Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Mon 24th Sept 2012 - Fonseca vs Warres head to head

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:W63 is now safely in London.

Whilst driving for four hours through the light drizzle we have been experiencing today I thought up a scoring system that we might want to try this evening.

1. The Fonseca and Warre from each vintage are tasted side by side.

2. Each person has 6 points to allocate between each vintage pair. Fractions are allowed. All 6 points must be allocated. (e.g. F60 3.5pts, W60 2.5pts, or; F60 1pt, W60 5pts, etc.)

3. Scores are noted by each person as we work through the vintages but are not collected until the end. This allows glasses to be re-visited and score adjusted before being declared.

4. After everything has been tasted the scores are collected and we decide which Shipper won the parallel vertical.

5. Separately, we vote for WOTN in the normal manner.

Thoughts?
hmmm... i like the idea of this...but say W77 is badly corked, or heat damaged through inappropriate storage. F77 likely to get 6 points. That's a big deficit to recoup over the remaining 6 vintages. Do we discount scores for any pair in which there is an obvious flaw? Or remove the results from two "outlier" pairs and use the results from the remaining 5 pairs?
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Six points, with fractions, for two ports: substantial over-precision. Surely it would suffice to have two points and no fractions (2-0, 1-1, 0-2).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Six points, with fractions, for two ports: substantial over-precision. Surely it would suffice to have two points and no fractions (2-0, 1-1, 0-2).
Fair. If 0-1-2 is a statistically better system I am happy.
RAYC wrote:hmmm... i like the idea of this...but say W77 is badly corked, or heat damaged through inappropriate storage. F77 likely to get 6 points. That's a big deficit to recoup over the remaining 6 vintages. Do we discount scores for any pair in which there is an obvious flaw? Or remove the results from two "outlier" pairs and use the results from the remaining 5 pairs?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that where there is an obvious duffer (corked, cooked, cloudy, full of green slime, etc) that vintage is excluded from the result. That doesn't mean that if one is just crap and the other is great we apply this rule, it is only where the wine has been damaged in some way.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:is only where the wine has been damaged in some way.
Such as having been made by Hutcheson’s wine maker, for example. (Happily not applicable in today’s tasting.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:is only where the wine has been damaged in some way.
Such as having been made by Hutcheson’s wine maker, for example. (Happily not applicable in today’s tasting.)
Not sure that is a valid example but it does raise the question of whether or not negative scores should be allowed for spectacularly crap Port - e.g. Fonseca 70 22pts, Hutcheson 70 -20pts
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Sounds complicated. I can follow it now but I suspect I shall need assistance at the end of the night :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »