The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

FTP please

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I will also bring my camera and laptop and have the means to publish pictures on flickr.com so no FTP program required.
Being old and so distrustful of all this modern fly-by-night nonsense, I prefer to upload them to my website. If an FTP thingie-do-dah could be managed, along with a basic picture scaler and trimmer, it would make me marginally more happy than a Fonseca vertical would be itself. (But it’s marginal: these small numbers are swamped by the orders-of-magnitude bigger Fonseca factor.)

Thanks.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Does you website have an FTP-thingy-do-da that I could access from here to try uploading a picture?

The reason I ask is that I have no idea whether or not my laptop has an FTP-thingy-do-da of its own.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Todd P wrote: ...if I were to wake up and say something like that, then one fo two very dramatic things would have happened the night before:
1 (happily) I won the lottery
2 (unhappily) my wife left me and took the kids
Todd,

What if 1 and 2 happened simultaneously?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

SmartFTP

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Does you website have an FTP-thingy-do-da that I could access from here to try uploading a picture?
Not really. Try the main help menu, and look for FTP.

Or download something like SmartFTP.com (being a Mac boy I haven’t used this myself, so can’t vouch for it). Maybe work IT will be able to recommend. Ghhhhhhhandi: you’re a windows laddie who maintains a small website: recommendations?
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

I'm sorry, but this conversation has got so very dull that I'm not sure I really care. Why do we want an effty floppit anyway?

I guess if it's so that absent friends can join us vicariously, I withdraw my grumble - that is a very noble thing - but don't ask me how to do it. I'm only just cottoning on to the fact that all my friends' pictures now live on facebook. Do I really want an account of my own?

hGandi
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Gandhi,

Well said. I find it hard to take Tasting Notes, never mind all this technical stuff!
Look on the bright side, while these techno-wizards are doing their thing, we'll drink Port and sort the world out. :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw,

What about a compromise? We will use flickr.com on the night, cos it works and is very easy to do, and we also transfer all of the photo's onto CD so that you can take them home to floptidop them onto your website another day?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

compromise? Avert gaze!

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:What about a compromise?
That you avert your gaze as I cope? Agreed!
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

So is this all this fuss just so we can take some photos and upload them for our PTF chums to see? Blimey.

Maybe you should just check with them that they really want to look at pictures of us smugly tucking into pukka port? Are you so sure that will be pleasant? Oh look, doesn't Ghandih look trolleyed in this one!

Conky, I'm with you. I'm sure I've sorted the world out in the past, but I always forget to write the answer down. Maybe we could get the techies to record our ramblings, so that we can pick out the solution the next morning, over the fry-up!

Gahndi
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ghandih,

Don't let Conky fool you into thinking he is an honourable chap. The photo of me in this thread (drunk, smoking and sleeping on Conky's patio) was posted on the internet before I woke up 30 minutes after it was taken :shock:

Oh, and AHB requested that we have some means of posting near real time TN's and photos so that he can join us in spirit as he sits at home watching Big Brother and sipping a glass of Fonseca Bin27 :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:D :D :D

Thats called having a sense of humour!

Not being a Technical Anorak.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The F Plan is now a certainty. The wines have been secured from each supplier and cash is begining to change hands. We now need to turn our attention to less important matters, in order of priority:

1. Glasses: we need lots of these. I have around 12 proper port glasses. KillerB has a few and Conky (I think) has a few. We probably have between 20 and 30 between the three of us against a maximum requirement of 55. Conky - is there anywhere close to you who could supply around 30 proper port glasses on loan for the evening?

2. Tasting Mats: jdaw, please do your stuff

3. Food: suggestions for what we eat for (a) a meal, (b) mid taste snacks and (c) late night port-soak-up feast

4. Cigars: I think I smoked all Conky's last time - do we need to bring some along?

5. Accommodation: Can Chez Conky cope with 4 drunk men overnight?

6. Internet Access: sorted

7. The Lovely Debs: Is some sort of compensatory gift in order in return for (a) having 5 drunk men stay in her house (b) a life ahead with Conky and (c) cooking us breakfast (this item should probably have a higher priority)

8. Travel Arrangements: Is everyone sorted on getting to Conky's?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:The F Plan is now a certainty. The wines have been secured from each supplier and cash is begining to change hands. We now need to turn our attention to less important matters, in order of priority:

1. Glasses: we need lots of these. I have around 12 proper port glasses. KillerB has a few and Conky (I think) has a few. We probably have between 20 and 30 between the three of us against a maximum requirement of 55. Conky - is there anywhere close to you who could supply around 30 proper port glasses on loan for the evening? I have 8, I can get more

2. Tasting Mats: jdaw, please do your stuff

3. Food: suggestions for what we eat for (a) a meal, (b) mid taste snacks and (c) late night port-soak-up feast I have a few things to bring along, I have a very good source of sausages

4. Cigars: I think I smoked all Conky's last time - do we need to bring some along?

5. Accommodation: Can Chez Conky cope with 4 drunk men overnight?

6. Internet Access: sorted

7. The Lovely Debs: Is some sort of compensatory gift in order in return for (a) having 5 drunk men stay in her house (b) a life ahead with Conky and (c) cooking us breakfast (this item should probably have a higher priority) I had every intention of bringing along appropriate pleasantries

8. Travel Arrangements: Is everyone sorted on getting to Conky's? Near Skem somewhere

Derek
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Your quite right, it now needs firming up.

1. Leave it with me for a few days. I've got 4. But I'll speak to a few licencee mates.
3. I can get a basic selection of cheese, crackers and chocolate. Anyone any more imaginative ideas?
4. I've got one nice cigar each. Partagas. You dont normally need more than one a night, but if anyone thinks otherwise, maybe they could arrange.
5. That should be a breeze. Again, not the greatest. But small box room, single bed. Large bedroom, two singles and a put up bed. Thats not considering the sleep where you drop types, couches,etc.
7. I'm sure she like a bunch of flowers as a gesture. But dont go overboard.
8. I'm already here!!! Julian, looks like I'm still down to collect you. We'll have to PM closer to the day to arrange Pink Carnations in button holes etc.

What time are we considering? Suppose it'll have to start when the last one can get here. Anyone got something on that day?
Last time with Derek was pretty casual. A few cold beers, a chinese. and we cracked on. I presume we want clean fresh palate's for this tasting, but still a beer or two, and what about a meal before?
I haven't got a decent filter for my 85. I'll keep on the look out. Closer to the day, we're going to have to discuss decant times.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Is there a final really-final list of ports?

Post by jdaw1 »

Will do mats Sunday or Monday. Is there a final really-final list of ports? Conky: what is the largest paper size onto which you can print? Does your office have legal (and how large is UK legal?)? Failing legal, A3?

Other things: please keep something approximating to a list of costs, so that my share is not forgotten.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Offline pieces

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:Pink Carnations in button holes
Flowers in button holes are too smelly. But, on the subject of dress code, I will have my DJ with me: do we want to be that formal? Adds a sense of grandeur.
Conky wrote:A few cold beers
We have lots of port: no beer for me thanks.
Conky wrote:I haven't got a decent filter for my 85.
I’ll bring my portable funnel and filter.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Offline pieces

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:
Conky wrote:Pink Carnations in button holes
Flowers in button holes are too smelly. But, on the subject of dress code, I will have my DJ with me: do we want to be that formal? Adds a sense of grandeur.
A personal DJ? Wow. I was considering hiring Fatboy Slim for the night but if you've got your own, why bother?
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Gentlemen,

I have a HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One. It seems it doesn't do A3. If thats right, I'm not at work at the moment, so can anyone else take the larger Table Mats off Julian, and bring them up?

I have 'Black Tie', and cant argue it'll look great in photo's and adds to the sense of occassion. I'll go along with it if the majority want it, but I'm voting against it. I go to enough Black Tie/Jacket & Tie functions, and wear a tie at work. Its more of an interesting occassion for me if its relaxed and casual. But I'm nothing if I'm not democratic. Views please.

Thanks for the filter offer, and as you get there early enough, it'll fit in with any agreed Decanting times.

I've started the negotiation on glasses. I'm taking one to a licencee tomorrow to let him have a look. He's saying it sounds like an Eldon Glass??? But says he should be able to help either way. Do I want 60 if borrowed or rented, and 40 if purchase?

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I don't have a personal DJ and have no plans to get one so it will be casual dress for me.

For the next 2 weeks I will have access to an A3 colour printer.

The final final final list is:
  • Fonseca 1920
  • Fonseca 1963
  • Fonseca 1966
  • Fonseca 1970
  • Fonseca 1975
  • Fonseca 1977
  • Fonseca 1980
  • Fonseca 1983
  • Fonseca 1985
  • Fonseca 1992
  • Fonseca 2000
Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Colour printers

Post by jdaw1 »

Colour printers typically have output that smudges if wet: no good for this task. Please test.

Eleven glasses looks best on something as wide as A4 but longer: US legal my usual preference. Do any have such a size of paper?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps the best solution is for you to bring them with you, provided you will have access to the necessary printing facilities before you depart for the UK.

I will test the colour printer next week. I think it is a colour laser printer rather than the ink/bubble-jet type so it may be fit for purpose although paper sizes are limited to A4 or A3.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I am now back online, officially.

Post by jdaw1 »

I am now back online, officially.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Fonseca tasting placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

Fonseca tasting placemats, and, for absolutely no good reason at all, a psychedelic version.

Please would someone check the various details that are on the placemats.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw,

Excellent, although I think I could live without the psychedelic version!

Please deduct £10 from the price of the F63 as I quoted the wrong price, which has now been corrected by Tom. We will sort out the adjustment to contributions on the night.

Are you planning to bring the mats and labels with you or do you need someone to print them here in Blighty?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Decanting Times

Here is my plan for decanting the wines. All wines will be decanted and then returned almost immediately to their original bottle and kept as close to cellar temperature as can be achieved until the arrive at Conky's. The bottles will only be stoppered for 1-2hrs during transportation.

Please feel free to disagree and put forward an alternative for any or all wines:
  • F20 - 3 Hours
  • F63 - 6 Hours
  • F66 - 6 Hours
  • F70 - 10 Hours
  • F75 - 8 Hours
  • F77 - 10 Hours
  • F80 - 10 Hours
  • F83 - 10 Hours
  • F85 - suggest 24 Hours (Conky's)
  • F92 - 10 Hours
  • F00 - 48 Hours
Derek