Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Flash has drawn my attention to TheVintagePortSite.com/view.php?id=13820, saying “seems like the placemat is famous”.
Initially I thought that the Symingtons were using the software, but this was actually made by our very own SushiNorth for the Dow vertical in New York on Saturday 19th March 2011.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Ah. But where did the photo get picked up, as there is none on the thread?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Not my photo, as my placemats at that tasting had the "old" flight on the left. Perhaps Sushi's or G-man's?
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Tasting notes on the left suggests a left-hander, but none of the placemat pages are left-handed.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:Tasting notes on the left suggests a left-hander, but none of the placemat pages are left-handed.
We're typically pretty crowded at the ACPT tastings, so the notes on the left could belong to the taster on the left. Inconclusive, I think.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:Flash has drawn my attention to TheVintagePortSite.com/view.php?id=13820, saying “seems like the placemat is famous”.
Initially I thought that the Symingtons were using the software, but this was actually made by our very own SushiNorth for the Dow vertical in New York on Saturday 19th March 2011.
Well that's pretty cool -- but I merely used JDaw's software for the mats. The origin of the picture is far more interesting -- I have been unable to find it amongst my set, which means it likely came from a different attendee.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It seems that I am no longer able to make use of this section of code:

Code: Select all

/PackingDirectionVertical /TopToBottom def  % /TopToBottom /BottomToTop
/PackingDirectionHorizontal /LeftToRight def  % /LeftToRight /RightToLeft
/PackingNestingColumnMajor false def
No matter how I alter the parameters, the result is that the first glass in the list is top left, the last glass is bottom right, and rows are filled before columns.

Previous discussion in this thread indicated that simply setting /PackingNestingColumnMajor true def would reverse the order of the rows. That is to say, the first glass would be bottom left, the last glass would be top right, and rows would be filled before columns. Based on the naming convention I suspect that isn't true, but regardless making that change seems to have no effect.

I have tried both /PackingNestingColumnMajor true def and /PackingDirectionVertical /BottomToTop def but end up with the same output in either case. I have tried it both using the placemats that I'm trying to create, and finally just to be sure I hadn't messed something up elsewhere I have tried it using the baseline software downloaded fresh from www.jdawiseman.com/placemat.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Since these were written, much of the relevant code has changed. An error is entirely possible. Please email me the code.
Glenn E. wrote:Previous discussion in this thread indicated that simply setting /PackingNestingColumnMajor true def would reverse the order of the rows.
That parameter should switch the ordering of the loops, i.e. whether “rows would be filled before columns” or the reverse.
Glenn E. wrote:I have tried both /PackingNestingColumnMajor true def and /PackingDirectionVertical /BottomToTop def but end up with the same output in either case.
Unless you are using positions supplied as an array, or one of the other PermittedPackingStyles in which this request would make no sense, it is my bug. Please email your code.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My bug: sorry.

These option still exist, and still work, but as a flag within PermittedPackingStyles. The bug was forgetting to delete the three lines in which the no-longer-used parameters were set. So you might want something like

/PermittedPackingStyles [
	[ /RectangularDislocation /PackingNestingColumnMajor true /PackingDirectionTopToBottom false ]
] def
Just uploaded, a new version of the code without the three redundant lines.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Previous discussion in this thread indicated that simply setting /PackingNestingColumnMajor true def would reverse the order of the rows.
That parameter should switch the ordering of the loops, i.e. whether “rows would be filled before columns” or the reverse.
This is what I expected based on the name. The earlier discussion, then, was in error. This is the preferred outcome: code > discussion.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:My bug: sorry.

These option still exist, and still work, but as a flag within PermittedPackingStyles. The bug was forgetting to delete the three lines in which the no-longer-used parameters were set. So you might want something like

[ /RectangularDislocation /PackingNestingColumnMajor true /PackingDirectionTopToBottom false ]
] def
Just uploaded, a new version of the code without the three redundant lines.
Excellent, thank you. I will go attempt the following:

[ /Diamonds /PackingNestingColumnMajor false /PackingDirectionTopToBottom false ]
] def
My desire is RowMajor, BottomToTop.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I believe that I have lately used the code you intend to use, and it has worked just dandy.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I will go attempt the following:

[ /Diamonds /PackingNestingColumnMajor false /PackingDirectionTopToBottom false ]
] def
My desire is RowMajor, BottomToTop.
Then the “/PackingNestingColumnMajor false” is redundant, IIRC.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Success; thank you for the help.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

And thank you for the bug report.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Do you go up or down?

The placemats produced for this small meeting occasioned a slight discolouration of the man who made the software. He expressed his disdain for a placemat which goes upwards from the bottom left on the glasses page, and yet downwards from the top on the tasting note page. He also communicated a concern that users would become confused.

Does anybody else have an opinion?
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury, responding by PM to an observation of jdaw1, wrote:I like to go up and across from the left. You prefer to do the opposite. Thus, for me, the first and youngest wine is at the bottom of the glasses page and the top of the TN page.
jdaw1, replying by PM, wrote:Going down one page whilst up the other seems, to my simple mind, more confusing than going through both in the same direction.
djewesbury, replying by PM, wrote:I can understand your logic. All I can say is that I want to backwards in my glasses and downwards in my TNs. This is a valuable experiment in literacy, facilitated by Port!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I most certainly prefer to go downwards in my notes, it assists not smudging notes made previously.

However, I have observed that on many occasions I will pick glasses out based on something other than the order in which they are placed on the sheet - apparent evolutionary age, for example.

But when I follow the order in which the glasses are placed, I prefer to work from the top left to top right and then down the page. I find this tends to minimise my chances of spilling, knocking over or trying to return glasses to spaces which are occupied. I am at my most sober when trying to get glasses from furthest away and at my least sober when dealing with the glasses that are closest to me.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

If others contribute their opinions and the general consensus is that I am plain bonkers, then I am happy to redo my placemat. Flash, what do you think?
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

I tend to grab the nearest glass first! I agree with Alex that note-taking starting at the top and working down is preferable, so I have a mild preference for the DJ approach. I can work with any layout, but will start with the tasting notes and find the glass rather than the other way round.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I think the TNs would start at the top no matter what. JDAW's initial complaint was that, this being invariable, the glasses pages should follow the same order. I would perhaps agree that in a large tasting it might be better to work forwards. But I disagree that anyone could become confused. I think we are all sufficiently adept at recognising names and reading across from a page laid out in a diagrammatic way to one that is organised in a tabular format.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As I am not Chinese I prefer to work my way through from top left to bottom right.

The order in which TNs appear on a page rarely affects my general well being.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

In common layouts I would start top left, then either working across the rows (mostly) or down the columns as appropriate. On some non-standard layouts there could be variation, for example an arch of glasses on A3 using placemat as centre, but these would be the special cases.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:an arch of glasses on A3
FYI, an example (and more):