedonism/Symingtons Virtual tasting

Post by jdaw1 »

They are five good Ports, but a you say the pricing isn’t lean.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I did take a look at the Hedonism website but, sadly, there does not seem to be an option to join the presentation without spending £250.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I think I’ve already mentioned this but I have really struggled to get my head around the Symington’s pricing of these off-line tastings.

The Cockburn one was €90 for bottles of the Cockburn’s White; 20 YO Tawny; and the QdCanais 14 which seemed excellent value: I think it would cost more than €90 to buy those bottles in the UK from a regular wine merchant.

Graham’s has a €95 tasting which includes the “Nº5” White; Six Grapes; and 20 YO tawny which seems to me a fair price if not excellent value (considering it includes shipping with the EU / UK + some sort of discount at the Lodge).

It then has a €250 “Bicentenary tasting” which contains: the LBV; Malvedos 2006 and the 1990 Colheita. The first two are worth, say, £15 and £30 (although they often be bought cheaper) and is a 1990 colheita ever going to exceed £100? It seems crazily expensive.

BTW: I’m interested they have stocks of the 1986 Malvedos left in halves: it’s one of my absolute favourite Ports.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

JacobH wrote: 12:22 Sat 13 Jun 2020 I think I’ve already mentioned this but I have really struggled to get my head around the Symington’s pricing of these off-line tastings.
To be fair to the Symingtons, a similar premium tasting at/with Hedonism would be similarly if not higher priced. Completely agree that there has been some wide ranging pricing for virtual tastings with wines/ports supplied, many of which seem of better value than this, but it does have some good and interesting port on offer.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

I agree regarding the 86 Malvedos-; we had it at a tasting the other year and if I recall rightly (I could be wrong) it was WOTN.