The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby benread » 19:49 Sun 21 Aug 2011

Derek,

At this level of notice any are fine with me! (I am sure that does not surprise you!)

Ben
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970!
User avatar
benread
Morgan 1991
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: 21:36 Thu 17 Apr 2008
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby DRT » 20:02 Sun 21 Aug 2011

benread wrote:At this level of notice any are fine with me! (I am sure that does not surprise you!)
Quite unsurprisingly, no, it doesn't :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby DRT » 21:44 Sun 21 Aug 2011

jdaw1 wrote:I couldn’t attend the Malvedos vertical, which was on 22 March 2010. Similar reasoning might prevent my attending a tasting on 22 March 2012.
22nd March now ruled out.

Proposed options are 27th and 29th March 2012.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby Andy Velebil » 04:14 Tue 23 Aug 2011

Given I'm flying 10+ hours each way, Thursday is probably best as then I could make it long weekend.
Andy Velebil
Fonseca 1980
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby DRT » 19:15 Tue 23 Aug 2011

Executive decision: The tasting will be held on Thursday 29th March 2012.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby jdaw1 » 19:47 Tue 23 Aug 2011

Theme?
User avatar
jdaw1
Graham’s 1948
 
Posts: 14944
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 19:58 Tue 23 Aug 2011

jdaw1 wrote:Theme?
I have made two Exec Decisions already. Are you asking me to make another one?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby AHB » 20:01 Tue 23 Aug 2011

DRT wrote:The following note has been added to the main organisation post above in the interest of fairness:

Note: "Birthday Boys" have been added to the confirmed list of attendees by default but must confirm attendance no later than 31 January 2012 otherwise they might have to forfeit their place for someone on a reserve list, should such a list form between now and then.

I have a birthday in 2012. Does that qualify me to attend this tasting? If so, I am definitely in for 29 March.
2014 Vintage Port(s) of the year (so far) - Dow 2011, Graham 1994, and Quinta do Vesuvio 2011
2013 Vintage Port of the year - Quinta do Noval 1931
User avatar
AHB
Taylor 1970
 
Posts: 7951
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby DRT » 20:18 Tue 23 Aug 2011

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:The following note has been added to the main organisation post above in the interest of fairness:

Note: "Birthday Boys" have been added to the confirmed list of attendees by default but must confirm attendance no later than 31 January 2012 otherwise they might have to forfeit their place for someone on a reserve list, should such a list form between now and then.

I have a birthday in 2012. Does that qualify me to attend this tasting? If so, I am definitely in for 29 March.
Yes, that qualifies. You're in!! :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby JacobH » 14:56 Fri 02 Sep 2011

I would always be interested in this tasting but I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to confirm either way for a couple of months. If it not an abuse of the reserve list, could I go on that, willing to accept that it might become fully booked.
Image
User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 18:47 Fri 02 Sep 2011

JacobH wrote:I would always be interested in this tasting but I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to confirm either way for a couple of months. If it not an abuse of the reserve list, could I go on that, willing to accept that it might become fully booked.
As take-up has been less than vigorous I am happy to put you on the confirmed list and ask you to abide by the same rule as the defaulted-in birthday boys. Is that OK with you?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby JacobH » 14:24 Sat 03 Sep 2011

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:I would always be interested in this tasting but I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to confirm either way for a couple of months. If it not an abuse of the reserve list, could I go on that, willing to accept that it might become fully booked.
As take-up has been less than vigorous I am happy to put you on the confirmed list and ask you to abide by the same rule as the defaulted-in birthday boys. Is that OK with you?
Certainly 88)
Image
User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 14:40 Sat 17 Dec 2011

It has been suggested that this tasting be held at The Bell on Sunday 11th March 2012, which is the 50th Birthday of attendee number 1.

Could all who expressed an interest please confirm whether or not they agree to this change?

DRT agrees.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: 2012 - The Birthday Boys' Tasting

Postby DRT » 14:57 Sat 17 Dec 2011

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Perhaps the theme could be ‟Port to drink on your birthday”?

That's a theme I like!
I like this too.

Unless someone comes up with a better theme within the next 7 days that will be the theme for this tasting.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby jdaw1 » 17:16 Sat 17 Dec 2011

DRT wrote:It has been suggested that this tasting be held at The Bell on Sunday 11th March 2012, which is the 50th Birthday of attendee number 1.

Could all who expressed an interest please confirm whether or not they agree to this change?
Subject to being able to adopt, this is probably OK with me.
User avatar
jdaw1
Graham’s 1948
 
Posts: 14944
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby AHB » 17:31 Sat 17 Dec 2011

That makes it less easy for me to attend - and when is Tom back?
2014 Vintage Port(s) of the year (so far) - Dow 2011, Graham 1994, and Quinta do Vesuvio 2011
2013 Vintage Port of the year - Quinta do Noval 1931
User avatar
AHB
Taylor 1970
 
Posts: 7951
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 18:23 Sat 17 Dec 2011

AHB wrote:That makes it less easy for me to attend - and when is Tom back?
These questions didn't seem to come up when the event was enthusiastically discussed on Thursday :roll:

If this is going to be difficult to arrange we need to let BB1 know very quickly.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby AHB » 01:06 Sun 18 Dec 2011

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:That makes it less easy for me to attend - and when is Tom back?
These questions didn't seem to come up when the event was enthusiastically discussed on Thursday :roll:

If this is going to be difficult to arrange we need to let BB1 know very quickly.

I don't recall any discussion of dates!
2014 Vintage Port(s) of the year (so far) - Dow 2011, Graham 1994, and Quinta do Vesuvio 2011
2013 Vintage Port of the year - Quinta do Noval 1931
User avatar
AHB
Taylor 1970
 
Posts: 7951
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 08:54 Sun 18 Dec 2011

Our recollections differ. I recall someone saying something similar to "My birthday is on 11th March, will we all meet here to celebrate". Following a brief period of group enthusiasm, that person pulled a diary from his pocket and wrote something in it, which I figured was more than likely an entry against 11th March.

I accept that by the time all of this happened we we possibly not at our sharpest so hopefully others will help piece together what actually occurred.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby Andy Velebil » 17:04 Sun 18 Dec 2011

I Should add my bday is in mid April and the past couple years I've tripped across the pond to celebrate with some very amusing and like minded port lovers. This coming year hopefully is no different.
Andy Velebil
Fonseca 1980
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby Axel P » 15:58 Mon 19 Dec 2011

Unfortunately I am out, since on this date is my daughters birthday.

Axel
Last edited by Axel P on 16:02 Mon 19 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
User avatar
Axel P
Martinez 1985
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby RAYC » 16:02 Mon 19 Dec 2011

Axel P wrote:would you want me to ask a special guest? Shall we hold this in the RAF-Club?

Well, maybe more exec decisions to come...

Axel


It seems that AHB is not the only one suffering memory loss from the conversation on Thursday night at the Bell! :wink:
Rob C.
User avatar
RAYC
Fonseca 1980
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby RAYC » 16:03 Mon 19 Dec 2011

DRT wrote:Our recollections differ. I recall someone saying something similar to "My birthday is on 11th March, will we all meet here to celebrate". Following a brief period of group enthusiasm, that person pulled a diary from his pocket and wrote something in it, which I figured was more than likely an entry against 11th March.

I accept that by the time all of this happened we we possibly not at our sharpest so hopefully others will help piece together what actually occurred.


This is an accurate summary of what i remember being discussed. I am happy if it goes ahead as discussed, but equally if it is now amended because everyone agreed to it when they were too far gone to remember!
Rob C.
User avatar
RAYC
Fonseca 1980
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby RAYC » 16:38 Mon 19 Dec 2011

Axel P wrote:Unfortunately I am out, since on this date is my daughters birthday.

Axel


AHB wrote:That makes it less easy for me to attend - and when is Tom back?


Here, via jdaw1, THRA wrote: ‟Delaforce vertical - would appreciate date set after about March 12th.”


Suggests a re-think of whether March 11 is a go-er?
Rob C.
User avatar
RAYC
Fonseca 1980
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: The Birthday Boys' Tasting, London - 29 Mar 2012

Postby DRT » 18:13 Mon 19 Dec 2011

Perhaps we should keep the date for this tasting as 29th March and I will email the man whose birthday is on 11th March and ask him to join us.

Would anyone who agreed to the 29th March tasting object if the venue was The Bell instead of the RAFC? I think this would be a good compromise and The Bell is probably a better venue for the currently preferred theme.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1963
 
Posts: 12271
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Organising Tastings and Get-togethers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron