The London Olympiad Vertical - 1948 - 2012

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: The London Olympiad Vertical - 1948 - 2012

Post by RAYC »

I would argue against d :crying: r :tpf: awing lots for years - I am not sure I would want to provide 2xG48 or Nacional 64 by myself...

It would be useful to get a vague idea on costs - a 2x16 vintage vertical that includes duplicate G48, Ni56, NN64 and T92 supported by 13 paying TPF members (if we go for an 18 limit) might end up quite expensive. In terms of room/food/glass arrangements, would we be paying for this or is it just the wines that need to be purchased?
Rob C.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I thought that may invoke a reaction..which is good because that was the intention...the cost is for wine only as the Ambassador is kindly providing food etc..we will, however, need to provide glasses as they would not have anywhere near the number required.
Once we have decided on the wines I think we should divide the cost equally between TPF members but limit the cost to £200 each...thus compensating those providing the '48's and '56's and allowing a good quality of later years.

The first thing though is to decide on the wines...we can put a firm cost on the evening when this is known.

I am still waiting to hear from the Ambassador as to whether he has anything to contribute...my bet is that he has.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

This is an event at which TPF costs should be shared. The required bottles will be of very different costs, so expecting somebody to adopt a year would be unfair.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Cookie wrote:I know we are capable of hosting a tasting of up tp to 24 because we did that at the RAF Club for the Malvedos tatsing.
No, we didn't. I decanted every bottle of Port for the Malvedos tasting and can confirm that there was only one bottle of each vintage, and the Organisation Thread shows 14 attendees.

As far as I can recall, we have never had more than 14 glasses of each wine at a tasting. We have not been inundated with applications to join recent large tastings and have invariably been scrambling around in the few days before the event trying to fill vacant seats. Are we perhaps being too ambitious here?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If we have to fill 20ish seats, then 15 are paying for 20, so 1⅓ each. If we restrict to the usual 14 seats, thereby avoiding double-bottles, then 9 will be paying for 14, so 1.555 each, a factor of 1â…™ times more. That’s tolerable.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Agreed and therefore guest list amended....reserve list based on order of request.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
Cookie wrote:I know we are capable of hosting a tasting of up tp to 24 because we did that at the RAF Club for the Malvedos tatsing.
No, we didn't. I decanted every bottle of Port for the Malvedos tasting and can confirm that there was only one bottle of each vintage, and the Organisation Thread shows 14 attendees.

As far as I can recall, we have never had more than 14 glasses of each wine at a tasting. We have not been inundated with applications to join recent large tastings and have invariably been scrambling around in the few days before the event trying to fill vacant seats. Are we perhaps being too ambitious here?
We already have 13 paying people who have registered interest (assuming Oscar is a 6th guest). If all were ready to commit, does that make the 2-bottle line-up work?

To reduce that to 8 seems to be a bit of a departure from the spirit of how TPF events are organised on the board, though I understand if it has to happen.

On the money side, 200 per paying person gives us a working budget of 1600gbp. Glass-hire, if we go that route, will be 250-300. Does that leave the fighting funds we need if we are starting to talk about 60s nationals and 40s grahams?

I've no doubt that this will be a great event and the details will work itself out, and am very keen if there's a space for me.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:We already have 13 paying people who have registered interest (assuming Oscar is a 6th guest). If all were ready to commit, does that make the 2-bottle line-up work?

To reduce that to 8 seems to be a bit of a departure from the spirit of how TPF events are organised on the board, though I understand if it has to happen.
I didn't check the first post before suggesting limiting to 14. If the 13 TPF attendees are willing to commit now then this might work. But, as this is a fixed line-up, and in order for it to be safe for the organiser to proceed to buy these wines, I would suggest that the 13 should commit on the basis of coughing up £200 by 28 Feb to put the organiser in funds. If anyone pulls out they would lose their £200 unless they find someone to take their seat. A settling-up against real cost can happen neared the time.

Does that sound fair?
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:We already have 13 paying people who have registered interest (assuming Oscar is a 6th guest). If all were ready to commit, does that make the 2-bottle line-up work?

I didn't check the first post before suggesting limiting to 14. If the 13 TPF attendees are willing to commit now then this might work. But, as this is a fixed line-up, and in order for it to be safe for the organiser to proceed to buy these wines, I would suggest that the 13 should commit on the basis of coughing up £200 by 28 Feb to put the organiser in funds. If anyone pulls out they would lose their £200 unless they find someone to take their seat. A settling-up against real cost can happen neared the time.

Does that sound fair?
I think this is a very fair way to proceed. I would be happy to pay up sooner than that if it helps.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I am willing to pay sooner. Or, if the list needs to be shrunk, I could stand aside. Me = Mr Flexible.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've been doing some thinking about this event - the first thing I realised is that I am going to have to drop out as I will not be in the UK on 25th July :cry: Please remove me from the list of attendees.

Secondly in terms of the practicalities of the event. Have you seen the room? Is it really big enough to accommodate 24 people for a sit down tasting? Will there be space for glasses and tasting notes and food or is the 24 person limit based on a normal sit-down dinner and the space required for everyone to eat in comfort?

Does the room have air conditioning? If it is a really hot day in July, can the room and the ports be kept cool? Or are lots of ice and ice buckets easy to procure?

The cost could be underestimated. My experience is that if we supply ports for a tasting from our personal cellars then we usually beat Wine Searcher prices by about 20%. Wine searcher has a line up similar to the one suggested by Tom priced at £2,750 for the 16 bottles. Take off the 20% and add on glass hire and you get an cost estimate of £2,500. If this is a one bottle tasting with 6 guests and 8 TPF paying attendees then this works out to be £312.50 per TPF member. Fill the table with 24 attendees, of which 18 are TPF paying members and have two bottles of each wine and the cost works out to be about £280 per TPF member.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I would be happy to pay up front if there is a place for me once numbers/cost discussions are resolved.
One thought on numbers; Since this is a port-tasting event I guess the likely answer is "yes", but has it been confirmed that the Ambassador and all four of his guests will be wanting port? It would be a shame to drop a TPF port spot if any of the Ambassador's guests are non-port-drinking partners, for example.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:The cost could be underestimated. My experience is that if we supply ports for a tasting from our personal cellars then we usually beat Wine Searcher prices by about 20%. Wine searcher has a line up similar to the one suggested by Tom priced at £2,750 for the 16 bottles. Take off the 20% and add on glass hire and you get an cost estimate of £2,500. If this is a one bottle tasting with 6 guests and 8 TPF paying attendees then this works out to be £312.50 per TPF member. Fill the table with 24 attendees, of which 18 are TPF paying members and have two bottles of each wine and the cost works out to be about £280 per TPF member.
AHB is normally quite accurate in his estimations for such events. If this is indeed going to cost in the region of £300 per head I am sorry to say that it is not for me as most of these wines are likely to be curiosities. If others are more keen that I am them please drop me down to a possible attendees and allow someone lower down the list to take my place.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:The cost could be underestimated. My experience is that if we supply ports for a tasting from our personal cellars then we usually beat Wine Searcher prices by about 20%. Wine searcher has a line up similar to the one suggested by Tom priced at £2,750 for the 16 bottles. Take off the 20% and add on glass hire and you get an cost estimate of £2,500. If this is a one bottle tasting with 6 guests and 8 TPF paying attendees then this works out to be £312.50 per TPF member. Fill the table with 24 attendees, of which 18 are TPF paying members and have two bottles of each wine and the cost works out to be about £280 per TPF member.
AHB is normally quite accurate in his estimations for such events. If this is indeed going to cost in the region of £300 per head I am sorry to say that it is not for me as most of these wines are likely to be curiosities. If others are more keen that I am them please drop me down to a possible attendees and allow someone lower down the list to take my place.
Whilst I agree Alex is usually correct in his estimation of cost, I am assured that there will be a 'considerable' contribution by our host and his guests...once I know the full details I will then be able to advise on actual cost nearer the time...meanwhile attendees remain as posted.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Cookie,

after reading this thread I think whatever happens we likely have still too many people being interested to attend (limit to 14people=9TPF+5embassy). After having a careful look into the calendar I realised that there is quite a high likelihood that I will not be able to make this tasting, I decided to pull out :( . Especially due to the fact that comittment is needed now I think this is only fair.

cu Monday

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

I would be needing some time in advance. I guess Andy, too, since we need to book flights and they do not seem to get cheaper getting closer to the date.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I do not want to dump the organiser in difficulty. But it seems to me that expense will exceed pleasure. If I can run away without causing a problem, I would do so.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I'm only on the reserve list, I most likely will not be able to get over there for this. You can remove my name from the list, so as not to cause any issues with others wanting to wait for an open seat.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Speaking to Ray last night, I would urge people not to take my note above too seriously. Ray has a cunning plan that should deliver this tasting closer to his cost estimate than to mine. Please be patient and see what happens.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I appreciate there are still issues to resolve; if it is possible to provide an update the planned attendance on whether people are/aren't dropping out and number of spaces determined that would be appreciated, so I can sort accommodation as early as possible if needed (this would be much harder/more expensive nearer the time given the olympics!) - I almost booked last week given the sign-offs, but given Alex's last post I held off for now.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I have made an executive decision regarding this tasting in that....I will increase the attendees list to 16...this will mean that we will have 1 bottle per person, a formula we have used successfully in the past.

I am striving to keep the cost of this tasting down to a bare minimum and I believe this can be achieved by the generous contributions expected over the coming months. This along with the Ambassadors contribution of dinner and Oscar arranging the glasses through the IVDP, I believe this tasting is achievable for all those originally interested.

I have amended the attendee list to reflect this decision and kept in those who have expressed concern over cost in the hope that the tasting will fall within budget for everyone.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cookie wrote:1. His Excellency Dr Joao de Vallera
Don’t rob our host of his accent: ‟His Excellency Dr João de Vallera”.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
Cookie wrote:1. His Excellency Dr Joao de Vallera
Don’t rob our host of his accent: ‟His Excellency Dr João de Vallera”.
I can see the squiggly line for such occasions but I have no idea on how to get it on top of the 'a'...perhaps you could enlighten me please.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Copy-paste. Perhaps from the page www.jdawiseman.com/cp.html.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I've been chewing this one, and aside from a heartfelt plea to the trade to find something - anything..! - from '56, I think it's do-able without breaking the bank..

Possible line- up:

2008 - Quevedo - need to source, but readily available, cost for 2 btls c.£40

2004 - Noval - need to source - cost maybe £70 (2btls)

2000 - Delaforce - can supply @ £50/2

1996 - Vesuvio - can supply @ £35/2

1992 - Eira velha - can supply @ £35/2

1998 - Fonseca Guimaraens - can supply @ £25/2

1984 - Warre Cavadinha - can supply @ £30/2

1980 - Dow - can supply @ £70/2

1976 - Graham Malvedos - have one bottle only - anticipated cost for 2 c. £80

1972 - Have Dow, but good slot for Sandeman - anyone have stock?

1968 - Niepoort colheita - can supply @ £110/2

1964 - Have Nacional, but good slot for Taylor Vargellas - anyone have stock?

1960 - Croft - can supply @ £120/2

1956 - Problem!!

1952 - Niepoort colheita - can supply @ £130/2

1948 - Martinez - Can supply @ £190/2btls

..before I send a begging missive to the trade for a '56 of some description - any other thoughts??
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill