The London Olympiad Vertical - 1948 - 2012

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: The London Olympiad Vertical - 1948 - 2012

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:We are probably looking at a two bottle event here.
That edges away from ‘tasting’ and towards ‘party’.

Is there a date?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:We are probably looking at a two bottle event here.
No matter how many times I read that sentence I keep hearing the word "Magnum" in my head :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I keep hearing the word "Magnum" in my head
1. The voices of any respectable gentleman would keep saying ‟Imperial”.

2. Magnums of Rs88, WC84, FG76, O72, TV68, NN64, G48? Cool: well found.

3. Imperials of Rs88, WC84, FG76, O72, TV68, NN64, G48? Cool: very well found.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I am extremely happy to report that the date and venue for this event has now been confirmed with the help of our good friend Oscar Quevedo....thanks Oscar....I am sure this will be a very memorable occasion.

I think it is worth an early mention that there is a very small chance that we may have to rearrange the date if by chance there is a governmental meeting or other unmoveable event at the embassy on this date....we are assured that this will be avoided if at all possible but you never know and we should have plenty of notice if this becomes the case....388 days and counting :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cookie wrote:I am extremely happy to report that the date and venue for this event has now been confirmed
We know the venue. What is the date?

Edit: seen in first post.
Cookie wrote:Date now confirmed 25th July 2012.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A draft of the placemats.
  • Please check that these are the correct ports.
  • Please check that ‟H.E. Dr João de Vallera” is correctly titled, within the space limits of the medium.
Until about a month before the tasting, updates to this file will not be accompanied by a new post in this thread.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Cookie wrote:Date now confirmed 25th July 2012.
I think this is also the first day of Olympic competition - the football starts before the opening ceremony. What chance a game involving Portugal v GB that night?
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Would it be too much of an ask to include the names of the past host cities and their national flags on the placemats?

- Full colour printing on photographic paper perhaps..?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You haven’t looked carefully, have you. The cities are already there.

Colour flags? Is there room? And I dislike colour on placemats: I don't want red/green/blue interfering with my perception of the hue of the liquid.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I don’t have all the flags to hand in appropriate format, but some have been added as an experiment. Please comment. To me there are two problems:
1. Too cluttered.
2. Do we really want our Port tasting in the Portuguese embassy to feature lots of flags, none of which are Portuguese?

Please agree that the flags can be deleted.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Having taken a look at the draft placemats, I tend to agree that the flags make the sheet look quite busy. My personal preference would to leave them off the glasses sheet but - perhaps - include them as a watermark on the tasting note sheet.

I don't see the references to the host cities on the glasses sheet. Where have you hidden them?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Where have you hidden them?
In plain sight.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Where have you hidden them?
In plain sight.
Found it - I really like this design
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:but - perhaps - include them as a watermark on the tasting note sheet.
Different flags have different width:height ratios, including 2:1, 19:10, 5:3, 18:11, 3:2, and 10:7. So if each flag is left-aligned and the height of that Port’s TN rows, the most obvious features would be the non-consistent lengths. But if the lengths are consistent, the variations in heights would be obvious. They could be arranged diagonally across the page, evenly horizontally spaced, but I don’t like that either.

Other opinions? Tom requested flags, so perhaps he could comment?

Separately, as a result of this task I have noticed that in the official specification of the Australian flag the drawing is inconsistent with the marked measurements. It’s as bad as a port shipper not knowing whether it produced 1844.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Considering the inclusion of flags, it’s a good thing that the you decided to stop at 1948 and didn’t try going back to the first London Olympics, or even the games before 1948... :shock:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Considering the inclusion of flags, it’s a good thing that the you decided to stop at 1948 and didn’t try going back to the first London Olympics, or even the games before 1948... :shock:
Are you suggesting that it is easy to find a vector description of the flags of Canada and the USSR? (Mexico and Spain are forfeiting their heraldry.)
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote:Considering the inclusion of flags, it’s a good thing that the you decided to stop at 1948 and didn’t try going back to the first London Olympics, or even the games before 1948... :shock:
Are you suggesting that it is easy to find a vector description of the flags of Canada and the USSR? (Mexico and Spain are forfeiting their heraldry.)
Oh, no, just that the historically-accurate flag of the host of the 1936 Olympics is not one that is particularly acceptable today...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Please agree that the flags can be deleted.
Agreed.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Would there be any chance to attend or be placed on the reserves for this event?

Thanks

Carl
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:[Separately, as a result of this task I have noticed that in the official specification of the Australian flag the drawing is inconsistent with the marked measurements. It’s as bad as a port shipper not knowing whether it produced 1844.
jdaw1, to the appropriate Australian authorities, wrote:I wish to draw, accurately, the Australian flag. To be accurate I am working from the specification at
www.itsanhonour.gov.au/publications/sym ... l_flag.pdf

That says that the centre of Gamma Crucis is 1/6 of the fly below the top, and that the centre of Alpha Crucis is 1/6 of the fly above the bottom. Yet in that PDF the distances of those centres to the nearest edges are not equal, Alpha Crucis being closer. Indeed, the bottom of the blue of the Cross of St. Andrew should be below the top of the flag by one third of the hoist of the Union Jack, so one sixth the height of the whole flag. But extensions of those St Andrew lines do not go through the marked centre of Gamma Crucis, and Alpha Crucis is a different distance again.

So at least one of the following is true.
• The words are correct, the drawing is wrong;
• The words are wrong, the drawing is correct;
• I have mis-understood.

Please, which? Please, what is correct?
A representative of those Australian authorities wrote:We have found that there is some distortion of the flag elements in the pdf file so please go by the words.

Regards

Webmaster
Whoops! How very embarrassing.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

At the risk of being 'Mr Reserve' at the moment (Oct, Dec) could I be added as a reserve for this also, in case (unlikely though it may be) a place becomes available?

Thanks,

PhilW.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

For those asking to be placed on the reserve list, your request is duly noted, however, I do know that the venue can accomodate 24 but I do not know if the Ambassador has any other dignitaries or sports officianados that he would like to attend.

Enquiries are being made at this time and I will update the attendees list as and when I have an answer.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Cookie wrote:For those asking to be placed on the reserve list, your request is duly noted, however, I do know that the venue can accomodate 24 but I do not know if the Ambassador has any other dignitaries or sports officianados that he would like to attend.

Enquiries are being made at this time and I will update the attendees list as and when I have an answer.
Thanks!
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Hi Guys...now it is 2012 I thought I would bring this subject back to the top of the list.

I will start to finalise details with Oscar when I meet with him in Porto in February. He is acting as our liason with the Ambassador and I will get him to confirm the number of places available for the tatsing at The Embassy.

With regards to the wine, it appears most of the years we need are available except 1956 which I shall try to source when I am in Porto. I have appointments with Ramos Pinto, Sandemans and Andressen, so perhaps one of these shippers would be kind enough to help us in our quest.

Once the number of places available has been set I will update/open the guest list again. Meanwhile it may be a good idea to start to put together the wines available from those on the list so far.

I will advise on progress as we move this forward.

Thank you.

Ray
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

The planning for this tatsing is moving forward very niceley so please be advised that it has been confirmed that we can accomodate 24 people at the Embassy and The Ambassador has aked for 5 places to be reserved for him and his guests.

This means there is a maximum of 19 places for TPF members and guests. I would take advice on whether 24 is too many and maybe we should cap the number at 18...either way it still means 2 bottles of wine from each year....I know we are capable of hosting a tasting of up tp to 24 because we did that at the RAF Club for the Malvedos tatsing. Shall we go for 24 or cap it at 18...the choice is yours.

I will now open the gust list again and add those who previously expressed an interest.

Perhaps it would be quite good fun if we did a draw for who brings which year...all names go into one hat and all years into another...draw masters decision is final...thoughts please.

I will update further as we move forward but meanwhile can we start thinking of the wine list please.