Wednesday October 8, 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I will try and get the 1950 I've seen a couple of bottles in stock.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Simon Lisle wrote:I will try and get the 1950 I've seen a couple of bottles in stock.
Simon,

Let me know where they are by email or PM as I have some cash contributions that I could use to buy one.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

On the 1924 there was a wine merchant in the UK called Cockburns and something or other who did actualy bottle port.I've come across them at auction.
SLT
Cheap Ruby

Update on timing?

Post by SLT »

The lineup looks amazing (and getting even better) and the attendee list looks like the worst bunch of Port swirlin', pontificatin', Port addicts that I've ever seen... Wouldn't have it any other way :)

Any updates on what time this party is likely to get started?

Just trying to plan the day...I've got to swing by Buckingham Palace in the morning to give Prince Harry dating advice, give Prince Charles marriage advice, and to smoke a big fat cigar with the Queen...

:twisted:
SLT
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Update on timing?

Post by DRT »

SLT wrote:Any updates on what time this party is likely to get started?
The plan is to hold this as two separate flights. The younger vintages in the afternoon and the older vintages in the evening with a break in the middle to clear away the youngsters, decant and pour the geriatrics (and I'm not talking about Roy and AHB :wink:) and have dinner. It will also be a good idea to drink around 4 gallons of water and/or black coffee during this period in the hope of sobering up? :lol:
SLT wrote:Just trying to plan the day...I've got to swing by Buckingham Palace in the morning to give Prince Harry dating advice, give Prince Charles marriage advice, and to smoke a big fat cigar with the Queen... :twisted:
I should warn you that the above statements are tantamount to Treason, which still carries the death penalty. Anyway, the Queen only smokes big fat cigars in the evening :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:The plan is to hold this as two separate flights. The younger vintages in the afternoon and the older vintages in the evening
What happened to age before beauty? My instinct would have been to start with the older bottles. Why the reverse order?

Presumably the cutoff would be at the midway point: so split into 1896→1970 and 1975→2007 as in the current draft of the placemats.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:The plan is to hold this as two separate flights. The younger vintages in the afternoon and the older vintages in the evening
What happened to age before beauty? My instinct would have been to start with the older bottles. Why the reverse order?
That plan was the work of AHB but I think the rationale was that some attendees will not be able to be there in the afternoon and the older bottles are those that are likely to be of most interest. I think the idea is that if we have 25+ glasses of port to drink we will need to spit some of them and it makes most sense to spit the youngsters. At least it makes more sense to me.
jdaw1 wrote:Presumably the cutoff would be at the midway point: so split into 1896→1970 and 1975→2007 as in the current draft of the placemats.
That seems like a good place to split things.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Normally i would agree with jdaw. Do the older first. but since we haev a lot of bottles are taking a nice break between flights, and becuase of what DRT mentioned about not wanting to spit the older ones, I too would rather do younger first, take a break, then relax the night away with the old ones.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I forgat to mention that it is likely that at least some of the attendees will have lunch at the Crusting Pipe before flight 1 begins. The Decanting Committee (AHB, JDAW and DRT) will more than likely be there from mid-morning. We will have 14 attendees each with 12+ glasses to fill and set-out on placemats before the tasting starts. We will then have to clear up and repeat the exercise in the late afternoon. Others are welcome to join us for the preparation if prepared to help if required but should bear in mind that too many chiefs is not a good thing in these circumstances. :wink:

A volunteer for the role of Official Photographer would be appreciated.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

if I get my tourist arse over there in time, I will join you guys for lunch.

That is unless the Queen invites me over for tea....then i may be a little late. but I promise to invite her along too and I will make her bring some good Ports from her stash. Figure the Royal Guards can clear the place out and we can party all night long with her Majesty.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Printing tasks

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanting committee: somebody should be assigned to do printing tasks. These will include the placemats (definitely not duplex), and also the holding bays that help prevent confusion during decanting (preferably not duplex).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Printing tasks

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Decanting committee: somebody should be assigned to do printing tasks.
I hereby nominate AHB as Chief Printer.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Righties and Lefties

Who is left-handed?
• If a right-hander sits to the left of a left-hander, their elbows clash when taking notes.
• Placemats are slightly optimised for handedness.
So, for these two reasons, please could ADV AHB BMHR DRT MC-R RAH SLT SRC THRA AP CG NN SL all admit to their handedness.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

jdaw1 wrote:Righties and Lefties

Who is left-handed?
• If a right-hander sits to the left of a left-hander, their elbows clash when taking notes.
• Placemats are slightly optimised for handedness.
So, for these two reasons, please could ADV AHB BMHR DRT MC-R RAH SLT SRC THRA AP CG NN SL all admit to their handedness.
Right handed.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

right
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

right
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I do everything left handed except write.

My handwriting has always been appalling, so I blame my first teacher... :evil:

moT
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Right for me
SLT
Cheap Ruby

Right handers

Post by SLT »

Jody and I are both right handed.
SLT
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

RH

Personally, it matters not, young to old or old to young. However, regardless of a break/meals etc. my own belief it is best to drink the oldest wines when your palate is freshest. Regardless of that ... I will be happy to be enjoying the company and Ports so I don't care either way.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

get the part-timers to arrive for the first session

Post by jdaw1 »

Roy Hersh wrote:my own belief it is best to drink the oldest wines when your palate is freshest
Very much agreed. But if there are people who can’t be there in the afternoon, and they want to taste the older bottles, that imposes a constraint.

The ideal solution would be to get the part-timers to arrive for the first session. I don’t know whether that is possible.

Separately, you could have taken the opportunity to reveal your handedness. Please do.
SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by SEAN C. »

right handed!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

AHB has started a thread … on decanting times

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB has started a thread seeking agreement on decanting times: please post there comments on that subject.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Roy Hersh wrote:RH
Julian - I believe that this was Roy revealing his handedness.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Right- and left-handers

Post by jdaw1 »

Ahhh! Maybe he was. Nicely cryptically similar to those of his initials that he usually uses.

In which case we have:
Righties: JDAW, BMHR, AHB, ADV, THRA, SL, SLT+sip sharer, RAH, SRC;
Lefties: —;
Undeclared: DRT, MC-R, AP, CG, NN.