Tuesday 7th September - Dow Vertical at TCP

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Tuesday 7th September - Dow Vertical at TCP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The revised placemats look good to me. Thanks for doing them.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

It might be important for attendees to know that there is a proposed strike on the Tube on Monday evening and all day Tuesday. I wonder if the the two events are somehow related... :wink:
Mark
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I hadn't picked up on the strike dates, so thanks for the head's up. Anyone travelling into London from the South can use the overground line that connects Cannon Street to London Brigde to Waterloo East to Charing Cross - and Charing Cross is only a 5 minute walk from Covent Garden.

angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Yes, Charing X is not far away. LUL are saying they will try to operate as much as they can. Taxis and omnibus services will obviously be in more demand and slow moving with the extra traffic.

Feeling adventurous? (and particularly so after drinking all that port), you could hire one the Blue Boris Barclays Billboard Bicycles.
Mark
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Are the Boris bikes fitted with lights? I have to get from Covent Garden to Marylebone after our offline and a bike might be an interesting option...

angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

The bikes have dynamo driven LEDs, though you'll need to register with TFL and get a 'key' I think, as they haven't implemented pay as you go yet. There's a good chance the bikes could be anywhere - as it currently stands they are having some trouble keeping them evenly distributed at docking stations!
Mark
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Boris bikes will be in demand on the day of a strike. Rely on walking.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=37425#p37425]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Changes to placemat software:
  • Added WaterCountsOverrideShowEverySheet (a parameter simplification for DRT).
  • Changed default value of SameSizeTitlesIfAllOf (you probably don’t care).
  • Fixed bug on pre-pour pages:
    [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=37212#p37212]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Not using Adobe Distiller revealed a very small bug in code, and the following is a note to self.

Code: Select all

false false PaperType Orientation SetPaperSize  % Perhaps page dimensions accessed by CrossHatchingTitles or CrossHatchingSubtitles
    				TitleSubtitleForms SheetNum get WithinPage get  VariesByNameTitlesSubtitlesOrnamentsDecanterLabels {dup /PaintProc get exec} {execform} ifelse
    				false false PrePourPaperType PrePourOrientation SetPaperSize
    [/size]
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Boris bikes will be in demand on the day of a strike. Rely on walking.
Not to mention that Boris Biking after a sufficiency of Dow VP is unlikely to be the safest way to cross central London.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

I agree with Derek. No biking after the Dow vertical. In addition if you are nicked you may get points on your licence and may get an extra invitation to do extensive walking for a month or three. At least in Germany you would.
I will tell you the story when I tried to enter a Autobahn with a bike after a Student party tomorrow :lol: :wink:
Of course I was completly sober! :mrgreen:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

WS1 wrote:I agree with Derek. No biking after the Dow vertical. In addition if you are nicked you may get points on your licence and may get an extra invitation to do extensive walking for a month or three. At least in Germany you would.
I will tell you the story when I tried to enter a Autobahn with a bike after a Student party tomorrow :lol: :wink:
You'll be pleased to know that the law in England is much more in favour of post-tasting cycling expedition...points and forced walking are pretty unlikely and the police are unable to breathalyse you so as long as you can cycle in a straight line you should be ok...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Vertical of Dow, and two bottles of Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira, on Tuesday 7th September 2010, at The Crusting Pipe.

Links:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:
WS1 wrote:I agree with Derek. No biking after the Dow vertical. In addition if you are nicked you may get points on your licence and may get an extra invitation to do extensive walking for a month or three. At least in Germany you would.
You'll be pleased to know that the law in England is much more in favour of post-tasting cycling expedition...points and forced walking are pretty unlikely and the police are unable to breathalyse you so as long as you can cycle in a straight line you should be ok...
I'm sure there's an offence of being drunk in charge of a bicycle, but that may have been something that disappeared some years ago.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Team,

I have made a number of unilateral decisions with regard to tomorrow's offline, which I hope will be acceptable to all. These are:

1) Axel is unable to attend due to illness. He has still offered to pay for the bottle of 1980 if we wish to continue to include it in the line-up. I have accepted his generous offer on behalf of everyone.

2) Axel has asked if we would send him samples of the wines tasted tomorrow night. Given his generosity with providing the 1980, it would be ungenerous to refuse, so I have again accepted on behalf of everyone but would look to share the cost of this between us (which would be about £1.50 per person).

3) Axel not being able to attend has meant that we will not be able to taste the Senhora da Ribeira 2008 cask sample. Given the absence of this port, it makes sense to me to also leave out the 2006 Senhora da Ribeira. I have unilaterally decided to ask Jacob not to bring this wine with him tomorrow.

4) Julian has kindly provided a bottle of the elusive Dow 1966 for us to taste tomorrow, despite his not being able to attend. I have agreed to pay Julian the cost of this bottle, which I would like to share between the people attending the offline. (This will be about another £8.50 per person.)

We should be able to eat off the evening discount menu tomorrow night, which would mean that the cost per head for everything other than port (food, water, share of costs, room, service, glasses etc) will be about £50-60. Those adopting bottles, please also bring with you the agreed cost of the bottle for passing to Tom or me.

Any last minute questions or alternative proposals, please post them here or PM me.

I have printed the tasting mats, which do not reflect Axel's absence, and will bring these with me.

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:I have printed the tasting mats, which do not reflect Axel's absence, and will bring these with me.
You could have first requested that the ’06 and ’08 be removed.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Alex,

Your decisions seem very fair and I am happy with all you propose. Best wishes to Axel - I sympathise having had to spend today at home with an unwell 2 year old!

Ben
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

AHB wrote:
JacobH wrote:
I'm sure there's an offence of being drunk in charge of a bicycle, but that may have been something that disappeared some years ago.
Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Is ‟provides” a legal term of art? It seems so much more generous than ‟specifies”, and even more so than a rewording using ‟forbids”.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Is ‟provides” a legal term of art? It seems so much more generous than ‟specifies”, and even more so than a rewording using ‟forbids”.
It’s not particularly a term of art, just a stylistic convention. You also see it in case-law; courts and judges are often said to ‟hold” on something rather than rule (or decide or judge &c.).
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Looking at some of the traffic this morning, it looked pretty tricky to ride on the road at all! Some of the tube is running, I believe the Northern is as per normal. It may be worth venturing into a station to check before resorting to other means.
Mark
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Gents,

I am *terribly* sorry to say that the tube strike combined with an unexpected client issue is causing a great deal of frustration over here at the moment and it appears quite unlikely I'll be able to make it out in time for tonight's activities :(

I will update you all in a few hours when I have a bit better visibility into my evening, but for now I think it is best to expect that I won't be able to join. Quite a pity, as it is a monster line-up and it feels like it has been quite a while since I've seen you all.

Apologies
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Alex,

please let me pay for all additional costs combined with shipping and handling of the samples.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com