The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

15 bottles of Port is enough for 5 people - honest. I think we proved this in Birmingham.
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Count me for not more than 1½.

Post by jdaw1 »

Count me for not more than 1½.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:15 bottles of Port is enough for 5 people - honest. I think we proved this in Birmingham.
I can't remember - I was asleep :lol:

Anyway, we now have 4.9 confirmed attendees, 0.1 who just needs to say "yes, I'm definately coming", one who needs to sort some reasonable travel from the other side of the globe and one who keeps saying no but might still say yes if we keep badgering him for another few weeks.

So, that could be 7. A few more mouths on top of that and we could be requiring more bottles, or have enough dosh to replace some of the low end stuff with 1 or 2 more expensive ones.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

It is not low end stuff.

We are talking about Fonseca here. It is just young or not such good years, it is by no stretch of the imagination low end.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was talking relatively.

I hear what you say, but bomething like F75 or F83 is definately low-end compared with F27 or F77. My point is that adding more wallets and dropping F75, 80, 83 and 00(too young) from the line-up may open up the possibility for 1 or 2 more 40+ year old wines to savour.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

You always need stars to shine in the Cosmos. If every star shone as bright as the Sun we would be blinded.

Philosophy lesson ends here.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

That sounds like a man on the Cheeky Vimto's!!!

Make it as grand as we can (and can afford), but we cant really go wrong, can we?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Yes, we can.

A genuinely top tasting needs good quality wines all the way through... we have that. It needs, at the most, two or three exceptional wines. If you overdo it on ecxceptional wines you will lose the standard.

I have come across people that say "I will not drink a wine under 90 points". This is bow legs, you lose perspective.

I was at the tasting of 63, 66 and 70 of Fonseca, Taylor, Graham and Sandeman, and I can promise you it was getting a bit picky. I was willing to discard Sandeman altogether as not having the 'it' factor.

It's not that I want to cut down the great wines, it's that I want to appreciate the ones that are there.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Fairy Snuff!

I'll cede that point, and it was well made. My only mitigation, is I dont have many of these Special nights and pure greed is kicking in.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB,

I hear and accept the wisdom of your thinking. You win by a country mile.

I too was seduced into thinking the Sandeman trio, and even some of the other non-F's were in some way "inferior" ports. The truth is that all of what we consumed that night would stand on its own feet and give great pleasure in doing so.

Am I a spolied brat? Yes, I think I am :roll:

Derek T.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Please may I live in a world in which F80 is low-end stuff

Post by jdaw1 »

Please sir, may I live in a world in which Fonseca 1980 is low-end stuff — with or without the hyphen?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes, off course you can. No hyphen required.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Fingers crossed, in the most ordinary of surroundings, around the time that September dawns...you will be living in a World where its Low-End,

At least for one night! :wink:

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Flights booked

Post by jdaw1 »

Flights booked. CO100 EWR→MAN, dep 22:05 Fri 31 Aug arr 09:55 Sat 01 Sep.

How do I get from Manchester airport to chez Conky?
  • Somebody will be en route to Conky themselves, at approximately a suitable time, and can collect me: volunteers?
  • Public transport? Clues welcomed.
  • Car rental — pessimal.
On arrival I’ll be needing a clean-up and two hours sleep. After that, I’m yours.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Glasses

Post by jdaw1 »

Glasses: with 10ish bottles, and say 6+ people, we’ll need 60+ matching glasses. Conky: do you have? Failing which, should I, as part of my contribution, buy some number of these (or maybe from here)?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

All of those issues will be sorted in the next 5 weeks or so. Worst case scenario, I'll pick you up from the Airport, but your right, I think someone maybe able to coincide coming over and pick you up on route.
You can bed down at mine for a few hours and shower,etc.
We'll have to firm up numbers and see how many glasses the participants can muster, and maybe purchase a few more if needed.
Having spent the afternoon playing a 'couldn't get out of it' competitve game of golf, whilst the rain came down like stair rods, whats worrying me more is the weather. There's no problems with it being indoors, but it will be so much nicer, if we can catch a balmy late summer afternoon/ evening. Fingers crossed.

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I can bring my eight port glasses!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Available: Fonseca 1960 1966 1977 1985

Post by jdaw1 »

Whilst acknowledging that the shortage is of people rather than port, it should be mentioned that there are a few bottles in my collection located 20 miles south of Gatwick. If anyone can be in that neighbourhood before the 1st of September, and is able to transport from there to sunny St. Helens, there would be available Fonseca 1960 1966 1977 1985. Of these only the 1960 isn’t already on the list above.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Acceptance of post of scribe

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2208#2208]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I wasn’t there, but that won’t stop me giving my opinion of the evening.
  • A great showing of people;
  • many more than none of whom are much better than me at identifying ports blind (perhaps because my tastings are always sighted);
  • a considerable quantity of port was consumed;
  • resulting in some late-evening confusion (trains, bottles, usual stuff);
  • and a complete absence of photos of bottles, liquid, corks, or people.
Am I wrong?
jdaw,

You are now elected as Official Scribe for Offline #2 - that is the most concise and accurate assessment of the evening out of all the posts in this thread :lol:

Derek
I am honoured and flattered to be offered a post of such grave responsibility. Though I cannot hope to aspire to the great standards of the Founders, the Ancient Lights of this August Institution, in my own modest way I shall endeavour to do my best† .

†  My best excluding the taking of photos, as the wife will have the camera.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw,

I will be driving to St Helens from Edinburgh in the afternoon which is really the wrong time for me to pick you up at the airport, which I would have been delighted to do if the timing was right.

On glasses, I can supply at least 11. Not identical, but all are port glasses.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Acceptance of post of scribe

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: I am honoured and flattered to be offered a post of such grave responsibility. Though I cannot hope to aspire to the great standards of the Founders, the Ancient Lights of this August Institution, in my own modest way I shall endeavour to do my best† .

†  My best excluding the taking of photos, as the wife will have the camera.
Will Mrs Jdaw be joining us as Official Photographer?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Derek T.’s travel and glasses

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I will be driving to St Helens from Edinburgh in the afternoon which is really the wrong time for me to pick you up at the airport, which I would have been delighted to do if the timing was right.
Well, thank you for thinking of me. When you’re an hour from Manchester call Conky to find out whether my flight [edit: CO100 EWR→MAN] is horrendously late. If it is, invent a plan with him and leave a message on my UK mobile 07768 95 0123.
Derek T. wrote:On glasses, I can supply at least 11. Not identical, but all are port glasses.
If you’re willing to drink from them, they’re good enough. If not, well, not.
Derek T. wrote:Will Mrs Jdaw be joining us as Official Photographer?
Mrs Wiseman thinks there are better things to do than spend an evening with men drinking port until drunk. How wrong she is.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 23:42 Sat 21 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Derek T.’s travel and glasses

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: Well, thank you for thinking of me. When you’re an hour from Manchester call Conky to find out whether my flight is horrendously late. If it is, invent a plan with him and leave a message on my UK mobile 07768 95 0123.
Your number is now on my mobile and I will happily hatch a plan if required.
jdaw1 wrote:If you’re willing to drink from them, they’re good enough. If not, well, not.
I have drunk from each of them many times and will happily do so again.
jdaw1 wrote:Mrs Wiseman thinks there are better things to do than spend an evening with men drinking port until drunk. How wrong she is.
Not wrong at all
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Jdaw1,

your flights coming in at 10ish in the morning? So add half an hour for luggage etc, and thinking about it, its probably too early for someone coming over. I'll fall on my sword and collect you. If you do get delayed, that might actually help. But it can all get firmed up a few weeks before.

Glasses wont be a problem unless you want special ones. I know quite a few licencees, and even if they haven't got them in stock, I'll get them to purchase cheaper glasses, of a Port type, in any quantity from their trade suppliers. Obviously it will be cheaper if we russle up enough through the attendees. I'll have a camera that you've previously seen the results of. Nothing special, but adequate.

Now by all means keep thinking of the little things, but relax, it'll all get sorted. Two weeks before the event, I would like a firmer idea of numbers and Port line-up, the rest will sort its self. You just turn up chilled and looking forward to good Port.

Alan.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think now that jdaw has gone to the trouble of booking flights it would be good if others would confirm attendance so that we can make some firm plans for wine, glasses and beds.

I think the current list is as follows:
  • Corky - definitely
  • jdaw - definitely
  • KillerB - definitely
  • Uncle Tom - definitely maybe
  • Jay P. - maybe
  • AHB - probably not but maybe
  • The Roots - would rather be drinking German beer :?
Please confirm or update your status ASAP. Anyone not on the list remains more than welcome to join us.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn