The Port Forum Christmas Offline

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

The Port Forum Christmas Offline

Post by DRT »

I am usually the last person who would want to organise a Christmas party but, given the problems finding convenient dates for some of our members, I think we should begin this process now.

All I will say at this point is that:
  • I am willing to travel and find reasonably priced accommodation
  • Friday's are bad for me
  • I would like it to be a blind tasting
Ideas please?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Re: The Port Forum Christmas Offline

Post by Frederick Blais »

Derek T. wrote::
  • I am willing to travel and find reasonably priced accommodation
Ideas please?

Derek
How about travelling to .... Canada 88) You'd probably only have to pay your plane ticket. Free breakfast with peanut butter toasts!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Not quite what I had in mind, Fred, but let's not rule anything out yet :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Wow !! peanut butter on toasts . . . what a Noval idea . . .
Derek , need I remind you that one never , I cannot over emphasis this point , one never adds peanut butter on toasts and VP . The addition of bread , being neutral in taste , will also act as a buffer to tannins of a young VP negating the effects of a youthful VP !!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Luc,

Why have you got a picture of a bloke sitting on the toilet, eating his fingers???

I wouldn't rule Canada out either. But I cant afford the big family Do, as well as my other jaunts. If we got a cheap ticket, and a few of us took the plunge, how quick could you do a turn around, without it being torture? Two nights, three? Then accomodation, plus Port. Could get too expensive, but worth giving a glance.

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Alan ,

That does paint an odd picture , doesn't It ?

Seat sales are a dime a dozen over here .
However , my favorite Lawyer has her heart set on Paris . She's a Taurus to boot !!
I've been working on convinçing her to give me the O.K. to buy a wine cellar were I could store approx. 70 bottles .
She hasn't said no ... Ya never know . :wink:
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Getting back on topic - I'm sure The Bell would welcome us back..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

OK, guys. The above post confirms that Tom is willing to travel a considerable distance to attend the Christmas Offline. I travelled this very route yesterday and can confirm that it is somewhere between 2 and 3 miles from Tom's house :lol: :lol: :lol: - please bear in mind that this also means that it is between 2 and 3 miles from Tom's cellar :wink:

Joking aside, The Bell did prove to be a very good venue for a similar event I attended with Tom last December. It would certainly do the trick for me if this turns out to be the venue again this year.

...but I'm not ruling out a Peanut Butter and Port night with Canadian Mounties standing in as dancing girls :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

to travel a considerable distance to attend the … Offline

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:to travel a considerable distance to attend the … Offline.
Me too!
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Derek T. wrote:OK, guys. The above post confirms that Tom is willing to travel a considerable distance to attend the Christmas Offline. I travelled this very route yesterday and can confirm that it is somewhere between 2 and 3 miles from Tom's house :lol: :lol: :lol: - please bear in mind that this also means that it is between 2 and 3 miles from Tom's cellar :wink:

Joking aside, The Bell did prove to be a very good venue for a similar event I attended with Tom last December. It would certainly do the trick for me if this turns out to be the venue again this year.

...but I'm not ruling out a Peanut Butter and Port night with Canadian Mounties standing in as dancing girls :P

Derek
I'll pass on the R.C.M.P. dancing girls :wink: IN la belle province It would be La Sureté du Québec :roll:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: to travel a considerable distance to attend the … Offlin

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:to travel a considerable distance to attend the … Offline.
Me too!
Is that a reference to Offline #2 or Offline #3 (Christmas 2007)?

Subject to you not being commited to the St Helens Mental Asylum for becoming overwhelmed with excitement at the Fonseca Vertical, or going insane at the use of non-Eff-Tee-Pee-Type picture upload technology, you would be most welcome to join or Pagan festival which happens to coincide with an annual celebration linked to a once popular religon.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Can't promise anything yet, but I must say that I'm definitely interested in such a Christmas event!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ronnie (and LadyR & Stevie),

The Bell is within close range of Stanstead and Luton airports. I could also pass East Midlands airport en route. I would be happy to collect and return you to the airport if it helps logistics.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Collecting people from Stansted is no problem for me, and my front room is available if anyone wants to bring a sleeping bag and borrow the sofa!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Please note: Tom's sofa is now fully booked :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm mildly interested since it looks like my travel plans for December will be European only. However, weekends are bad for me so I would only really have a chance of being able to make an offline in Cambridgeshire if it were Monday-Thursday night.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Now that the aftertaste of all those Fonseca's has faded I think it is about time we turned our attention to organising this.

Current suggestion on the table is a weekday evening at The Bell, Cambridgeshire. If this goes anything like last year it will be a semi private room with some good food, lots of interesting ports to drink and some great company.

Any other suggestions or anyone willing to notionally commit to this plan please chirp up here ASAP.

Thanks

Derek

PS: I have booked Tom's couch but am willing to spend the night in his cellar if that allows someone else to have the couch :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

We're still interested. It would be good to talk about dates rather sooner than later, because cheap flights tend to fill up quite soon around the christmas days. Any preferences?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I am easy about dates pre-Christmas - I can clear my diary for any day.

Suggest we work on a budget per capita, and I'll draw stock from my cellar accordingly. Last year's theme was (loosely) 'old and peculiar'

- Theme for this year?

- Budget?

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I can also be flexible on dates but would prefer not to do this on a Thursday night and then have to drive 400 miles to Edinburgh on the Friday :shock:

Can I suggest that the Roots look for some cheap flights and give us a date or dates that we can all work to?

Suggested Theme - The Unknown Shipper and his Unusual Friends

Suggested budget - let's not go nuts

My contribution will come in the form of Port rather than cash so happy to leave the numbers to others

Can we at least agree now that it's at The Bell? That way the Roots and others know where to fly to and Tom can secure the venue and tell them they need lots of big juicy steaks 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I'll second the notion of moderation on budget - somewhere in the £50 - £75 bracket perhaps (per capita) - that will allow for some sound old wine, plus a little indulgence, with a bottle or two of classed growths as a warm up..

Tom
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Maybe a dumb question, but which airport would be closest?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Stanstead is closest but I can also pass East Midlands and Luton en route and could pick you up from any of these 3 airports.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I would love to attend, and (possibly, but only just) could, but how about an alternative?

How about the lovely San Francisco Bay Area, USA for a venue? I live about 10 miles south of SF in the lovely city of Pacifica, with an ocean view and lots of Port. Not to be compared with Tom's cellar by anymeans, but I will volunteer any four bottles gratis. Mayhap Andy and David Spriggs could be convinced to attend and contribute as well.

Just think of it...winter in the North Pacific, 50 foot waves within walking distance, 4 surfboards, boogyboards, and a sea kayak in the garage for the brave, opera and fine dining in the city for those inclined. No spare bedrooms at my house, but the couch and living room floor are free, and ocean-front hotels within walking distance (downhill, of course)! 13 minute cab ride from SF International airport. Any takers?

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Now there's an offer!!! :shock:

After my Offline, Oporto Vacation, few port purchases, and Christmas with the kids looming, I may need to plant a money tree in the back garden... :cry: :oops: :cry:

If we can keep costs really down, I could definitely target Toms version. Just wish money didn't get in the way! :roll:

Alan