Thu 19th December 2013: The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Thu 19th December 2013: The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Post by djewesbury »

I'm very flattered. I'll check flights (etc) in the morning and confirm whether I can attend.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Flights booked. Saffron Hotel booked. See you all the 19th.
Daniel J.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Derek, this is sad news.

I sincerely do hope that everything will be allright. Be assured that I will toast the WotN to your health.

Hope to see you soon in good condition.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel P wrote:Hope to see you soon in good condition.
Thanks, Axel. I am sure the knee op will go fine but I'm sorry to say that after nearly five decades I, like most vintage ports, am unlikely to see an improvement in my general condition with more age :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
Axel P wrote:Hope to see you soon in good condition.
Thanks, Axel. I am sure the knee op will go fine but I'm sorry to say that after nearly five decades I, like most vintage ports, am unlikely to see an improvement in my general condition with more age :roll:
Not at all. Now that your knees are being racked into new barrels, they'll have years ahead of them.
Daniel J.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

DRT wrote:Thanks, Axel. I am sure the knee op will go fine but I'm sorry to say that after nearly five decades I, like most vintage ports, am unlikely to see an improvement in my general condition with more age
This is for sure, Derek, but like all of us, the only thing we can do is trying to stop the downhill path a bit in speed since we are all past our prime.

All best

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Have you considered arresting or slowing down the maturation process by living somewhere cooler, a fridge or Scandinavia perhaps? 8-)

Hope the op goes well and that you are back on your feet soon!

Magnus

edited to show Derek's text as a quote
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:It is with great sadness that I have to announce that I will be unable to join you at The Bell as I will be confined to barracks following knee surgery.
Am sorry to hear that, especially since you also missed last year's event. Hopefully you will be making up for it in the new year; in the meantime I hope the surgery goes smoothly,and take care of yourself.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Sorry to hear that - from memory you don't seem to have much luck with the Christmas tasting (even when you do attend!).
AHB wrote: JDAW - would you mind creating some Bell Tasting stickers? I can then print a few days before the event.
I have loads of sticker sheets left-over from printing last year....if you don't, i can either send to you or print myself if helpful?
jdaw1 wrote:First draft of the paperwork.(In following diagram lilac is edge of label, green is boundary of writing zone; neither of these colours will print.)
Despite a minimal amount of waste, having 2 sets to each sticker sheet (with a blank column) means that certain people do not have to juggle two individual (and fiddly) strips of stickers during the tasting. For some reason i adopted Ray's stickers last year and had to deal with this - was not ideal. If the blank column could be the middle column, that would be perfect in terms of a quick "chop and distribute". Obviously disregard if it requires a lot of code.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hmm. Question asked in thread about the software. For the moment, failing sudden enlightenment, please assume that it would be too much coding.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

@jdaw - did you notice that something seems to have gone wrong with the names along the top of the "what is it?" page, either orientation, font size or both?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:@jdaw - did you notice that something seems to have gone wrong with the names along the top of the "what is it?" page, either orientation, font size or both?
No. What’s wrong?

The code tries to save space by putting the horizontally, unless that is too much of a squeeze, when it flips to vertical. Or is the problem that the What-is-it page has an extra row?
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:@jdaw - did you notice that something seems to have gone wrong with the names along the top of the "what is it?" page, either orientation, font size or both?
No. What’s wrong?

The code tries to save space by putting the horizontally, unless that is too much of a squeeze, when it flips to vertical. Or is the problem that the What-is-it page has an extra row?
It was (sort of) a non-problem, to do with the fact that all of the names are christian names rather than initials, but where they do not fit on the "what is it" page they have been shortened to a single initial. At first glance I saw "Rob C." which appeared to have overwritten the next column heading, but in fact it was Rob, C., as two successive column headings; just looked wrong, but strictly wasn't.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:but where they do not fit on the "what is it" page they have been shortened to a single initial.
Deliberately, by me, to save space.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:Despite a minimal amount of waste, having 2 sets to each sticker sheet (with a blank column) means that certain people do not have to juggle two individual (and fiddly) strips of stickers during the tasting. For some reason i adopted Ray's stickers last year and had to deal with this - was not ideal. If the blank column could be the middle column, that would be perfect in terms of a quick "chop and distribute". Obviously disregard if it requires a lot of code.
Done, at least mostly.

Updated draft of the paperwork.
(In following diagram lilac is edge of label, green is boundary of writing zone; neither of these colours will print.)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Please could you replace DRT with Daniel and then I will print on Thursday or Friday of this week - unless anyone can print next week and bring the paperwork with them?

Thanks.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Please could you replace DRT with Daniel and then I will print on Thursday or Friday of this week - unless anyone can print next week and bring the paperwork with them?
Done. Please re-check before printing.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Done. Please re-check
Linked PDF still shows Derek as participant, unless link/PDF still pending update.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Linked PDF still shows Derek as participant, unless link/PDF still pending update.
Sorry, my fault. I dragged from the wrong directory into my FTP client. Should be good now. Please re-check.

And I’ve just remembered to book myself a hotel room.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:Linked PDF still shows Derek as participant, unless link/PDF still pending update.
Sorry, my fault. I dragged from the wrong directory into my FTP client. Should be good now. Please re-check.
Names good. Are glass labels supposed to be columns of 13? (I thought 12 on label sheets?). Tasting note sheets look fine, provided they print (since they occur after distillation log, unchecked).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Are glass labels supposed to be columns of 13? (I thought 12 on label sheets?).
5×13.
PhilW wrote:Tasting note sheets look fine, provided they print (since they occur after distillation log, unchecked).
Err, tasting-note sheets are on pages 1 to 48, so the ‟after” is puzzling me.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:Tasting note sheets look fine, provided they print (since they occur after distillation log, unchecked).
Err, tasting-note sheets are on pages 1 to 48, so the ‟after” is puzzling me.
I was only seeing the tasting notes sheets in the "re-ordered" section, rather than ahead of voting sheets in the "in print order" section. All looks fine on re-checking; assume reviewer error.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Splendid, because Alex is printing today, after which I’ll add the parameters to the review section.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I will be arriving at Audley End around 4 pm. Who will be there then?
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:I will be arriving at Audley End around 4 pm. Who will be there then?
Please could we be reminded of the name of the train station at which I should alight, if coming from London.