Summer offline in Holland - Wednesday 2nd July

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

AHB wrote:
Rubby wrote:Sorry for the late response (been away for a short holiday), but the honourable Uncle Tom has provided me with an Offley '77 as my contribution to all this happiness.
And is safely stored alongside the Gould Campbell that I will be bringing...
And a big 'thank you' for taking care of it for me.
Frequently Ask Questions
Joost
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Joost »

I just ordered some extra stemware. I planned to use the Spiegelau Vino Grande Tastingglass (4510031) for the tasting is that OK?

And for the decanters I am planning to buy some too, so we can use Stevies and mine! Is two identical sets a problem?

Santé,
Joost
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

They look like perfect glasses to me.

I don't think two identical sets of decanters will be a problem. If we number the decanters (and put the bottles in bags with the same number) all should be fine. Only thing is: if we want to be sure that we all taste blind, the port should be poured into a decanter by a non-participant. A beautiful task for Sandra! :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote: Only thing is: if we want to be sure that we all taste blind, the port should be poured into a decanter by a non-participant.
AHB devised a method for the 1980 Horizontal that was so complex and elaborate that it ensured that:
  1. No-one, including the person decanting, knew which wine was in which decanter, and;
  2. No-one will ever know whether or not what we now think was in each decanter is actually what was in each decanter :? :lol:
Derek

PS: AHB - just kidding. I'm sure your method was robust and risk free :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Joost

Post by Joost »

Ok, I'll ask Sandra to do it. But I am not sure she feels comfortable decanting these expensice bottles ;-).

But as a mathematician I must be able to find a way to keep as much as possible secret, while the decanting is done by some decanting experts. Without losing the connection between the empty bottle and the filled decanter... So we will find a way...

Santé,
Joost
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Joost,

The method that Derek refers to was not complicated. What we did was to create a set of "paired tags". Each tag consisted of two pieces of card stapled together. On the inside face of one of the two pieces was written a letter. The same letter was written inside the other of the pair of tags.

Each bottle was then wrapped in kitchen foil and the cork removed.

The bottle was then given to someone who had not seen the bottle being opened or the bottle before it was wrapped and that person decanted the port into a decanter of there choice. One of the pair of tags was out around the neck of the bottle and one around the neck of the decanter.

Ideally, you also write the time of decanting on the decanter label.

All the decanters are then lined up on the table in a random order and each decanter is then given a number. Notes are taken referring to the number of the port.

At the end of the evening, the cards of the bottles and decanters can be matched up to reveal which port was in which decanter.

It worked so well that only 3 people were able to identify the same port from a magnum served in two separate glasses!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Blind Tastings: A How-To Guide

Post by jdaw1 »

Joost wrote:But as a mathematician I must be able to find a way to keep as much as possible secret, while the decanting is done by some decanting experts.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=15451#15451]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Blind Tastings: A How-To Guide

How does one arrange a blind tasting such that nobody knows which is which? The following can be used, this being based on that used for the Wokingham 1980 Horizontal:
  • Decanters labels are prepared. There is a set of visible labels, 1 to n. There is also a set of hidden labels, also 1 to n, these numbers being written on one side of a business card, with a second business card stapled over it such that each hidden label’s number cannot be seen. These labels are kept in pairs: that is, visible 1 is kept with (or lightly tied to) hidden 1.
  • One person wraps each of the bottles in paper or tin foil, and then removes the corks.
  • If the corks are wanted, they can also be wrapped and taped to the bottles whence they came.
  • A second person, who did not observe the wrapping of the bottles, then decants each of the wrapped bottles into a decanter. As this is done, or immediately before, the decanter is labelled with one of the visible numbers, and the matching hidden number used to label the bottle.
  • Wine is drunk; enjoyed; mis-guessed.
  • After the mis-guessing, the hidden labels on the bottles are opened, and the bottles unwrapped, thus revealing which decanter holds that wine.
(NB: the numbers on the bottles must be hidden so that no information can be derived from the bottle shape.)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Joost wrote:But as a mathematician ...

Joost
Oh God, another one :roll:
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

How about decanting times? Although some ports may need more time than others, for the sake of having a honest comparative tasting, it would probably be good to give all ports the same treatment. Should we decant in the morning of July 2?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I could probably manage to decant early morning (before work) on July 2.

StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Decanting in the morning sounds good to me. Joost, will you be able to handle that, or should we bring our bottles ready decanted? I could drop off my bottles sometime this weekend or next week.

On a sad note: Marieke won't be joining us - she booked an impromptu vacation to Cork, Ireland: she'll be sipping Guinness instead of VP the 2nd. I will still bring both the Dow's and the Niepoort, though. Instead of Marieke, Petra (whom some of you have already met) might be joining us.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Oh - KillerB: that also means crashing at Marieke's won't be an option - but you are welcome to use the sleeping couch at my place in Amsterdam should L&J not be available...check the Roots for references...they'll explain... :? :shock: 88)
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A pity that Marieke won't be there. But looking forward to seeing Petra again.

I don't think L&J will be a problem.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Stevie,

You are welcome to drop off your bottles and maybe (some of) your decanters as well? I will handling the decanting in the morning for all bottle already in. Please contact by PM of phone...

Santé,
Joost
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Joost, will give you a call. Petra's attendance is confirmed!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

ARK - assuming that I get my act together and book one of the two hotels suggested by Stevie in Utrecht, you are welcome to take the spare bed in the room and then travel back to Schipol with me on the train.

Alex

KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:ARK - assuming that I get my act together and book one of the two hotels suggested by Stevie in Utrecht, you are welcome to take the spare bed in the room and then travel back to Schipol with me on the train.

Alex
Thanks Alex but my plane is in the late afternoon and I have a meeting with a certain Mr Wortel at lunch-time - which, I'm sure you will be welcome to attend. I will take up Leontien and Jeroen's kind offer of a bed where nobody can hear me snore.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

KillerB: Lunch the 3rd is most necessary. It probably needs a pint as well to get the day started.

Joost: We will make sure to bring our bottles a good deal in advance as well.

What time will most people be able to be at Joost's? If there is a lot of variation, I'm sure we can organise some sort of 'soft start', including snacks and start-up wines, and have dinner once everyone has arrived. Please PM Joost for directions to his house if needed.

Our holiday starts tomorrow, we will fly late in the evening. After tomorrow we have limited access to internet, but we'll try to check here from time to time.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

I'm back in Utrecht from work at around 7.
As this is my first offline, do I have to bring anything else along (except from a bottle and a happy mood)?
Frequently Ask Questions
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Rubby wrote:As this is my first offline, do I have to bring anything else along (except from a bottle and a happy mood)?
That'll do just fine. And if you can't resist... cheese is always appreciated.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Joost

Please could you send me a PM with your address so that I can make my way from the hotel to your house (and phone number).

I will also PM you my telephone number in case you need to get in touch with me.

Thanks,

Alex

RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

killerb we now have a good place to stay with enough room for you as well
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:killerb we now have a good place to stay with enough room for you as well
Excellent - thanks Ronald. Al B had offered a spare bed in his hotel room but preference is not to annoy him with my port-induced sinuses.
Joost

Post by Joost »

All expected VP's are in the house (Taylor, Fonseca, Graham, Warre, Niepoort and Dow) and will be decanted at 10 am wednesday morning. Preparetions are on schedule :)

AHB: Did you get my PM?

KillerB: Do you need some co-ordinates?

Santé,
Joost
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

OK, a little late on parade, but I'm up for this one (if there's space!)

Looking at the line-up, I could add a Croft, Delaforce or Ferriera to the proceedings.

- any preferences?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill