Utrecht w/b 21st April 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Utrecht w/b 21st April 2008

Post by KillerB »

OK, I'm in the Netherlands for a full working week, which means any day from Monday to Thursday. I know that Rubby is close by; that the Rootses are on holiday in Belgium; and that Stevie Cage is hiding; no idea were 10Anos is hiding.

Anybody up for a tasting?
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Where in the Netherregions will you be? Nearest airport and list of cheap airlines would greatly assist :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

I'm "hiding" in the Southern parts of the NL. Unfortunately, I have to pass. For me a full working week means Monday-Friday. The trip to Utrecht would simply take too long to leave any useful time before having to return home again.
Last edited by 10Anos on 09:30 Sat 05 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:Where in the Netherregions will you be? Nearest airport and list of cheap airlines would greatly assist :wink:
Utrecht, as it says in the title and I think that Amsterdam Schipol is the nearest Airport. Good deals can be had from East Midlands.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

You can fly from London (Stansted) to Eindhoven for next to nothing with Easyjet. Eindhoven - Utrecht is 1 hour by train.

KillerB: if you fancy a beer during one of your lonely nights in Utrecht, I can provide you with the e-mail addresses of Leontien and Jeroen (you met them at our wedding). I'm sure they'll love to take you for a beer and a game of darts or pool.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:You can fly from London (Stansted) to Eindhoven for next to nothing with Easyjet. Eindhoven - Utrecht is 1 hour by train.

KillerB: if you fancy a beer during one of your lonely nights in Utrecht, I can provide you with the e-mail addresses of Leontien and Jeroen (you met them at our wedding). I'm sure they'll love to take you for a beer and a game of darts or pool.
That would be nice. Being the sort of person that I am I can always remember women and never men, so Leontien I can remember straightaway. I'm sure that I would remember Jeroen if I saw him - was he the one that looked like you from behind?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: I'm sure that I would remember Jeroen if I saw him - was he the one that looked like you from behind?
Exactly what kind of wedding was this???? :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote: I'm sure that I would remember Jeroen if I saw him - was he the one that looked like you from behind?
Exactly what kind of wedding was this???? :shock:
A real Dutch Wedding.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Note to self: add "Attend a Real Dutch Wedding" to the list of 100 things to do before I die :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:Note to self: add "Attend a Real Dutch Wedding" to the list of 100 things to do before I die :lol:

Derek
Get to know Rubby and 10Anos better as your options are running out.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:Note to self: add "Attend a Real Dutch Wedding" to the list of 100 things to do before I die :lol:

Derek
Get to know Rubby and 10Anos better as your options are running out.
When are they getting married?
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

KillerB wrote:I'm sure that I would remember Jeroen if I saw him - was he the one that looked like you from behind?
I guess so. He was also the one taking all the pictures.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

You are in Belgium right now??? Where? Do tell! I have some wine you need to drink. I think. Probably. Reesling or something like that, and some Sugarrebe.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:You are in Belgium right now??? Where? Do tell! I have some wine you need to drink. I think. Probably. Reesling or something like that, and some Sugarrebe.
I'm in England, Ronnie is in Belgium but claiming Oman.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Ahhh, now I have you. Loud and Clear. The sandy oases of Belgium 88)
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Lots of men in dresses here, only problem is that I can't find the beer they're supposed to be brewing...
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Re: Utrecht w/b 21st April 2008

Post by Rubby »

KillerB wrote:OK, I'm in the Netherlands for a full working week, which means any day from Monday to Thursday. [...] Anybody up for a tasting?
Hi KillerB,
I'm up for a tasting, although I haven't got the slightest idea how these things are organised -yet-.
Have you ever been to Utrecht before?
If you're into beer, you might like a visit to Cafe Belgium, which has about 40 different beers from cask and about 200 beers on bottle. Mostly Belgian (hence the name), but also a lot of other nationalities. We could have a beer tasting!

Please let me know.
Frequently Ask Questions
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Rubby wrote:
KillerB wrote:OK, I'm in the Netherlands for a full working week, which means any day from Monday to Thursday. [...] Anybody up for a tasting?
Hi KillerB,
I'm up for a tasting, although I haven't got the slightest idea how these things are organised -yet-.
Have you ever been to Utrecht before?
If you're into beer, you might like a visit to Cafe Belgium, which has about 40 different beers from cask and about 200 beers on bottle. Mostly Belgian (hence the name), but also a lot of other nationalities. We could have a beer tasting!

Please let me know.
Hi Rubby - yes, been to Utrecht a couple of times; last time for the nuptials of Lord and Lady Roots. A beer tasting sounds like a fantastic idea but I must warn you that I like to taste all the beers in a place.

Getting together is normally quite strightforward - find a place to sit down and drink; bring bottles; drink. The main problem is the first step, the rest is easy.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

KillerB wrote:A beer tasting sounds like a fantastic idea but I must warn you that I like to taste all the beers in a place.
:lol: That might cause some problems. 200 different beers? Let's see how far we get.
KillerB wrote:Getting together is normally quite strightforward - find a place to sit down and drink; bring bottles; drink. The main problem is the first step, the rest is easy.
I'm afraid my place isn't an option. Maybe the Rootses have a tip on a restaurant?
Frequently Ask Questions
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I might be able to convince the hotel to allow us a table in a corner somewhere.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Ah, Kafé België! I love to go there as well.

Restaurants in Utrecht (or the Netherlands in general) are not really used to the concept of BYO, but I found that if you explain what your plans are, what the occasion is, and if you let the staff have a taste of the goodies, they are mostly willing to accomodate you. Do make the arrangements in advance though. Ordering an additional bottle of the wine list also helps to smoothen things.

Have fun!
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Hey, it's the 21st so I must be in Utrecht. Actually, I'm in de Meern and my hotel is in Amsterdam due to Utrecht being full. However, I have two bottles of wine (no Port but I can find shops). I have a special invitation on Wednesday but all other days are currently free.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

I'm back! Looking forward to Wednesday in Utrecht, and about to show KillerB the liquid delights of De Zotte... 88)
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

StevieCage wrote:I'm back! Looking forward to Wednesday in Utrecht, and about to show KillerB the liquid delights of De Zotte... 88)
Ended up in another bar altogether drinking lots of Amstel and showing Stevie how to win ugly at pool - he didn't learn.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Did Stevie attempt to play pool again? Pitiful...

Now, the more important question is: what port will you be drinking Wednesday?