15 December 2011 - The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Deleted_User_1

Re: 15 December 2011 - The Unknown Shipper at the Bell?

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

RAYC wrote:Are people booking the same hotel as last year?
I do not know which hotel is being booked but I do know that I shall be FIRST into the taxi this year!!! :wink:
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I would like to rephrase the very often used sentence into: We leave no-one behind, except ex-RAF-policemen, who should know their way around anyways... :D

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Axel P wrote:I would like to rephrase the very often used sentence into: We leave no-one behind, except ex-RAF-policemen, who should know their way around anyways... :D

Axel
You can wriggle as much as you like but it is still no excuse...the bit.... ''we leave no-one behind''... is the clue :lol: :lol:
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Accepted! So this year we should leave no bottle behind, how about this?
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just booked into the Saffron Hotel.

Nearer the time we should count the number of people who need to get back by taxi and whether that is back to the Saffron Hotel or to Newport. It could be that we end up booking two separate taxis to the two separate destinations.

Or perhaps we have Jan drive the naughty taxi, so that she can shout at and scold the people in the naughty taxi and someone nice driving the other taxi. Someone who will go back to pick up anyone left behind!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

First draft of the placemats.
  • Twenty-six ports between the ten attendees (is that enough?);
  • Tasting-note sheets, but no glasses sheets;
  • Two sets of sticky-label sheets:
    • Large bottle labels, two of each (for front and back), eight per sheet, and
    • Small glass labels, sixty-five per sheet, arranged by person for easy cutting and distribution.
Will decanter labels be needed?

Other comment welcomed.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi - I've decided I should sign myself off for this one; as third reserve I'm very unlikely to be needed, and getting rooms at the last minute likely impossible, plus will simplify any other pre-xmas arrangements.

Phil.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Another moment of panic as a date clash was threatened between this and my chance to see Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Steel Panther at Wembley Arena. Thankfully i will be able to enjoy permed mullets/lycra and unknown shipper port on consecutive evenings.
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you talk to us nicely, you can do both on both evenings.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just updated the list of the attendees on the first post - my guest (who is not from the industry, but is a fellow port lover and consumer who happens to live close to the Bell) has confirmed that he is free on the 15th.

To try and make the arrangements for the Xmas Offline as smooth as possible, please would people:
(a) confirm that if they are on the list as attending, then they still intend to attend
(b) if they are on the list as attending and still intend to attend, whether they wish a taxi to collect them from the Bell and where they would like the taxi to take them
(c) whether they are attending or on the reserve list, if they would like a fillet steak and chips dinner, or something else

Thanks.

benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

AHB wrote:I've just updated the list of the attendees on the first post - my guest (who is not from the industry, but is a fellow port lover and consumer who happens to live close to the Bell) has confirmed that he is free on the 15th.

To try and make the arrangements for the Xmas Offline as smooth as possible, please would people:
(a) confirm that if they are on the list as attending, then they still intend to attend
(b) if they are on the list as attending and still intend to attend, whether they wish a taxi to collect them from the Bell and where they would like the taxi to take them
(c) whether they are attending or on the reserve list, if they would like a fillet steak and chips dinner, or something else

Thanks.
Alex,

a) yes.
b) yes - Saffron Hotel
c) is there anything else on the menu?! I thought steak & chips was part of the deal in attending!

Thank you.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 15 December 2011 - The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Post by DRT »

a) Yes
b) Yes please, to the Saffron Hotel
c) Fillet steak & chips, please

:D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

a) Yes
b) Yes please, to the Saffron Hotel which I just booked

:D

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

a) Yes
b) Yes please, to the Saffron Hotel which I just booked

Thanks for organising

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote: (c) whether they are attending or on the reserve list, if they would like a fillet steak and chips dinner, or something else.
Am on the reserve list (though did post to sign off it). If by some miracle (a) enough people dropped out, (b) I was able to make the date and (c) able to book a room somewhere, then fillet steak and chips would do nicely.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

AHB wrote:To try and make the arrangements for the Xmas Offline as smooth as possible, please would people:
(a) Yes
(b) Yes - Saffron Hotel (twin room booked some time ago, initially so that the spare bid would give some flexibility to Jacob if he moved to the main list but would be equally available to others on the reserve list or - if all confirm - on the main list )
(c) fillet? Since you're offering us a choice, what about a porterhouse?!
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:First draft of the placemats.
Many thanks - i can volunteer printing services. And have bucket loads of the small sticky-label sheets, which have not been used since the tasting last year!
jdaw1 wrote:Twenty-six ports between the ten attendees (is that enough?);
Too many? I am bringing an unknown and a peculiar on the basis that neither may be drinkable, but i would have thought max 20 overall?
jdaw1 wrote:Two sets of sticky-label sheets:
Large bottle labels, two of each (for front and back), eight per sheet, and
Last year Tom provided decanters with 10 decanter neck tags numbered 1-10 (or thereabouts). If the same is to be done this year, we might only need sticky labels for ports 11 onward. Are two labels per bottle desireable?

jdaw1 wrote:Other comment welcomed.
WOTN currenlty split over two pages - is this felt to be easier to use?
Should there be categories? (best peculiar, best unknown)
Should the numbering on the small glass labels be restricted to the shaded background number only, allowing us to write clearly the identity of the port onto the label after the big reveal?
Despite being the cork display's biggest fan, i do wonder whether it will work in this type of set-up (though happy to keep and try to make work!)
Can we have small christmas trees or holly bushels in the corners of or background to the sticky labels? Or at least a star of Bethlehem...(butchered from the star quality tasting know-how)?!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:
Too many? I am bringing an unknown and a peculiar on the basis that neither may be drinkable, but i would have thought max 20 overall?
DRT to adjudicate.
RAYC wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Two sets of sticky-label sheets:
Large bottle labels, two of each (for front and back), eight per sheet, and
Last year Tom provided decanters with 10 decanter neck tags numbered 1-10 (or thereabouts). If the same is to be done this year, we might only need sticky labels for ports 11 onward. Are two labels per bottle desireable?
One back and one front helps. Rather than hollering ‟where is n?”, one has a greater chance of seeing it and gently asking somebody nearby.
RAYC wrote:WOTN currenlty split over two pages - is this felt to be easier to use?
I guessed so. If you disagree, easily changed.
RAYC wrote:Should there be categories? (best peculiar, best unknown)
Instruct.
RAYC wrote:Should the numbering on the small glass labels be restricted to the shaded background number only, allowing us to write clearly the identity of the port onto the label after the big reveal?
RAYC wrote:Can we have small christmas trees or holly bushels in the corners of or background to the sticky labels? Or at least a star of Bethlehem...(butchered from the star quality tasting know-how)?!
You want to remove content to add writing space, and then to replace the writing space with clutter. :?: Anyway, writing on the foot of the glass will probably be too fiddly. (And what does a ‟star of Bethlehem” look like?)
RAYC wrote:Despite being the cork display's biggest fan, i do wonder whether it will work in this type of set-up (though happy to keep and try to make work!)
Probably not. Failing contrary instruction, it will be removed.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:Should the numbering on the small glass labels be restricted to the shaded background number only, allowing us to write clearly the identity of the port onto the label after the big reveal?
RAYC wrote:Can we have small christmas trees or holly bushels in the corners of or background to the sticky labels? Or at least a star of Bethlehem...(butchered from the star quality tasting know-how)?!
You want to remove content to add writing space, and then to replace the writing space with clutter. :?: Anyway, writing on the foot of the glass will probably be too fiddly. (And what does a ‟star of Bethlehem” look like?)
The first suggestion was a genuine one - writing F66, T27 etc. on the foot of the glass was exactly what a number of us did last year to keep track of what we were writing. [EDIT: drinking, not writing! But already quoted below!]

The second suggestion was tongue in cheek. Maybe i should have added an emoticon to flag this!

Star of Bethlehem:

Last edited by RAYC on 12:13 Fri 25 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:writing F66, T27 etc. on the foot of the glass was exactly what a number of us did last year to keep track of what we were writing.
Not sure that I like entirely removing the words, but something can be done.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

As changes need to be made, please could there be an updated list of participants.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:
DRT to adjudicate.
As this is a "drinking" rather than a "tasting" I tend to agree with Rob that 20 might be considered to be enough. However, as always, the team will do there duty regardless of how many bottles turn up on the night.

Just to be clear in case we have any Xmas Bash virgins this year, the entry fee is 1 bottle of unknown or unusual Port (which doesn't necessarily have to be Port). If we get thirsty we can take the long walk to the bar, which is approximately 3 yards from the table.

:nirvana:
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

Axel and my bts are already with Tom, both fit the bill and all in all should be very interesting. However since I have a dentist appointment the next day in Woodbridge and with Seckfords I will avoid the "walking to the bar bit" despite tempting at one stage in the evening it may be. Secondly out of my experience these " in the beginning I thought this is a good idea" actions never held the excitement the next day. :roll: :(

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:the entry fee is 1 bottle of unknown or unusual Port (which doesn't necessarily have to be Port).
He might have meant ‟which doesn't necessarily have to be Vintage”, but one can’t be sure with DRT.

WS1 wrote:out of my experience these " in the beginning I thought this is a good idea" actions never held the excitement the next day.
Typically on the next day one realises that the dose was too small.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:the entry fee is 1 bottle of unknown or unusual Port (which doesn't necessarily have to be Port).
He might have meant ‟which doesn't necessarily have to be Vintage”, but one can’t be sure with DRT.
Non-vintage Port is certainly allowed and there have been many instances of such bottles appearing at The Bell. On previous occasions people have brought Madeira and bottles that were thought to be VP might have turned out to be something else. Whilst the central focus of the evening is indeed Vintage Port that is unusual or of unknown vintage or shipper, no one will be any less welcome if they decide to treat us to something else that fits with the general theme. So, if anyone turns up with an Amphora of Vino Romanica A.D. 0037 we are not going to be disappointed.
Ernest H. Cockburn