Wasn't there a potential one coming in July 2007?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well Big Fella, I hope Jdaw1 isn't blubbering emotionally at that gesture, like what I am! (I know thats incorrect grammer)

Git! :roll:

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A pity you won't be able to be there Alan, but I quite understand the restraints.

Looks like we're in for a pretty line-up, good! I think we will not reveal what we are bringing, for two reasons:
1. blind tasting is fun
2. we still don't have a clue what to bring

Alex: I'm very much looking forward to the Cruz Education! (I never should have admitted that I never tasted the stuff... :roll: )
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Christopher Gee has also said that he can make the 18th of July. His plan is to bring a port and a bottle of Quinta de Macedos 2000 as his table wine.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

If it’s being done blind, these placemats might help.

Post by jdaw1 »

If it’s being done blind, these placemats might help.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=532#532]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:For those who like their port tastings blind, some standard pages have been produced in various page sizes:Each of these (large) files contains pages for numbers of glasses from 2 upwards, with pages unnamed and with names from “First Flight† to “Sixth Flight†.

So, if one is arranging a tasting for eight people, the first flight of 10 glasses and the second of 11, one would print, from the file or files†  of appropriate paper size:
  • Eight copies of the 10-glass placemat entitled “First Flight†;
  • Eight copies of the 10-glass tasting-note page entitled “First Flight†;
  • One copy of the 10-glass page of decanter labels;
  • Eight copies of the 11-glass placemat entitled “Second Flight†;
  • Eight copies of the 11-glass tasting-note page entitled “Second Flight†;
  • One copy of the 11-glass page of decanter labels.
Please let me know whether this is useful.

†  those with A3 printers can print the placemats onto A3, but would probably want to print the tasting-note pages onto A4.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It looks like I will be in London on the nights of 17, 18 and 19 of July. 18th still suits me best for the offline but I could probably be persuaded to share a glass or two of port on either of the other 2 nights if anyone is around.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Transport question:

I will probably be traveling to London on the morning of 17th July, 36 hours before the commencement of the offline. As I see it I have 2 options for decanting:

1. Decant early morning on 17th July and hope the wine holds together for 36 hrs or

2. Carry the bottles (like you would carry Nitroglycerene) to London by car/train/taxi, stand up for 12 hours and decant on the morning of the 18th, 12 hours before the Offline.

Advice please..........

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Line-up Question:

Is this a blind tasting or a partially-sighted tasting?

So far only the Roots have indicated that they will be bringing mystery wines. Others, including me, have declared what is on their possibles list. Can those who are attending please declare whether or not they wish to go blind. If that is the concensus then those of us who have already declared can re-plan (or not) and jdaw can produce a suitable TM, provided we give him a reasonably accurate number of bottles.

Also, has anyone invited Ian yet so that we can get the table in a tunnel?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I propose to taste blind (or myopically, at the very worst) only because my cellar is still in a mess and I have no idea whether I will be able to find the wines that I said I would bring.

Plus its always fun deciding on your wine of the night and then finding out its the Cruz Grand Reserve that you've just selected ahead of the Nacional 1963.

So my vote would be to taste blind, with each person just declaring the number of bottles that they intend to bring so that the place mats can show them as Derek 1, Derek 2, Alex 1, Alex 2 etc.

I'm not sure whether KillerB has spoken with Ian, I certainly haven't.

On the decanting question, my advice would be to carry the wines to London as carefully as you can and then stand them upright for 12 hours. My recent experience was that this worked surprisingly well for a bottle of Morgan 1945 and it decanted up in a perfectly decent way.

And, finally, much as I would be delighted to provide some company to you over a glass or two of port on the evenings of July 17 or 19, it looks as though I will be either out of the country or committed to watching one of the children in a play or concert. Perhaps next time.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I haven't spoken to Ian but will give him a call tomorrow, unless Alex wants to instead. 18th is fine by me.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have now confirmed my arrangements for next week and will be there. What time are we starting? Are we having a meal?

I will be bringing the following wines:

Derek 1
Derek 2

88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I will be bring the following wines:

Niepoort 77
Something red
Possibly something else
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Good, the 18th it is!

We will be bringing the following:

1. Something with more or less 20% alcohol and notable residual sugar.
2. Something white
3. Something red
This is the collective Roots input.

A meal sounds good to me. We may just be available for a drink the 19th as well.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As this is now coming together I have posted a new thread here with a note of the arrangements so far.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn