Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:This feels like a plan that is very much coming together, but I don't yet understand the theme.

I think the theme should be understood to be:

Doty is bringing ~12 bottles of port for your general enjoyment. Should you feel that 12 bottles may be insufficient for our purposes (entirely likely, given prior experience), you are welcome to offer support.

I have a particular, non-port request for each of you as well, but will send those via phone/email/PM.

Get pumped!
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:
SCP-DFF wrote:I feel like a Goddess...
Please consider yourself invited to any tasting I am involved in -- and it sounds like quite a pity that we'll be counting you out of these festivities!
Be very careful here, Chris. It is only with great age and experience that JDAW and I have learned to manage the expectations of a complex creature such as SCP-DFF without her realising what we are up to. Wisdom does indeed come with age.
[/size]

i have always listened attentively to your guidance, and do not plan to start making exceptions at this stage. duly noted.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:Bring a bottle of VP wrapped in foil (and hopefully not poured down your leg) ...
Missed the parenthetical somehow in the first read. Obviously a killer reference. I am thus slain.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Chris Doty wrote:
DRT wrote:This feels like a plan that is very much coming together, but I don't yet understand the theme.

I think the theme should be understood to be:

Doty is bringing ~12 bottles of port for your general enjoyment. Should you feel that 12 bottles may be insufficient for our purposes (entirely likely, given prior experience), you are welcome to offer support.

I have a particular, non-port request for each of you as well, but will send those via phone/email/PM.

Get pumped!
This is very generous.

I'm of course keen to contribute some way - either by a bottle, a reimbursement or - if it's felt that a sufficient or nearly-sufficient volume of bottles is already committed to the tasting - i'd be more than happy to team up with one or more others to add a "special occasion" bottle as a joint contribution.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:I'm of course keen to contribute some way - either by a bottle, a reimbursement or - if it's felt that a sufficient or nearly-sufficient volume of bottles is already committed to the tasting - i'd be more than happy to team up with one or more others to add a "special occasion" bottle as a joint contribution.
Seconded.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:I'm of course keen to contribute some way - either by a bottle, a reimbursement or - if it's felt that a sufficient or nearly-sufficient volume of bottles is already committed to the tasting - i'd be more than happy to team up with one or more others to add a "special occasion" bottle as a joint contribution.
Seconded.
An excellent idea. I'm in.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote: An excellent idea. I'm in.
Me too!
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Chris Doty wrote:
WS1 wrote:Hi Chris,

I am in England that weekend; thought I take a breather after going to a big Burgundy tasting in Austria the weekend befoer and to a very big CDP tasting the week after. But seeing after such a long period of time; am already looking fwd to it. So would like to attend.

Also am sure to find an excellent bt of port to bring by :lol:

regards

WS1
Wolfy!

You're a beast my friend, and I am really thrilled that you are going to come out and help celebrate my return to London. Every tasting is more fun with you present, and I look forward to catching up. Was the Austrian tasting something by Gerhard? I've always wanted to attend one of his events -- seems like a fabulous host.

Anyway, I hope all's well,
Chris
Hi Chris,

looking fwd to cu you too. Sent you an e-mail in order to avoid people getting bored about all that Burgundy and CDP... :wink:
No doubt you should attend some of Gerhard's events but location wise you are a bit far away. Wrong continent mate! :lol:
Have you already thought joining us back here on the old continent (Aehm island!!!!!!!!! :oops: )
I still do not understand why you did not have daily sessions with your port chums overthere involving Port when NY was under water. You could say you missed a golden opportunity! :nirvana:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:Doty's Triumphant Return - London, Friday, February 15th
Worthy of commendation is the Doty-esque level of understated modesty in ‟Triumphant”. Praise be to the full-strength CSD.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Friday is easier for me than Saturday, so I am in (Thursday would have been impossible for obvious reasons).

Chris - let me know if you want help in making arrangements, booking the venue etc. You should have my phone number and email but PM me if you need reminding. Feel free to chase us through TPF if we're not responding to your requests. Who do you want us to send our one word descriptions of you to? (Or if this is being read by JDAW - "To whom do you want us to send our one word descriptions of you?")

All - I'm in for the share of a special bottle, but we don't have too much time to get one organised. ANyone have anything in mind?

All - least we can do is to cover the cost of CSD's food bill

DRT - I sniggered out loud (SOLled?) when I read your question to SCP-DFS regarding the words "Taylor" and "Vertical".
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:(Thursday would have been impossible for obvious reasons)
The ‟reasons” are’t obvious to me.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:(Thursday would have been impossible for obvious reasons)
The ‟reasons” are’t obvious to me.
The reasons might not apply every 14th of February, but when they apply they are obvious.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote: I still do not understand why you did not have daily sessions with your port chums overthere involving Port when NY was under water. You could say you missed a golden opportunity! :nirvana:

WS1
Always a bastion of sensitivity, compassion and strength.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote:Worthy of commendation is the Doty-esque level of understated modesty in ‟Triumphant”. Praise be to the full-strength CSD.

:P
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

First draft of the placemats.
  • CSD a leftie, IIRC.
  • Done what I can with the little obedience of
    Chris Doty wrote:perhaps each guest could email jdaw a one word description of myself or the period of time I spent in london
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Done what I can with the little obedience of
Chris Doty wrote:perhaps each guest could email jdaw a one word description of myself or the period of time I spent in london
Ignoring such a simple request is bad. Trying to comply with such a simple request and failing miserably is quite remarkable.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Ignoring such a simple request is bad. Trying to comply with such a simple request and failing miserably is quite remarkable.
Indeed. I've never met Chris, but as a minimum "generous" would seem an undeniable starting point, given the tasting arrangement! I'm unfortunately am not available that week (and would have been hesitant to take up such a generous offer having never met Chris) but it sounds like it could be a very interesting tasting, and hopefully I'll get to meet Chris another time in the future.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

benread wrote:I shall do my best to create a pass. Having just cancelled a boys weekend to act as nursemaid to a sick wife, I think my chances are good!
Confirmed. Happy to contribute to proposal regarding a 'special' bottle if someone has something in mind? Will PM a 'word'.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

would also like to contribute; please let me also know.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Done what I can with the little obedience of
Ignoring such a simple request is bad. Trying to comply with such a simple request and failing miserably is quite remarkable.
Do or do not, there is no try.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

jdaw1 wrote: CSD a leftie, IIRC
Could I be anything else?
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Ignoring such a simple request is bad. Trying to comply with such a simple request and failing miserably is quite remarkable.
Indeed. I've never met Chris, but as a minimum "generous" would seem an undeniable starting point, given the tasting arrangement! I'm unfortunately am not available that week (and would have been hesitant to take up such a generous offer having never met Chris) but it sounds like it could be a very interesting tasting, and hopefully I'll get to meet Chris another time in the future.

Phil,

You would obviously be a most welcome addition to our tasting -- I'm sorry to hear you are unlikely to be able to make it. Hopefully we'll meet up sometime soon.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote:re: venue, the bung hole, while perhaps having a different connotation in English than in American, should be a perfectly suitable venue, and please feel free to let them know that we're coming
When visiting The Bunghole earlier this week I mentioned that we were coming. There is a problem. Other people intend being in The Bunghole on the same evening and beat us to the booking.

The question of whether or not we can be accommodated comes down to numbers. How many confirmed attendees do we have?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:How many confirmed attendees do we have?
I'm going to answer my own question!

Attendees:
  1. AHB
  2. BMHR
  3. CSD
  4. DRT
  5. JDAW
  6. RAYC
  7. WS1
I will ask The Bunghole if they can accommodate seven.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:First draft of the placemats.
I have spotted an omission :crying:
Ernest H. Cockburn