The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Fonseca tasting placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

[Edited in error]: Fonseca tasting placemats, and, for absolutely no good reason at all, a psychedelic version.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 23:07 Sun 19 Aug 2007, edited 3 times in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Excellent
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I will be with you - but only in spirit.

I've got so may travel commitments between now and the end of September (including some rugby watching visits to the continent) that I will absolutely not be able to make it to St Helens for TPF Offline #2.

I hope you enjoy yourselves and have a fantastic time enjoying what should be some amazing ports, even the lesser ones :wink:

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

This offline also mentioned on FTLOP

Post by jdaw1 »

This offline also mentioned here.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I suspect the participants probably know the Fonseca History. But I was certainly hazy, and if you have the time, I found this.
It gives general background information of how Fonseca came to be and how it developed.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

In years to come port enthusiasts will read of the time when a group of the worlds finest and tasters gathered together in a town call St Helens to tackle the greatest line-up of Fonseca's ever known 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I must say, i tried really hard to get some days off work to make this. I figured it would be a fun surprise to show up with some bottles. I really do want to meet you guys in person and have some fun. But work had other ideas since I am already taking time off work in October. Have no fear, plan "B" is in the works to try and stop off on the back to the states.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Straight in

Post by Ghandih »

Aha,

So that wicked man, JDAW, in whose illustrious company several tens of VPs have met a happy death, informed me that some poor unfortunates in St Helens had got themselves into a terrible fix, and faced an evening of more VP than they could possibly manage. I hasten to add that this is not to impute them as amateur drinkers. Oh, no. But VP is a beautiful thing, and 15 bottles between four and three-possible people is going to be wasteful. Even if you drunk the lot, I troth it wouldn’t stay drunk. :oops: (this emoticon is called 'oops', but he's looking queasy to me).

Now, my professional line of business is saving the world. It’s a big job, I know that to be true, but someone has to do it. Luckily, there are a few of us at it, so I tend to concentrate on waste management. I get quite wound up by endless media campaigns grumbling about excess packaging; it is a problem, but a much bigger issue is wastefulness. They say that one third of the food we British buy is thrown away untouched, and that is criminal.

[Getting to point soon] So hearing about you chaps trying to shovel 15 bottles of port down four and three-possible necks makes me cross, because I know there will be leftovers. It might be the Fonseca 83 that gets left behind â€‟ I noted its (relative) ranking as low-end â€‟ but there are good folk (I like to include myself among ‘em) who would sit very happily in a corner all evening sipping F83 with a contented look on their faces. AND they’d do the washing up afterwards.

All this leads me to wonder whether I might be able to join the great event (subject to permission from the missus, who may well be keen to come along herself, presenting the issue of dealing with the issue - Isabelle, 18 months old), and do my utmost to help reduce the leftovers. For the good of the planet, you understand. Earlier discussions suggest that attendees might bring along a bottle themselves by way of entrance fee. I could certainly do this (supposing I can find a missing vintage), but I respectfully suggest that increasing both attendees and the port lake will not reduce wastage. Could we come to some other arrangement?

It might all fall through and not work and be rotten, but this is rather exciting. I hope we can make it work.

Ghandhi
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hope it all comes together. Jdaw1 speaks highly of you, but we'll still try to give you a chance! :lol:
You know you'll becoming to the Barren Wastelands of the North (Eh? AHB?). Now although I think we're quite cultured up here, I suspect if you use that mode of transport and dress, thats in your Avatar, we may be turning our event into some form of Memorial! :o
Its nothing personal, the REAL Gandhi would have struggled with his No Violence policy on a Friday night in Liverpool City Centre!

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Simon is the right-most man in this picture

Post by jdaw1 »

For what little it’s worth, Simon is the right-most man in this picture, which appears in this post.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Collecting F60 so that m≠n

Post by jdaw1 »

Ghahhnhhhdhhhhihhhhh: if you’ll be passing anywhere near Gatwick betwixt now and 1st September, I could set you the task of collecting a bottle of F60 from my father’s. Just so that we’d have 16 bottles: it’s so much better to have a number that is both n^m and m^n, for integer m and n with mn.

Also, FYI,
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=530#530]Here[/url] our illustrious soon-to-be host, Conky, wrote:If ever you fancy roughing it, we'll save you a chair at one of ours. If you can keep a secret, there's not ONE decent Tasting Note surfaced from them. Strange that. Dereks even brought his Leather bound TN's Book, and then just shamefully shook his head when he's tried to read it the following morning.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

I have a client down in Sussex (Jim Beam, no less), so I might well be able to orchestrate a visit. I'll let you know if it looks like it might work.

I wonder if the evidence so far presented suggests that I might have the most organised tasting notes, given that I'm writing them down in a Black and Red book? It means they're all together, even though the comments get less revealing later on [eg I wrote "T27 hmmm". Thank-you, Ghandih, very helpful.]

I just spend 20 minutes adding my tasting notes on 1985 Martinez, which I thought might interest people. You won't find it on the website, though. I was using Dragon Naturally Speaking software to dictate the notes and many paragraphs in it just closed the window. All lost. Pants. Going to sulk now.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Ghandih,

Martinez 85? Wow. For sentimental reasons as well as taste. Thats my favourite Port. If you thought it was dire, I need a dark room and some pills to get over it. The bottle I had was actually Harveys 85, but that was just the American name for Martinez. See Here for a few verdicts.
If you can remember anything about it, I'd be quite curious. A full tasting note would have been fascinating, but such is life.

Alan[/url]
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I think Ghhhhhhahhhnhhdhhihh is saying that losing the notes was pants not that the Martinez was pants.
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

M85, but off-topic

Post by jdaw1 »

Feel free to add the M85 note here, noting carefully the correct title format of “1985 Martinez†. You had ten bottles as I recall, I taking two from that case.

Note: this post off-topic. Simon will be starting a new thread in which further posts on the subject can be made.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Back to the point

Post by Ghandih »

I feel I led us all a bit astray there, sorry about that. Silly computer.

I had hoped the venue might be the less well known St Helens in, err, Cornwall, or something like that, but I'm sure I'll probably be OK. I went to Liverpool once and got home again in one bit, and I've been to Manchester lots of times. Am I allowed to suggest that the two are similar in some way, or is that just classic Southerner ignorance? :? I'm from Hampshire by birth, and would be willing to say that Portsmouth and Southampton are fairly similar (to folk who don't class themselves as supporters of either team).

The tasting now seems to coincide with an event at the wife's hockey club, but she said there'd be no reason why she couldn't take the littl'un along with her. All in all, that counts as quite a large fraction of the Red Sea moving to one side to allow the (potentially) chosen one to the Promised Land. How exciting! :D

Any other obvious hurdles?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Straight in

Post by DRT »

Ghandih wrote:Earlier discussions suggest that attendees might bring along a bottle themselves by way of entrance fee. I could certainly do this (supposing I can find a missing vintage), but I respectfully suggest that increasing both attendees and the port lake will not reduce wastage. Could we come to some other arrangement?
Ghandhi,

I'm not sure we have enough mouths to contemplate adding further bottles to the line-up as yet, even though it may throw jdaw's formula into some kind of turmoil.

The plan so far has been that we will add up the total cost of the bottles in the line-up and then work out an even contribution from each participant. Those who have supplied the wines will have the cost offset against their contribution with any excess being refunded from the cash contributions of the others.

To ease your planet-saving consience I can confirm that there will be absolutely no waste other than the butts of Conky's cigars :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Straight in

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:The plan so far has been that we will add up the total cost of the bottles in the line-up and then work out an even contribution from each participant. Those who have supplied the wines will have the cost offset against their contribution with any excess being refunded from the cash contributions of the others.
That’s tickety-boo with me.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

That seems about as fair as it could possibly be. My concern is that there is such a splendid line up of quality ports, I won't be able to stomp up my share. It all seems a bit vulgar talking about money, but could someone find a fag packet with no writing on the back and do a quick estimation of the total cost of the currently offered ports? This will then enable me to guess at what level of attendees I could join the party (if not already unceremoniously dropped for being so impertinent).

Ghandhhi

PS Like the way you chaps are getting the hang of the aitches. Well done.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ghhhanhhdhhhhihhhh,

I have a very accurate fag packet that tells me that the cost of the 12 Fonseca vintage listed above is £997, providing they are sourced from Alan, Tom and I as we have already agreed prices privately that beat anything you will buy in a wine merchant.

The cost per person depends on the number of persons. I would say that 6 to 8 people could attend comfortably at 1.5 bottles of Fonseca each. If experience is anything to go buy there would be a few wildcard bottles thrown in for fun to see off the hard core at the end of the night.

If we have 6 people (Alan, Tom, KillerB, jdaw, yourself and I) that works out at £166.17 per person.

The biggest question remaining at this point in time is - "Tom, are you ready to commit to coming along?" - If the answer is "No", I fear we need a new theme :?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Taking it to the limit

Post by Ghandih »

Derek,

Many thanks for the sums. 12 bottles and six people will be tough, and I thought there were 15 bottles at a previous count (not that I'm being greedy - I'm not sure I can manage two myself, but I'm brave enough to try).

Anyway, my notional top whack was £150. You're telling me £167, and I'm probably not going to bail for the sake of £17, but I'd rather not be pushed any higher!

I conclude from this that Tom must come along (agreed?). Beyond that, though, do we need still more folk? Should the nets be thrown out on the other side of the boat, to see what we might drag up?

Cheers,

Ganhdi
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Taking it to the limit

Post by jdaw1 »

Ghandih wrote:Should the nets be thrown out on the other side of the boat, to see what we might drag up?
Where do you think you came from?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The £997 covers the 12 Fonseca Vintages, assuming Tom is still coming and happy to supply most of the bottles :roll:

Bottles 13 to 15 are Fonseca Guimaraens bottlings from lesser years. Not essential and, to be honest, probably not a good choice in the company of their generally more gifted siblings.

Keeping it simple - we need Tom's participation to put the Fonseca vertical together and more people are still welcome to join in.

Can we please have a show of hands (posts) from those who are still committed to attending. Anyone who is not committing because of the planned line-up and/or cost please shout (by PM if preferred) and things can change. The most important aspect of the evening is to ensure we have 6+ nutters in one place drinking Vintage Port 88)

In jdaw's absence I will raise hands for he and I. I think it's also safe to assume Conky will join in as jdaw and I will be drinking this stuff on his patio. So we have 3 confirmed. More confirmations, please?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Derek T. wrote:I think now that jdaw has gone to the trouble of booking flights it would be good if others would confirm attendance so that we can make some firm plans for wine, glasses and beds.

I think the current list is as follows:
  • Corky - definitely
  • jdaw - definitely
  • KillerB - definitely
  • Uncle Tom - definitely maybe
  • Jay P. - maybe
  • AHB - probably not but maybe
  • The Roots - would rather be drinking German beer :?
Please confirm or update your status ASAP. Anyone not on the list remains more than welcome to join us.

Derek
The lineup looks great, the people fantastic, but I think I will need to miss this one due to work. Please toast me (and with the 27, not the 2000!) and enjoy what looks likely to be a night to remember!

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

If AHB had of made it, I would have suggested the appropriate dress code would have been...

But it's £30 a shirt, and he's not, so moving on...