The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I have a copy of The Justified Ancients of Mu-Mu's (aka The JAMMS, aka KLF) classic "It's Grim Up North" which I could have brought along for the occasion.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jay P wrote: The lineup looks great, the people fantastic, but I think I will need to miss this one due to work. Please toast me (and with the 27, not the 2000!) and enjoy what looks likely to be a night to remember!

Jay
Jay,

We will indeed toast an absent friend with a Fonseca Bin 27 :wink:

It's a great shame that you can't join us. Let us know if you ever plan to visit the UK and we'll try to set something up that makes up for you missing out on the fun this time.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I’ve found internet access. Yes, I’m in.

Post by jdaw1 »

I’ve found internet access. Yes, I’m in.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Re: Taking it to the limit

Post by Ghandih »

jdaw1 wrote:
Ghandih wrote:Should the nets be thrown out on the other side of the boat, to see what we might drag up?
Where do you think you came from?
Wasn't there a stork or something?

Subject to the financial proviso, I'm in. Does this earlyish confirmation increase my chances of somewhere to sleep? I could bring a tent if necessary, but it's bound to be raining, and presumably the garden has been concreted over?

Ghhhhandi
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Sleeping shouldn't be an issue. Unless you've got very high standards or are a major fussy bugger!
Debs and I, as well as our own room, have a box room and a large bedroom with two singles. So thats 3 of you, and we can easily put another camp bed type in the large room. We also have 3 large Settee's. You'll also find in a previous Post to Jdaw1 a nearby Pub and a relatively nearby good Hotel. So we can accomodate allsorts.
The idea is to muck in. Bring an overnight bag, and ignore the dodgey bedrooms. Mine and Debs is lovely and plush...but hard luck! Downstairs is neat and tidy, and if you manage to look down your noses at the decor of the bedrooms, the previous night must have been crap as well! (Now with all that Fonseca...whats the chances?)
If I keep on the right side of Debs, she'll do a very unhealthy Northern Fry Up in the morning. It will consist of varying types of dead farmyard animals cut into edible portions, toast and a huge cup of tea/coffee. (Paracetemol optional)

So that is what can loosely be called a plan. Now there's always 'the individualist', but we try to cater for them as well. This image below is of a Deranged Celt, who happened upon around 8 bottles of half decent Port, and with me by his side, had a good go at drinking them all. He had a penchant for expenses cigars, and after deciding he had definitely had his fair share, decided to setup camp where he sat!
Debs put a blanket around him, looked at a pointlessly smiling me, and mumbled 'Idiots' before retiring.
If your really adventurous, you can kip under the stars... Image ...but really!!!

So choose your level of accomodation...and dive in.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I will bring a sleeping bag and a pillow. Couch does for me, especially as it is only 5 yards from patio so not as far to go as the spare bedroom 88)

Gandihhh, please note that all the port glasses in the above photograph are empty. By this point in the evening all I had to keep me awake was half of a rather nice cuban cigar (a Coppa Cabana, I think?) and Alan's crap jokes.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

It all looks immensely civil, doesn't it? And this is really St Helens rather than Church Crookham? Gosh. :lol:

I will bring an overnight kit myself, and either grab a sofa or a cumfy bit of floor that not's swaying too much.

I like the late night photo, too. I've been known to have a cigar when tipsy, but tend to only manage little ones. jdaw, by contrast, has a veritable stock of long ones, though whether he can access them (they're locked up in Blighty somewhere, cos the Yanks don't approve of Cubans) is another matter. Anyway, I can't see him managing one after all that port. Makes your head hurt.

Love the sound of the Northern Fry-Up, too. Black Pud and everything, I shouldn't wonder! It's amazing how they manage to soak up all the headache.

Just one other thing. I'm getting a bit concerned about the prospect of Alan's jokes. Is there anything that can be done?!

Ganhdi
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

No - they just happen. I tried to make it obvious by banging my head against the table but they just kept coming.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

You guys can have the 'No Joke Package'

It involves wearing a red sparkley Cowboy Hat and Fluffy Slippers. But no jokes, definitley no jokes.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Don't believe him. I wore the fluffy slippers last time and the jokes still continued - unfortunately, you can't see the slippers in the photo :?

Derek

PS: Well done Gahhhhhndhhhi, a sure fire entry in Apostrophe Crimes 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I've been trying to fit this event into my diary, but the timing really couldn't be worse. Even if I did make it up to St Helens, I would have to drive back again in the morning before I could be sure of being sober...

So I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one.

For my sins I will donate a modest bottle...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

This is a great shame. It would have been good to have you with us.

What a very kind gesture, although I struggle to see how anyone could describe a Fonseca 1927 as a modest bottle :shock::lol:

I will be in touch offline.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

With the loss of Tom, understandably, comes the loss of the 1927 from the lineup. However, Tom has very graciously offered to allow us to purchase the other bottles he had offered to supply. This means that if we want to stick to the Fonseca theme the lineup will be as follows:
I will email the attendees with info on cost.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

eleven bottles is too many for five people

Post by jdaw1 »

Call me a big girl’s blouse if you must, but eleven bottles is too many for five people. Even assuming that the dodgy 1920 is undrinkable, ten is OTT. We should cull one or two.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Wuss
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: eleven bottles is too many for five people

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Call me a big girl’s blouse if you must, but eleven bottles is too many for five people. Even assuming that the dodgy 1920 is undrinkable, ten is OTT. We should cull one or two.
OK, you're a big girl's blouse :lol:

Seriously, I don't see the problem. Suppose we only drink the equivalent 6 of them on the night. All that means is that we each have some nice port to take away and drink over the following couple of days. Waste? What waste?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry I am going to miss this, but let me assure you, that is NOT too many bottles for this group of Port drinkers. Derek and I have done some serious damage just between the 2 of us last time we were in Portugal. And that was after drinking all day at a couple of Quintas 88) So 11 bottles sounds just about right.

Guys have a fun time and raise a glass for me, as I will be there in spirit.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Consensus

Post by jdaw1 »

I’m in for the OTT plan.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Shame about Tom, but the line up sounds great. I'll do my 2 bottles worth, and I'll try to help the stragglers!!!
So roll on the F Plan. Are you going to collect it all Derek and take Money on the night, or do you want anything upfront?
The weather seems to have finally changed, so fingers crossed.
I've got a Router on the computer, so there is the wireless facility, if anyone brings a laptop. I haven't got one myself, but I can probably aquire one. One of Debs kids uses his regularly when he visits. I've also got a limited WebCam, but no microphone at the moment.

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I'll bring my lap-dog, but I'm not sure what good a chihuahua will do for us.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Camera; computer with FTP program

Post by jdaw1 »

We should also have a digital camera, a means of loading pictures therefrom into a computer, and that computer should have an FTP program.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I will arrange to pick-up the wines from Tom and let you know the arrangements for money transfer individually by PM or email.

I will also bring my camera and laptop and have the means to publish pictures on flickr.com so no FTP program required.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

Have a really great time you guys - I truly wish I could be there… what a fabulous line-up.

Todd
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Cheers Todd and you other guys who can't attend.
Just remember that frontier spirit that forged North America into the Beacon of Sagacity and Peace it is today!
(In other words, if you wake up the day before, saying "Ah,blow it, I'm off to Conky's!"...We'll save you a seat. :D )

Alan
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

Conky wrote:Cheers Todd and you other guys who can't attend.
Just remember that frontier spirit that forged North America into the Beacon of Sagacity and Peace it is today!
(In other words, if you wake up the day before, saying "Ah,blow it, I'm off to Conky's!"...We'll save you a seat. :D )

Alan
Alan, if I were to wake up and say something like that, then one fo two very dramatic things would have happened the night before:
1 (happily) I won the lottery
2 (unhappily) my wife left me and took the kids

Either event would probably drive to that rash type of decision! ;) How better to deal with either event than to go back in time with a fairly deep vertical of Fonseca. (If I had won the lottery, I would have to arrange a stop by Tom's cellar in order to purchase my fair share into the event! :)

Todd