Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:Does nobody use Distiller?
No, based on cost >£15/month, and all I would use it for is doc/ps to pdf. I use a freeware pdf printer driver for all document-as-pdf output needs; the only time I need to convert ps-to-pdf is for TPF placemats.
I believe the server-based version of distiller has now also been retired, though the functionality is part of a new (I assume) server-based package for enterprise called Livecycle, though I don't know what it costs.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

From the first page of the thread entitled A Placemat Consistency Problem.
flash_uk wrote:Is there a way to have abovetitles text wrap upwards, so it would look like:

Gould
Campbell

Edit: hmmm...can't get it to look the way I intended. Imagine the "Gould" is a little indented and centred above the Campbell.
djewesbury wrote:But it would actually be a monumentally complicated alteration from what I understand and it would reduce the usability of a piece of software that is already minimally user friendly. And the effort required would not be commensurate with the use expected.
jdaw1 wrote:Not going to happen, for the reasons given. (It can be done, by inserting lots of complicated code into the parameter, but don’t do that.)
Can it? I thought I’d test.

Code: Select all

/Circlearrays [
	[ [{(Campbell) StringWidthRecursive (Gould) StringWidthRecursive sub 2 div CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto} (Gould) {(Gould) StringWidthRecursive (Campbell) StringWidthRecursive add -2 div CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Campbell) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]   (1970) ]
	[ [{0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto} (Quarles) {(Quarles) StringWidthRecursive (Harris) StringWidthRecursive add -2 div CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Harris) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]   (1970) ]
	[ [{(Holdsworth) StringWidthRecursive (Tuke) StringWidthRecursive sub 2 div CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto} (Tuke) {(Tuke) StringWidthRecursive (Holdsworth) StringWidthRecursive add -2 div CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Holdsworth) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]   (1970) ]
	[ [{0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto} (Ramos) {(Ramos) StringWidthRecursive (Pinto) StringWidthRecursive add -2 div CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Pinto) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]   (1970) ]
	[ [{[(W) {-0.06 Kern} (oodhouse)] StringWidthRecursive (Smith) StringWidthRecursive sub 2 div CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto} (Smith) {(Smith) StringWidthRecursive [(W) {-0.06 Kern} (oodhouse)] StringWidthRecursive add -2 div CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} [(W) {-0.06 Kern} (oodhouse)] {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]   (1970) ]
] def

/TitlesTastingNotes [
	[(Gould) {(Gould) StringWidthRecursive neg CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Campbell) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]
	[(Quarles) {(Quarles) StringWidthRecursive neg CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Harris) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]
	[(Tuke) {(Tuke) StringWidthRecursive neg CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Holdsworth) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]
	[(Ramos) {(Ramos) StringWidthRecursive neg CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} (Pinto) {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]
	[(Smith) {(Smith) StringWidthRecursive neg CurrentFontSize -0.875 mul rmoveto} [(W) {-0.06 Kern} (oodhouse)] {0 CurrentFontSize 0.4375 mul rmoveto}]
] def

/TitlesVoteRecorder TitlesTastingNotes def

/Titles [ Circlearrays {0 get} forall ] def
/Belowtitles [ Circlearrays length {()} repeat ] def

/Names [
	(Test)
] def

/InlineTitles false def
Resulting in a PDF, and images follow.
Image Image Image Image

Summary: the Titles and Circlearrays can be made to work, albeit nastily.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Yuck.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Yuck for the circlearrays.
OK for the titles, but unlikely to be used often, as the shipper abbreviations are more often used in titles, and therefore wrapping is not required.
I guess it is too difficult for abovetitles?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Does nobody use Distiller?
No, based on cost >£15/month, and all I would use it for is doc/ps to pdf. I use a freeware pdf printer driver for all document-as-pdf output needs; the only time I need to convert ps-to-pdf is for TPF placemats.
I believe the server-based version of distiller has now also been retired, though the functionality is part of a new (I assume) server-based package for enterprise called Livecycle, though I don't know what it costs.
Slightly tangentially (appropriate, I think, for a thread that is underpinned by the geometry of the circle), Adobe's ludicrous new pricing strategy means that we will stop using their products for our students. There are no bulk licences for the Cloud versions of Creative Suite, at least not in the numbers we'd need, and the cost of multiple individual licences is just astronomical. "How to make sure nobody uses your product: Part 1…"
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The placemat code allows the adding of an annotation to glasses (GlassesAnnotations). After a blind tasting, should the placemat then be ‘changed’ to annotate what was what?

The ‘changed’ is in single quotation marks because such annotations would affect the digital file, but have no affect on a printout. So the changed file would print as did the pre-change file.

As an example, compare, for the tasting on 26th March 2015, the original placemat with an annotated placemat. Is it worth the effort?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Sorry, where is the annotation?
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:Sorry, where is the annotation?
The following are as seen in Preview 8.0 (859.7) on Yosemite 10.10.2.

Clicking on the black square reveals previously secret information.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Not worth the effort.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:The placemat code allows the adding of an annotation to glasses (GlassesAnnotations). After a blind tasting, should the placemat then be ‘changed’ to annotate what was what?
No. Final version of placemats is final version, including any errors. Scoresheet (including answers) is Scoresheet. Post-event update of placemats bad.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:The placemat code allows the adding of an annotation to glasses (GlassesAnnotations). After a blind tasting, should the placemat then be ‘changed’ to annotate what was what?
No. Final version of placemats is final version, including any errors. Scoresheet (including answers) is Scoresheet. Post-event update of placemats bad.
More dogmatic than me.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=75077#p75077]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=75076#p75076]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:DB78 — though on the placemats, erroneously, as “D78” …

The placemat error has resulted in a new feature to the code, GlassesAnnotations.
I agree that the version as-printed is inviolable. Must that be true of the digital version? That is, can digital-only non-printable annotations be added after the event? Phil is adamantly against. I am more relaxed. Others?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Just created: the review thread for the Magnus tasting this evening. Normally what I would do is add a link to this to the ExternalLinks parameter. But
PhilW: you said “Final version of placemats is final version”. Does that mean that I now can’t add the link to ExternalLinks? Does that mean that if I’d done it before printing, it would have been OK, even thought it would not even slightly have affected the printing?

Such a position has a dogmatic logical consistency to it — but I want to check that is your position.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

That is indeed my (dogmatic) position. With regard to placemat links, I put them in before the tasting; for the link to placemats themselves the intention is that I name the link YYMMDD_name_placemats.pdf and then leading up to the tasting I append version numbers, saving the last one (or each in turn) with the right name with no version appended. A similar practise to the way I manage software releases, with multiple candidates, but only one final release name.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I seem to have lost track of the alternate online PS to PDF converter that we (or at least I) have been using since ps2pdf.com starting having problems. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I found online2pdf.com and believe that is the one that I used in January. Unfortunately, it is not able to process my most recent placemats either. (I also tried ps2pdf.com and received the 500 Internal Server Error that we've been seeing for some time now.)

My guess is that the placemats are growing too large. Online2pdf.com will still convert the placemats that I created in January, but those placemats were for 18 glasses on USL2 with simple Circlearrays, minimal Titles (the numbers 1-18), and no Belowtitles. The current placemats are for 20 glasses and have relatively lengthy Circlearrays, still fairly minimal Titles (years), and producers as Belowtitles.

I even went so far as to make a copy of the January placemats and simply replace Circlearrays, Titles, and Belowtitles with the new information. Online2pdf.com failed to convert it.

I've since tried trimming that test file down to 16 glasses (failed) and 12 glasses (failed). The original 18-glass January placemat still converts.

I am at a loss.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Email it to me?

Email it to somebody with a, ahem, Mac, who could then open it in Preview and save as PDF?

Most, perhaps all, online PS→PDF converters use Ghostscript. Install Ghostscript?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A few minutes ago online2pdf.com/convert-ps-to-pdf was tested to reproduce the placemats used on 2nd March. It worked well, quickly producing a 114-page PDF (in which Harrington and LucidaSans were replaced with Courier). So WFM.
Glenn E. wrote:My guess is that the placemats are growing too large.
Unlikely to be the problem. Consider …EBKAC.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I sent the .ps file to a friend who has GhostScript installed locally, and he was able to generate the .pdf for me. It took 17 minutes, which explains why an online service would abort. The online service probably thinks that the conversion is caught in an infinite loop or something.

I'll email you the .ps so that you can take a look if you so choose. I'll also be downloading and installing GhostScript myself, which I did briefly this weekend but couldn't quickly figure out how to use it so resorted to asking a friend for help.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I sent the .ps file to a friend who has GhostScript installed locally, and he was able to generate the .pdf for me. It took 17 minutes, which explains why an online service would abort. The online service probably thinks that the conversion is caught in an infinite loop or something.
That might be the answer. Using Distiller 8 the two .ps files you sent me took 12 seconds and 8 seconds.

Perhaps the recent change of default value of InlineTitles is the problem. That’s a shame. Try /InlineTitles false def.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I tried ghostscript under windows a few years ago, mostly just because I needed to view some .ps files rather than convert them, but found it fairly unfriendly, so decided to try again and see where things are at now.

- Ghostscript installed no problem
- To use ps2pdf, you have to run their batch file (from a Windows Command Prompt) referencing the full path, i.e. in my case "C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.16\lib\ps2pdf" with input and output files as parameters.
- This also requires the gs\gs9.16\bin directory to be added to your path, manually (not done by installer), to access the underlying gswin64.exe core binary executable called by the scripts
- This worked for processing a relatively simple tasting notes .ps (the Martinez vertical) but failed catastrophically with no error message on a more complex one (the Warre/Fonseca tasting)

Overall, non-trivial for users (since have to set paths manually, and run long directory-linked paths on the command line; both of these could be addressed simply with another script); clearly works to some extent; whether the failure to parse more complex postscript could be addressed by some control parameters modifications or other means is TBD.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I sent the .ps file to a friend who has GhostScript installed locally, and he was able to generate the .pdf for me. It took 17 minutes, which explains why an online service would abort. The online service probably thinks that the conversion is caught in an infinite loop or something.
That might be the answer. Using Distiller 8 the two .ps files you sent me took 12 seconds and 8 seconds.
Thank you Glenn: you have found the problem. Changing one line to /InlineTitles false def makes it work in both PS2PDF.com and online2pdf.com.

Default parameters will be reverted this evening, and cautionary words added to the manual.

Edit: I’ve had other troubles with /Helvetica-Bold. Maybe the font is somehow misformed? Perhaps the default value of TitlesFont should be one of the CMU fonts. Suggestions? Ideally widely available and included with Ghostscript as standard, bold or demi-bold, not italic, not oblique, condensed or demi-condensed, lining figures, and with all of CkDFGKNOSTVW0123456789 resting on the baseline and having the same height.

Edit edit: /TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT worked on online2pdf.com but not on PS2PDF.com. Sigh. Two different problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Default parameters will be reverted this evening, and cautionary words added to the manual.
This evening has been postponed. Investigations underway. But, pro tem, /InlineTitles false def seems to work.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It does indeed. My friend performed the test on his system and the conversion time dropped from 1017 seconds to 1.053 seconds. ~1000x improvement.

I plan to start using GhostScript locally, but agree that InlineTitles should be false by default.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Also, my friend said he was able to pinpoint the slowness to the generation of the circle arrays. He said that once the circles were done that everything else completed very quickly. I think he was using a built in GhostScript previewer of some sort.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Default parameters will be reverted this evening, and cautionary words added to the manual.
Done.