Thu 17th January - The Dow Magnumonicon

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Re: Thu 17th January - The Dow Magnumonicon

Post by Cynthia J »

Count me in, financial arrangements via pm. thanks!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:A date of Thursday 17th January is now proposed for this tasting.

Please could those who have previously indicated that they would be interested in attending now confirm that they are still interested given the date has now been fixed.
I'm still in.

Presumably this is one of those situations where confirming an intention to attend is confirmation that you agree to pay £100 towards the cost of the Port (now-ish) regardless of whether or not one does actually manage to attend the event?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote: Presumably this is one of those situations where confirming an intention to attend is confirmation that you agree to pay £100 towards the cost of the Port (now-ish) regardless of whether or not one does actually manage to attend the event?
....unless (i) someone from the reserve list, having been offered the place, subsequently agrees to attend or (ii) where there is no reserve list or the people on the reserve list decide within a reasonable time limit that they do not want to accept the place, a substitute willing to take the place is privately found

Subject to the above, i am in agreement with your position. If someone has to drop out and no one can be found to replace, i sort of feel that they should at least be offered their share in sample bottles (subject to logistics not being to complicated, of course. Or they ask for it all in a 75cl crusted blend!).
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

nb: i'm still in.
Rob C.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am still in.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
DRT wrote:i sort of feel that they should at least be offered their share in sample bottles (subject to logistics not being to complicated, of course. Or they ask for it all in a 75cl crusted blend!).
I agree. But only for last-minute drop-outs due to unforseen emergency situations such as loss of wifely permission, loss of a limb or a family crisis. Pulling out in mid December and asking to be sent samples would be taking the liberties and could encourage virtual participation at future events, which isn't the point of our tastings.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've noticed an issue. We have no 1966 in magnum. :shock:

I don't have the pro version of wine-searcher and the non-pro version doesn't show any available world-wide. Can someone who has the pro version check for a lead on one or does someone have one to sell the group?
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

17th of January is fine by me. Am against opening a Magnum of Dow 1966 since being completly immature. Let us stuck with this line up and rather go for comparison vs straight bts if some feel the need rather than opening immature wines.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wine-Searcher Pro wrote:No results for the 1966 vintage.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

WS1 wrote:Hi,

17th of January is fine by me. Am against opening a Magnum of Dow 1966 since being completly immature. Let us stuck with this line up and rather go for comparison vs straight bts if some feel the need rather than opening immature wines.

regards

WS1
But this line of reasoning doesn't apply to the Dow 80....?!

An academic point since there are none available, but my experience of the Dow 66 is very different and i think it is in a great place right now (e.g.: here an ex-cellars bottle at the Decanter tasting in November 2010, here at the Dow vertical in September 2010 where the 66 was WOTN, and here at The Matrix Revisited tasting in October 2011 where it did not show immature)
Rob C.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

I am still in.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Hi Alex,

unfortunately I cannot make it on January 17th, so please do erase my seat.

I wish you a wonderful tasting.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Date and cost ok with me --> still in.

Thanks
Magnus
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

RAYC wrote:
WS1 wrote:Hi,

regards

WS1
But this line of reasoning doesn't apply to the Dow 80....?!

An academic point since there are none available, but my experience of the Dow 66 is very different and i think it is in a great place right now (e.g.: here an ex-cellars bottle at the Decanter tasting in November 2010, here at the Dow vertical in September 2010 where the 66 was WOTN, and here at The Matrix Revisited tasting in October 2011 where it did not show immature)
What he said
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm playing the organiser's privilege card with this tasting. It is my intention not to allow any ports into this tasting unless they are Dow and were bottled in magnum 2-3 years after the vintage.

People are wlecome to bring along additional bottles to share if they are worried that we may run dry, but these will be for drinking after the Dow Magnumonicon Tasting and not something that I propose to try to organise.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex
Totally agree it should be only dow's vp in magnum format.

To clarify...Does that preclude us from adding more vintages of it so long as it's in mag size and everyone (With your approval) agrees?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:I'm playing the organiser's privilege card
I respect that card, and defer to it.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Question: What is this Dow 1977 "Millenium Selection" business? Are there two different blends of Dow 1977? Or was this just a marketing thing for bottles released back in 1999/2000?

I remain concerned that - based on the evidence of all recent tastings - we will run out of port with only 6 mags between 14 people. If extras are being suggested, it would be nice if they were Dow-related. Dow 07 might be fun to revisit, for instance...
Rob C.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

RAYC wrote:Question: What is this Dow 1977 "Millenium Selection" business? Are there two different blends of Dow 1977? Or was this just a marketing thing for bottles released back in 1999/2000?

I remain concerned that - based on the evidence of all recent tastings - we will run out of port with only 6 mags between 14 people. If extras are being suggested, it would be nice if they were Dow-related. Dow 07 might be fun to revisit, for instance...
One would probably be correct to assume it was for marketing issues given the millenium part.

Yes, if Alex agrees, we should try and get mags of say 1966 and 1983 to fill in some missing vintages. :mrgreen:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would be delighted to add further magnums to the line up, if we can find them. 1966 is the vintage I would really like to add - I don't drink enough Dow '66!

As for wine after the magnum event - I'm relaxed. My general view is that this is probably best not necessarily being Dow related as sometimes it's nice to give the palate some variety, but I'm equally not going to stop someone if they really want to bring a Dow 2007 to the evening. And don't forget that Davy's new over-the-counter Port list now includes the (very tasty) Dow 1994.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Mags of Dow 1975, 1983, 1991, 1997 and 2000 are available on wine searcher if we want them. I am actually quite interested in tasting the 1975 from mag to see if it has survived better than the small bottle.

I have come to the opinion that this tasting should be restricted to Dow magnums only. If we remain thirsty at the end we should drink beer.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote: I have come to the opinion that this tasting should be restricted to Dow magnums only. If we remain thirsty at the end we should drink beer.
Sounds unnecessarily prescriptive and dictatorial to me. What if one wants to drink earl grey tea?
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
DRT wrote: I have come to the opinion that this tasting should be restricted to Dow magnums only. If we remain thirsty at the end we should drink beer.
Sounds unnecessarily prescriptive and dictatorial to me. What if one wants to drink earl grey tea?
Prescriptive and dictatorial would have included the word "must" instead of "should", but I concede the point. We should drink beer or beer substitute rather than non Dow-mag Ports.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JDAW: yes please.

First draft of the placemats.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:Mags of Dow 1975, 1983, 1991, 1997 and 2000 are available on wine searcher if we want them. I am actually quite interested in tasting the 1975 from mag to see if it has survived better than the small bottle.

I have come to the opinion that this tasting should be restricted to Dow magnums only. If we remain thirsty at the end we should drink beer.
Yes, 1975 would be fun. I'm in for getting the 1975, 1983, 1991 if they are reasonably priced (i.e. not 4 times normal retail) and the others agree. The 1997, while academic, is probably still in a phase like most other 1997's and may not be at it's best. But I am open to be proven wrong 88)

I prefer coffee in the winter and tea in the summer, I hope that's ok?