Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:3. H = Hutcheson, which might be worse than Hooper.
I was pretty sure we had a list, somewhere, of abbreviations but each time I go looking for it I can't find it. Do you have the URL handy for us? We used QV for Quevedo, after much discussion about Vesuvio and Vargellas (which are apparently other abbreviations).
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

There isn't a separate listing of abbrevations that I'm aware of, but you can easily find them by using the alphabetical index of tasting notes in the TN forum.

Taylor (Fladgate) Quinta de Vargellas is TV to indicate that it is Taylor's Vargellas and not an independent Quinta.
Quinta do Vesuvio, on the other hand, is just plain V as there are no other producers that start with V.

Quevedo, being the only producer starting with Q ("Quinta d_ Something" doesn't count) should be just plain Q. First come, first served.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Glenn E. wrote:There isn't a separate listing of abbrevations that I'm aware of, but you can easily find them by using the alphabetical index of tasting notes in the TN forum.
You know, I've looked at that list multiple times wondering why it wasn't there, and only just realized i've been skimming right over it.
JoshDrinksPort
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:Taylor (Fladgate) Quinta de Vargellas is TV to indicate that it is Taylor's Vargellas and not an independent Quinta.
Such a system works until the Quinta changes hands; for instance, it would seem inappropriate to abbreviate Vargellas 1890 as TV 1890 :wink:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Such a system works until the Quinta changes hands; for instance, it would seem inappropriate to abbreviate Vargellas 1890 as TV 1890 :wink:
Ahh, back to building a singl definitive list of port names from which the abbreviations flow readily.

Plus, my computer is being repaired, so I don’t have the data to hand. (And the backup is somewhere on or approaching the Atlantic.)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Taylor (Fladgate) Quinta de Vargellas is TV to indicate that it is Taylor's Vargellas and not an independent Quinta.
Such a system works until the Quinta changes hands; for instance, it would seem inappropriate to abbreviate Vargellas 1890 as TV 1890 :wink:
Agreed. But to me it would also seem inappropriate for them to use the same abbreviation, because the cash influx from the purchase of a large Quinta like that can easily change the entire dynamic of the estate. Thus creating, essentially, an entirely new producer.

It's a difficult decision, in no small part because there are only so many reasonable combinations of suitable letters available. If a Quinta changes hands a few times over 100 years, does it really need to have a different abbreviation for each set of owners?

Hmm.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Glenn E. wrote:It's a difficult decision, in no small part because there are only so many reasonable combinations of suitable letters available. If a Quinta changes hands a few times over 100 years, does it really need to have a different abbreviation for each set of owners?
One might also say that someone who truly appreciated the Port would know in which years the quinta or house had each owner, and thus the combination of abbreviation and year would say everything necessary. (snark snark)
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The objectives:
  • Pedantic uniqueness;
  • Brevity;
  • Clarity, at least having received a prompt.
I think the choices made come close to the best possible realisation of those objectives.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

∃ new code, a major new version. Changes:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In Paris last weekend DRT and I discussed two new ideas.
  • The first was a single-shipper single-year bottler comparison, now being discussed in Comparing the bottlers.
  • The second was the problem of ink-jet printers, the ink smudging if wetted even slightly. Derek suggested printing to the ‘underside of’ acetate, therefore in reverse. Controls (especially MirrorPagesNonDecanterLabelGlasses) have been added to the software, producing output as in this example. Comment welcomed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

For some time I have known that the code needed three non-trivial additions. The third, SideBySideGlassesTastingNotes, has just been completed (the previous two being VerticalMiddling! and FlightSeparations).

For a small tasting, say two people and three bottles, it is natural to have everything on one sheet: For right handers the glasses should be to the left of the tasting notes; for left handers to the right.

Mr Right-Handed

Miss Left-Handed
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Manual wrote:â—Š Tastings arranged on ThePortForum are for a maximum of fourteen people, in order to give a 5cl portion to each person (75cl bottle, less the angels’ share and less a little loss during decanting leaves only an edge more than 14×5cl = 70cl). At a tasting attended by eight people, decanters can circulate and people help themselves. But when there are fourteen people and so only 5cl each, portions need to be pre-poured. Typically this necessitates many trays holding fourteen glasses, and, to avoid confusion, these trays should be labelled: a sheet of paper on each tray.
Rephrased for the hard of understanding: before pre-pouring glasses, put one of these sheets on a tray, then fourteen glasses on that. Then pour. Should reduce the what-is-on-this-tray type of confusion.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Manual wrote:Why both decanter labels and bottle labels? Decanter labels are ‘front of house’, intended to match very closely the design on the glasses sheets, and to be pasted to business cards and hung around decanters. Because of the desired close match between glasses sheets and decanter labels, the decanter labels are generated as a special type of glasses sheet, omitting the inappropriate elements.

So go back in time, to the start of decanting. Some bottles will be clearly labelled. Others might have little more than a capsule, so after opening, could be entirely unlabelled. To prevent confusion there should be, printed onto sheets of sticky labels, a means of avoiding the potential confusion. These are the bottle labels, and their specification largely requires describing the sheet of labels.

Bottle labels appear if BottleLabelsNumCopies exceeds zero, and multiple copies are permitted. The following are then defined assuming that the page is portrait.
  • BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitNumRows is the number of rows.
  • BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitNumCols is the number of columns.
  • BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapBetweenRows is the gap between the rows of labels. ! Likewise, BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapBetweenCols is the gap between the columns of labels. !
  • BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapL is the margin on the left of the page, that is, the gap between the edge of the page and the left edge of the leftmost column of labels. Mutatis mutandis, BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapR, BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapT, and BottleLabelsWithPagePortraitGapB.
  • BottleLabelsPaperType is the paper type of the sticky labels, accepting values such as /A4 or /USL, and defaulting to TastingNotesPaperType.
The default parameters were fitted to Ryman product 0220013460 (or equivalently 0220023460), being 8 labels per A4 sheet. Therefore those constrained to /USL (8½″×11″) will need to alter the bottle-label specification.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Manual wrote: Points: The Vote Recorder

â—Š At the end of a tasting there is typically a vote for the Wine Of The Night (WOTN), and for large tastings there might also be a vote after each flight or page. The vote is not usually secret, people being asked to declare 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places (scoring 3, 2, 1). To assist the ‘returning officer’ there are VoteRecorderNumCopies copies of a single sheet of paper on which votes can be recorded. It is the points that should be recorded, rather than the ranks, as doing so simplifies the addition of the totals. (There is also benefit in there being agreement as to what is recorded: if you record, but I retain the vote-recorder sheet and enter it into a description of the tasting, it is useful that ‟3” be unambiguously first place three points.)
Examples of this new page can be found on the 10th page of the PDF example, and also on the last sheet of the paperwork for the forthcoming 1982 horizontal.

Comment and feedback encouraged.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent. Only a genius would have thought of this.

Thank you.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Excellent. Only a genius would have thought of this.

Thank you.
It was derived from a suggestion of DRT. Send some gratitude to him.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
The Manual wrote:The vote is not usually secret, people being asked to declare 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places (scoring 3, 2, 1).
Comment and feedback encouraged.
Insufficient consensus was built as to what would be the best voting system. Considering this only became an issue at 10pm following a "8-bottles-for-6-people" tasting, consensus was not achieved. I suggest the Approval System.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Insufficient consensus was built as to what would be the best voting system. Considering this only became an issue at 10pm following a "8-bottles-for-6-people" tasting, consensus was not achieved. I suggest the Approval System.
Even with that, ahem, voting system, I think the vote-recording sheet produced by the software would work: ✠“ each approved port.

Voting system: are you voting for ‟Port Most Widely Deemed Drinkable” (for which Approval is excellent), or for ‟Wine Of The Night” (for which Approval is awful)? See www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys/conundrum.html.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Voting system: are you voting for ‟Port Most Widely Deemed Drinkable” (for which Approval is excellent), or for ‟Wine Of The Night” (for which Approval is awful)? See www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys/conundrum.html.
A good point. I note, however, that the 3-2-1 points system produces a similar result: the Niepoort 1982 was WOTN at the 1982 tasting due a consistent performance as the 2nd choice. I think (though AHB has the ballot sheet), AV would have done likewise. STV produced a hung result. Which is preferable for determining the WOTN?

On an unrelated point, the translation of the placemat software into Dutch has made the ij ligature issue live...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:On an unrelated point, the translation of the placemat software into Dutch has made the ij ligature issue live...
Not really live in this context. If a context strongly implies that only the Dutch language is being used so there isn’t a ‟ÿ” then a connected ‟ij” can be OK. But a port tasting can contain ports with names of non-Dutch origin (J. H. Andresen comes to mind), and non-Dutch drinkers. So I’d much prefer the simple ‟ij” non-ligature.

Is that a controversial view on :tpf:?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:...I’d much prefer the simple ‟ij” non-ligature.

Is that a controversial view on :tpf:?
Zzzzz...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Changes to placemat software:
  • Added WaterCountsOverrideShowEverySheet (a parameter simplification for DRT).
  • Changed default value of SameSizeTitlesIfAllOf (you probably don’t care).
  • Fixed bug on pre-pour pages:
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=37212#p37212]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Not using Adobe Distiller revealed a very small bug in code, and the following is a note to self.

Code: Select all

false false PaperType Orientation SetPaperSize  % Perhaps page dimensions accessed by CrossHatchingTitles or CrossHatchingSubtitles
    				TitleSubtitleForms SheetNum get WithinPage get  VariesByNameTitlesSubtitlesOrnamentsDecanterLabels {dup /PaintProc get exec} {execform} ifelse
    				false false PrePourPaperType PrePourOrientation SetPaperSize
    [/size]
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
  • Added WaterCountsOverrideShowEverySheet (a parameter simplification for DRT).
Thank you. I like simple things.
jdaw1 wrote:
  • Changed default value of SameSizeTitlesIfAllOf (you probably don’t care).
I do care. Deeply. Thank you.
jdaw1 wrote:
  • Fixed bug on pre-pour pages:
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=37212#p37212]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Not using Adobe Distiller revealed a very small bug in code, and the following is a note to self.

Code: Select all

false false PaperType Orientation SetPaperSize  % Perhaps page dimensions accessed by CrossHatchingTitles or CrossHatchingSubtitles
    				TitleSubtitleForms SheetNum get WithinPage get  VariesByNameTitlesSubtitlesOrnamentsDecanterLabels {dup /PaintProc get exec} {execform} ifelse
    				false false PrePourPaperType PrePourOrientation SetPaperSize
    [/size]
[/list][/list]
This doesn't sound like something I should either care about or understand. But thank you anyway.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn