Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by DRT »

I like the document outline but have just noticed the external links section, which is a splendid addition.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hitherto, when placemats have been printed, they have been deemed finished the online edition being frozen at the printed version.

But with the new ExternalLinks feature, there are placemat parameters that don’t affect what prints. There would be advantages in adding to the placemats a link to the review thread, as that thread has, front and prominent, all the links one could want.

Do users object to post-printing changes to the uploaded placemats, provided that the new version would print the same as the printed version?

Please vote one of:
  • ‘Purist’ (the printed version is the final version);
  • ‘Near-Purist’ (later uploads must be of something that would print the same to paper);
  • Other (detail).
My preference is Near-Purist, but I might be persuaded by interesting argument.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I vote Near-Purist, but do wonder what sort of geek would find it necessary to print a set of placemats for a tasting that had already happened.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:but do wonder what sort of geek would find it necessary to print a set of placemats for a tasting that had already happened.
That’s not quite the point, I think. The online placemats are part of the record of the tasting. Records are important. (Some might recall that DRT and I are meant to be writing a book based on various records relating to port.)

To what extent can we retrospectively change this ‘record’? My view is slightly, not so much as to change the print, and only very soon after the tasting. It isn’t quite purist, but nearly so.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:but do wonder what sort of geek would find it necessary to print a set of placemats for a tasting that had already happened.
That’s not quite the point, I think. The online placemats are part of the record of the tasting. Records are important. (Some might recall that DRT and I are meant to be writing a book based on various records relating to port.)

To what extent can we retrospectively change this ‘record’? My view is slightly, not so much as to change the print, and only very soon after the tasting. It isn’t quite purist, but nearly so.
I knew that the answer was "us" :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I'd vote purist, warts and all as necessary; it's the record of the event, with any notes or additional links provided in the review thread(s), rather than the corrected/updated event arrangements. Once you start adding extra helpful links, you risk incremental feature creep (links to tasting notes, WOTN scores etc); Perhaps that would only be appropriate for circumstances where you require the document to be the master record for the complete event, e.g. non-TPF use where these might be no associated forum etc?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Purist+Other:

Purist: If the placemat is a historical document used to understand what happened at a tasting, it is important that it remains unaltered after the event. While one might only be adding links to the review, removing some embarrassing detail on the tasting sheet which caused great discussion would be too tempting. Similarly, if the website upgraded or moved, and the links changed, would we need to keep the placemat updated in perpetuity?

Other: If the placemat is not a historical document, but simply a tool we use to execute the tastings planned and recorded here on the site, then its accuracy and valuable content -- beyond the event -- is irrelevant. Are our placemats being stored and backed up? Are they ever revisited? I'd prefer that, so long as the website exists, the website be the authoritative source on what transpired at the tasting. And should the website cease to exist, the links on placemats would be useless.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Don't think I understand the debate here, but:

What if a port emergency is declared at the end of the night and another bottle is added? Or there's a guest who turns up at the last minute with an extra bottle? The placemats as printed are no longer a historical record of events. Including the extra information somewhere at the back (but so that the actual placemats remain" as printed" seems neat.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:Are our placemats being stored and backed up?
The British Library archives copies of jdawiseman.com. These copies are derived by following the links from the home page, and the manual links to some but not all placemats. I could add a page listing all the placemats, so that all are archived.

PhilW and SushiNorth make a powerful argument (‟would be too tempting”; ‟incremental feature creep”; etc). Are these arguments lessened by self-restraint on the part of jdaw1? Surely a bit. But are they lessened enough?

So far the score is as follows.
• Purist: 2 (SushiNorth, PhilW);
• Near-Purist: 3 (jdaw1, DRT, RAYC).
My vote was a close call, and RAYC denies understanding, so that is statistically indistinguishable from a draw.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:I could add a page listing all the placemats, so that all are archived.
Done. Henceforth the British Library will find all these.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I could add a page listing all the placemats, so that all are archived.
Done. Henceforth the British Library will find all these.
Is this list intended to include all TPF Tastings, and if so would it be useful to DL the ones that we've done in NYC for inclusion in that archive?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:Is this list intended to include all TPF Tastings, and if so would it be useful to DL the ones that we've done in NYC for inclusion in that archive?
If not on a ‘British’ website that the BL archives, it would retain the links but not archive the content.

I intended it to be for placemats made by me and held at www.jdawiseman.com. Maybe that could be expanded.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

During the tasting on Tue 11 Oct 2011, five changes to the software were requested.
  • At DRT’s request, HeaderRightText no longer depends on any other parameters, making it easier to move it to the top.
  • Based on a suggestion of PhilW, BackgroundTextsGlassesPaintCode changed from 25% black to 6¼% black.  
  • When RAYC prints, he prints the placenames to card. This is stiff enough to require one fold rather than three, so PlaceNamesFirstAndThirdFoldsFromEdge should be set to zero. I promised to add a feature that checked this parameter’s equality to zero, and if so, not to print the lines and instructions. Except that this was already being checked in just this manner. So, no change to software required. But note to self: if RAYC is to print then set /PlaceNamesFirstAndThirdFoldsFromEdge 0 def.
  • I noticed that the ‘which shipper’ sheet still had the instruction ‟Record points, not rank.” These words have been moved to the parameter VoteRecorderInstruction.
  • RAYC requested a sheet on which corks and cork fragments could be put, both for photography and for observation by others. This has not yet been done, whilst I ponder the range of variations that might be wanted.
And a bonus:
  • All placemats now include a link to this thread.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:[*]Based on a suggestion of PhilW, BackgroundTextsGlassesPaintCode changed from 25% black to 6¼% black.
I would also suggest reducing their overall (font) size to 80% of current, and either increasing the line width by 40% or possible solid filling the characters (at 6.25 or 5%)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:increasing the line width by 40%
Increased by a factor of 1.5.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
  • RAYC requested a sheet on which corks and cork fragments could be put, both for photography and for observation by others. This has not yet been done, whilst I ponder the range of variations that might be wanted.
I think that parameters needed are as follows:
  • /CorkDisplay true def, saying whether or not to bother.
  • /GlassesClusteredOnCorkDisplay GlassesClusteredOnDecantingNotes def, saying which glasses go there;
  • CorkDisplayMinWidth and CorkDisplayMinHeight, being minimum sizes.
Then the code works out how many can go on each sheet. Each is a rectangle, surrounded by the Circlearrays text, very small, and containing, larger but not very large, the various title-like texts. Sheets would be discretely titled ‟The Corks”.

Does that work?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
I think that parameters needed are as follows:
  • /CorkDisplay true def, saying whether or not to bother.
  • /GlassesClusteredOnCorkDisplay GlassesClusteredOnDecantingNotes def, saying which glasses go there;
  • CorkDisplayMinWidth and CorkDisplayMinHeight, being minimum sizes.
Then the code works out how many can go on each sheet. Each is a rectangle, surrounded by the Circlearrays text, very small, and containing, larger but not very large, the various title-like texts. Sheets would be discretely titled ‟The Corks”.

Does that work?
Sounds great - if it's ready in time, i can try next month for the GC-SW-QH tasting. But i appreciate this is non-essential!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
Work has started. This work has revealed that the same chunk of code, with very small changes, appears four times in the current version. It is being wrapped into a sub-routine, perhaps to be called CirclearrayInStraightLine, to do the same a little better. This will result in a minor improvement to the tasting-note pages, as well as being used in cork-display pages. Rejoice!
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

The value "/NonDecanterLabelGlassesNumCopies 1 def" appears a few lines below the comment "% Non-Glasses Pages %". Changing this value to zero appears to stop the glasses pages from being printed. Is this as intended, or what is this variable intended to control?

Also, perhaps a trivial detail but - is there a setting to define the width of any exclusion area on the glasses sheets between the outer ring of text as defined by circlearrays and the inner text defined by titles, belowtitles? In a couple of cases experimenting I found that the inner text can (virtually) meet the outer, and therefore by allowing optionally configurable decrease of the effective inner circle size (in which the title/belowtitle are sized and placed) by a small degree (say <=5%, configurable, or a fixed amount e.g. 1mm) might help clarity?
On a PC the specification of NotePad++ looks encouraging user feedback welcomed
I use Notepad++ daily and find it is an excellent context-sensitive-highlighting text editor for use with many languages including postscript (though I hadn't used it for that particular language before today, I use it for several others regularly); highly recommended.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:The value "/NonDecanterLabelGlassesNumCopies 1 def" appears a few lines below the comment "% Non-Glasses Pages %". Changing this value to zero appears to stop the glasses pages from being printed. Is this as intended, or what is this variable intended to control?
This might be slightly mis-placed, but does what it seems to do. Why, oh why? Because several page types, including decanter labels and pre-pour and sticky-labels, contain extracts from the glasses pages. If there are no glasses pages, there cannot be sticky labels. But what if!? Then have glasses pages, and show 0 copies of them.
PhilW wrote:Also, perhaps a trivial detail but - is there a setting to define the width of any exclusion area on the glasses sheets between the outer ring of text as defined by circlearrays and the inner text defined by titles, belowtitles? In a couple of cases experimenting I found that the inner text can (virtually) meet the outer, and therefore by allowing optionally configurable decrease of the effective inner circle size (in which the title/belowtitle are sized and placed) by a small degree (say <=5%, configurable, or a fixed amount e.g. 1mm) might help clarity?
They can indeed touch. Such a parameter could be added, though I think it should be expressed a proportion of one of the radii (Radii, RadiiCirclearrayBaseline, or RadiiCirclearrayInside). Suggest a name for the parameter. (Edit: though the boundaries of the Titles etc are separately constrained if there are decanter labels, and of course common sizing will also shrink some.)
PhilW wrote:
On a PC the specification of NotePad++ looks encouraging user feedback welcomed
I use Notepad++ daily and find it is an excellent context-sensitive-highlighting text editor for use with many languages including postscript (though I hadn't used it for that particular language before today, I use it for several others regularly); highly recommended.
Thank you: manual updated.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:The value "/NonDecanterLabelGlassesNumCopies 1 def" appears a few lines below the comment "% Non-Glasses Pages %". Changing this value to zero appears to stop the glasses pages from being printed. Is this as intended, or what is this variable intended to control?
This might be slightly mis-placed, but does what it seems to do. Why, oh why? Because several page types, including decanter labels and pre-pour and sticky-labels, contain extracts from the glasses pages. If there are no glasses pages, there cannot be sticky labels. But what if!? Then have glasses pages, and show 0 copies of them.
In that case I wouldn't suggest it was mis-placed, but perhaps a change of name to something like "/InhibitGlassesPagePrinting" for clarity?
jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:Also, perhaps a trivial detail but - is there a setting to define the width of any exclusion area on the glasses sheets between the outer ring of text as defined by circlearrays and the inner text defined by titles, belowtitles? In a couple of cases experimenting I found that the inner text can (virtually) meet the outer, and therefore by allowing optionally configurable decrease of the effective inner circle size (in which the title/belowtitle are sized and placed) by a small degree (say <=5%, configurable, or a fixed amount e.g. 1mm) might help clarity?
They can indeed touch. Such a parameter could be added, though I think it should be expressed a proportion of one of the radii (Radii, RadiiCirclearrayBaseline, or RadiiCirclearrayInside). Suggest a name for the parameter. (Edit: though the boundaries of the Titles etc are separately constrained if there are decanter labels, and of course common sizing will also shrink some.)
If I've understood the current variables correctly - Radii being the radius to the outside of the circlearray text, and RadiiCircleArrayInside to be the radius to the inside of the circlearray text - then I'd suggest RadiiCirclearrayInsideMargin with default either zero (to print as current) or 0.025 (to provide a 2.5% (radially) gap).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:In that case I wouldn't suggest it was mis-placed, but perhaps a change of name to something like "/InhibitGlassesPagePrinting" for clarity?
Good clarity (though elsewhere I have used !Suppress!); but removes the ≥2 functionality. For what would one want the ≥2 functionality? Hmmm. Not sure. Perhaps for a tasting on a train, in which spillage is expected and substitutions desired? Hmmm.
PhilW wrote:If I've understood the current variables correctly - Radii being the radius to the outside of the circlearray text, and RadiiCircleArrayInside to be the radius to the inside of the circlearray text - then I'd suggest RadiiCirclearrayInsideMargin with default either zero (to print as current) or 0.025 (to provide a 2.5% (radially) gap).
You have understood, though the name might need to be nearer to the rather horrible TitlesEtcInsideMarginProportionRadiiCirclearrayInside.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Oh no! More of a thread that might as well be written in Greek for all my understanding.

Perhaps I should reactivate the thread on the technicalities of cricket...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You should delight that, at no effort to yourself, TPF’s finest minds are keeping me in check. Express joy.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:You should delight that, at no effort to yourself, TPF’s finest minds are keeping me in check. Express joy.
This is true. I apologise for my earlier, churlish comment. My thanks and appreciation go to those able to contribute meaningfully to this thread and keep Julian challenged and in check.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.