Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by jdaw1 » 23:14 Tue 28 Aug 2018

g-man wrote:
01:13 Tue 28 Aug 2018
The vintage stars themselves I find a little too cluttered for the overall appearance that I'm distracted with the fill and not the vintage date itself.
I suggest /ShapesInTitles false def as the perfect solution.

PhilW
Dow 1980

Post by PhilW » 09:11 Wed 29 Aug 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
23:14 Tue 28 Aug 2018
g-man wrote:
The vintage stars themselves I find a little too cluttered for the overall appearance that I'm distracted with the fill and not the vintage date itself.
I suggest /ShapesInTitles false def as the perfect solution.
Or just using a different shape from the options available; I think gman was saying he didn't like that particular fill, and I'm sure we all have our preferences and dislikes in that regard (and false is already the default for /ShapesInTitles in the current placemat.ps anyway, for anyone wondering).
g-man wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
21:46 Sat 21 Jul 2018
(The overtitles example looks bad to me, and not due to alignment. I would not put the pattern in the overtitle as it makes that word too difficult to read. Especially in the busy parts in 'pe' and 'ia'.)
I agree with this, the pattern in the over label is completely distracting when placed over the vintage stars.
In agreement with the above view, though I realise this is in disagreement with author preference.
Note that there is an equivalent /ShapesInOvertitles parameter, and indeed equivalents for /ShapesInAbovetitles, /ShapesInBelowtitles and /ShapesInPlacenames (noting the latter has missing { } brackets in the definition compared with the peer definitions). These currently all default to be the same as /ShapesInOvertitles but can be changed by the user, so those of us who prefer not to have the pattern in the overtitles can easily change this.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1900

Post by jdaw1 » 21:13 Wed 29 Aug 2018

PhilW wrote:
09:11 Wed 29 Aug 2018
Note that there is an equivalent /ShapesInOvertitles parameter, and indeed equivalents for /ShapesInAbovetitles, /ShapesInBelowtitles and /ShapesInPlacenames (noting the latter has missing { } brackets in the definition compared with the peer definitions).
Note ‘latter’ of two; ‘last’ of three or more.

Geek note: /ShapesInPlaceNames ShapesInTitles def works naturally if ShapesInTitles is a Boolean constant. But if ShapesInTitles is code referencing the likes of WithinTitles, that would fail if referenced in ShapesInPlaceNames. The absence of brackets causes it to fail earlier, and more traceably. So the absence of {} was deliberate.