Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Post by Axel P »

Unfortunately I am in Australia that date.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Would love to come to this, will have a look through what I have and wear the holes are and will revert.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Any further thoughts on vintages? I could bring a 66 Wares if we go ahead with 66 to pair with the Fonseca?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

griff wrote:Any further thoughts on vintages? I could bring a 66 Wares if we go ahead with 66 to pair with the Fonseca?
As we've still got a fair amount of time to go, I'm planning on re-checking attendees at the same time as asking people which vintages they may be able to provide; I'll then make a final judgement on vintages, depending on numbers, in order to keep cost reasonable but hopefully keep a broad spectrum. (updated) First post correctly reflects intentions depending on this.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Unfortunately I am in Australia on this date.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I should be able to make this - will know for certain fairly soon.

Within the date range of '55 to '85, I can supply all the vintages, with the exception of F55 which I've rather carelessly drunk myself to extinction on..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Could people please let me know by email/PM what bottles they would be able to make available for this tasting (together with cost)? I can then sort purchase of any additional bottles required, and sort any payments/credits needed. (I would prefer the more informal "select something to bring" approach, but given our span from F55 to W85 felt that this would be unfair on some people).

Thanks.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Have sent you an email :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

An update on status. Regarding budget, the goal is to beat £125/head for port budget (ideally to beat £100/head port-budget), assuming 12 people and assuming the full 14-bottles (55,60,63,66,70,77,85) with good provenance where possible; this is looking viable.

Regarding bottle-sourcing, am currently still looking for the following, if anyone attending is able to offer to supply:
Warre 55,60,70
Fonseca 55,60,63,70
Tom has offered to help filling remaning gaps aside from the F55 which we will need to obtain retail, but if others can assist with the above so that we don't have any one person supplying too many bottles, that would be preferable; if you are therefore able to offer any of the above towards this tasting please PM/email me.

Phil.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I can now confirm my attendance and I would like to bring an industry guest if this is acceptable.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Cookie wrote:I would like to bring an industry guest if this is acceptable.
Let Phil know who it is (by PM, if sensitive) and he can decide!
Rob C.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Cookie wrote:I can now confirm my attendance and I would like to bring an industry guest if this is acceptable.
Cookie added to attendees. Industry guest would be fine, though I might be hesitant at suggestion of a TFP or Symington guest on this occaison since I would not want them to feel awkward or us constrained in considering the comparisons. Will PM you.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

PhilW wrote:
Cookie wrote:I can now confirm my attendance and I would like to bring an industry guest if this is acceptable.
Cookie added to attendees. Industry guest would be fine, though I might be hesitant at suggestion of a TFP or Symington guest on this occaison since I would not want them to feel awkward or us constrained in considering the comparisons. Will PM you.
No need to worry...my guest is not from either camp.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:Attending:
  1. (guest)
Is Phil's "guest" and Cookie's "guest" the same person? If not, do we know they happy to both attend the same tasting?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:
PhilW wrote:Attending:
  1. (guest)
Is Phil's "guest" and Cookie's "guest" the same person? If not, do we know they happy to both attend the same tasting?
The guest listed in attendees is Cookie's; my planned surprise guest was the Bishop of Norwich who we have now invited to the Olympic tasting, so there is no clash.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Location: TBC (The Bunghole Cellars)
Less convenient than it once was. But I’m in.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My trip to Germany in late September has now been cancelled. If there is still space at the table, please could I attend?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:My trip to Germany in late September has now been cancelled. If there is still space at the table, please could I attend?
Of course :) we have a couple of spots remaining if we do have any additional interest.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Draft placements here. Currently configured as one sheet of Warre, one sheet of Fonseca; considered alternative of keeping years side by side instead.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Jolly good, though ‟Warre” needs some kerning: [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre)], though I haven’t tested whether -0.09 is optimal.

And pre-pour and cork-display sheets might, or might not, be wanted.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Having received confirmation I can now declare my guest as the eminent wine writer and broadcaster
Jancis Robinson MW. :D
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Cookie wrote:Having received confirmation I can now declare my guest as the eminent wine writer and broadcaster
Jancis Robinson MW. :D
Ooer! Looking forward to meeting HRH :)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Jolly good, though ‟Warre” needs some kerning: [(W) {-0.09 Kern} (arre)], though I haven’t tested whether -0.09 is optimal.
agree, will experiment; Also the inner W seems too close to the outer circles, though fine for the F; could add a gap inside the outer ring text, but really would only need it for the Warre, which might not be possible with current parameter set? I'll experiment with this also.
And pre-pour and cork-display sheets might, or might not, be wanted.
deliberately omitted on both counts since the majority of people will be supplying 1 bottle to the event, so I was considering asking people to bring their pre-decanted bottles (as per normal informal) rather then pre-collecting; on reflection though it's probably better to have the extra sheets and not need them than to find they would be useful on the night and not have them... I'll enable them in next draft.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Also the inner W seems too close to the outer circles, though fine for the F; could add a gap inside the outer ring text, but really would only need it for the Warre, which might not be possible with current parameter set? I'll experiment with this also.
Try something like /ExclusionAnnulusProportionInnerRadiusTitlesAboveBelow 0.02 def, which won’t affect the F but will affect the W.

If preferred this could be code: /ExclusionAnnulusProportionInnerRadiusTitlesAboveBelow {Titles WithinTitles get 0 1 getinterval (W) eq {0.02} {0} ifelse} def.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

I would very much like to attend, provided there's availability of course. Having never attended one before, it seems like a great way to get my port tasting feet wet. I can sponsor a bottle purchased retail if gaps still exist and of course top up to the overall cost per head of £125, should that be required.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Magnus