Martinez vertical?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Martinez vertical?

Post by Conky »

Split by jdaw1 from One quiz at a time after AHB revealed that it ‟is Martinez who is the fourth most represented shipper in my cellar”.

Al-B,

you have loads of Martinez??? My ears have pricked up. If ever the North of England needs (and gets) a Cork repairing accountant, and your lifetime aversion to the friendlier half of England abates, could you bring up a few bottles, and I'll chuck in one of my last 85's. I don't think I've ever heard of a Martinez Vertical, never mind drunk one?

Al-C
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: One quiz at a time

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Conky wrote:Al-B,

you have loads of Martinez??? My ears have pricked up. If ever the North of England needs (and gets) a Cork repairing accountant, and your lifetime aversion to the friendlier half of England abates, could you bring up a few bottles, and I'll chuck in one of my last 85's. I don't think I've ever heard of a Martinez Vertical, never mind drunk one?

Al-C
An interesting thought. I've never heard of a Martinez vertical either - and it was your discovery of that bottle of Martinex 1985 that first opened my taste-buds to their potential.

On very rare occasions, I do have to visit Warrington. I know that is north of the Thames so I guess it must be near you somewhere.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: One quiz at a time

Post by Conky »

Blood & Sand!!!!

I'm 10 minutes away. (By pony and trap, of course).

So I will await the alignment of the planets, and the day all the cows sit down facing eastwards, with relish!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Martinez vertical?

Post by jdaw1 »

Martinez used to be a big shipper of huge reputation. Would a deeper and more thorough vertical be welcome? (It would by me.)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm more than happy to have a deeper vertical of Martinez, but it would most likely have to be organised somewhere north of the Thames and would have to coincide with the alignement of the planets and the cows sitting down facing east (or me travelling to Warrington, whichever is soonest).

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:I'm more than happy to have a deeper vertical of Martinez, but it would most likely have to be organised somewhere north of the Thames and would have to coincide with the alignement of the planets and the cows sitting down facing east (or me travelling to Warrington, whichever is soonest).

Alex
I'd be up for it - very fond of Martinez. I even know where the mythical "North" may be.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Now Listen!

With subtle imagery, and the thought of an unusual but thoroughly pleasant Port tasting, I have nearly (so close...), nearly got Alex to venture up North to drink Port.

How ever you may care to hijack this and make it even better for the lovers of the Purple Sunshine, don't let him run to the cover of Covent Garden, have 3 days of preparation, morning and afternoon tastings, early departure for the last train, and carrying a spit bucket......PLEASE!!!!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:How ever you may care to hijack this and make it even better for the lovers of the Purple Sunshine, don't let him run to the cover of Covent Garden, have 3 days of preparation, morning and afternoon tastings, early departure for the last train, and carrying a spit bucket......PLEASE!!!!
You’ve got ‟up north”. Preparation and multiple sessions are almost inevitable though.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I do have a bottle of the 1963 if you guys need.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

Hi Conky, all,

How is this working? There hasn't been an invitation or anything, but I'd rather like to join in the potential event, if I might, subject to availability and what-not. I thoroughly enjoyed my previous outing to The North, and got home without catching Scurvy, so I'm prepared to risk it again. I even (for the first time I can remember) have port that fits the tasting, though it is the widely available Martinez 85.

Cheers,

Ghandih
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hi Simon,

great to hear from you. Hows Waste Disposal these days? I suppose you could say we are in the same trade!

Anyway, to catch a rare bird, we are waiting on Alex-B having a reason to go towards Warrington. The moment he gets wind of such a trip, we'll all kick into action. It can be at mine again, like the F Plan, or at a neutral venue. If you, Jules and Al-K are up for it, it is already sounding good. But it is probably wise to keep it relatively low key, until the rare bird is snared!