Page 1 of 6

2011 Horizontal - London, Sunday 23rd April 2051

Posted: 23:37 Wed 10 Jul 2013
by DRT
Many of us have been dabbling in the 2011 VP market, presumably with thoughts of our own consumption, or the consumption of those born in 2011, but perhaps we should be planning ahead for this landmark vintage to ensure we have sufficient supplies to put on a proper horizontal tasting.

The proposed date is St George's Day 2051, being the 40th anniversary of the declaration of the vintage.

People (all subject to being fit to attend):
  1. DRT; ✓
  2. DJ; ✓
  3. JDAW; ✓
  4. CaliforniaBrad;
  5. ADV; ✓
  6. AHB; ✓
  7. JHG; ✓
  8. THRA; ✓
  9. RAYC;
  10. PW; ✓
  11. WPS; ✓
  12. BMHR; ✓
  13. TLW;
  14. PEM.
Reserves:
  • GEE; ✓
  • SCD; ✓
  • MPM; ✓
  • IDJ
  • GD; ✓
  • RK; ✓
    Caparica; ✓
    Justin K; ✓
    /2alph; ✓
    Jasper May; ✓
    differentdave + son. ✓
✓ = confirmed or reconfirmed interest in late 2018 or early 2019.

Bottles:
  1. Barão de Vilar (PEM);
  2. Cockburn (BPB);
  3. Croft (JHG);
  4. Dow (DRT, JDAW);
  5. Ferreira (AHB);
  6. Fonseca (DJ, SCD {Magnum}, PEM);
  7. Graham (AHB, JHG);
  8. Graham Stone Terraces (AHB—"hopefully", SCD);
  9. Niepoort (DRT, PEM);
  10. Niepoort Bioma (DJ);
  11. Niepoort Morgadio da Calçada (PEM);
  12. Offley Boa Vista (DRT, AHB);
  13. Pintas (AHB);
  14. Quinta do Noval (DRT, BPB, PEM);
  15. Quinta do Noval Nacional (ADV {Magnum});
  16. Quinta da Romaneira (AHB);
  17. Quinta de Vale da Dona Maria (AHB, PEM);
  18. Quinta do Vesuvio (JHG);
  19. Quinta do Vesuvio Capela (DJ, PEM);
  20. Quevedo (DRT, JDAW, JHG {Imperial}, PEM);
  21. Sandeman (AHB);
  22. Skeffington (AHB);
  23. Smith Woodhouse (BPB, PEM);
  24. Taylor (DJ, PEM);
  25. Vieira de Sousa (PEM);
  26. Waitrose Symington (SCD);
  27. Warre (DRT).
Location: TBD.

Current draft of the placemats. (Do not print from this link. A few days before the tasting there will temporarily be a different link, to counteract problems with the caching of old drafts.)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
These files will be updated from time to time. Indeed, to facilitate updates if I should become ‘indisposed’ before the event, the PostScript file has also been uploaded: change the “.pdf” to “.ps” in the obvious way.

2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 23:52 Wed 10 Jul 2013
by djewesbury
Can we amend the title of this thread, so it's in the future rather than the past?

I'm in. I'll bring the Bioma, Taylor and Fonseca. Oh and the Quinta do Crasto. And I'll keep a bottle of Capela.

Should we include an indication of who should drink our share should we, er, fail to attend..?

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 00:02 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
djewesbury wrote:Can we amend the title of this thread, so it's in the future rather than the past?
But 23 April 2051 is a Sunday, and AHB can't do weekends.

I have Dow and Quevedo.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 00:05 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by DRT
djewesbury wrote:Can we amend the title of this thread, so it's in the future rather than the past?
I have no idea what you are talking about :oops:
djewesbury wrote:I'm in. I'll bring the Bioma, Taylor and Fonseca. Oh and the Quinta do Crasto. And I'll keep a bottle of Capela.
Thank you. I will update the arrangements.
djewesbury wrote:Should we include an indication of who should drink our share should we, er, fail to attend..?
I have no idea what you mean. Gentlemen of our temperate disposition will have no issue reaching 2051, although we might require the attendance of a few nurses to ensure our evening is comfortable.

2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 00:08 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by djewesbury
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Should we include an indication of who should drink our share should we, er, fail to attend..?
I have no idea what you mean. Gentlemen of our temperate disposition will have no issue reaching 2051, although we might require the attendance of a few nurses to ensure our evening is comfortable.
Sorry, the healthgiving properties of our product: I forgot. I could bring a couple of pork pies too, provided I have sufficient notice..?

2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 02:41 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by CaliforniaBrad
I'd be happy to contribute, I'll assume I'm happily retired by then with plenty of time to travel! Cockburn, Noval and SmithWoodhouse should all go the distance nicely.

2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 03:11 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by Andy Velebil
Magnum of 2011 Noval Nacional

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 15:52 Thu 11 Jul 2013
by g-man
DRT wrote:Many of us have been dabbling in the 2011 VP market, presumably with thoughts of our own consumption, or the consumption of those born in 2011, but perhaps we should be planning ahead for this landmark vintage to ensure we have sufficient supplies to put on a proper horizontal tasting.

The proposed date is St George's Day 2051, being the 40th anniversary of the declaration of the vintage.

I am in and the following have been offered for inclusion in the line-up!
  1. Dow (DRT & JDAW)
  2. Fonseca (djewesbury)
  3. Niepoort (DRT)
  4. Niepoort Bioma(djewesbury)
  5. Offley Boa Vista (DRT)
  6. Quinta do Noval (DRT)
  7. Quinta do Vale Meao (DRT)
  8. Quinta do Vesuvio Capela (djewesbury)
  9. Quevedo (DRT & JDAW)
  10. Taylor (djewesbury)
  11. Warre (DRT)
Who is in, and what can you offer for inclusion in the line-up?
sign me up!

i can bring a 6L of the Quevedo!

also have the regular vesuvio

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 08:44 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by AHB
jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Can we amend the title of this thread, so it's in the future rather than the past?
But 23 April 2051 is a Sunday, and AHB can't do weekends.
I have managed to negotiate a once-in-a-lifetime pass for a port tasting on a Sunday, so I am in.

But where should we meet? I believe that the Bung Hole is closed on Sundays. Any suggested venue options?

Of the shippers not already on the list or thread, I can bring:
Ferreira
Graham
Graham Stone Terraces (I hope, if I actually get some)
Offley
Pintas
Romaneira
Sandeman
Skeffington
Quinta de Vale da Dona Maria

And the top post needs updating with Brad's ports and Andy's magnum of Nacional 2011.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 09:43 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by g-man
Also have the croft and the grahams

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 10:08 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
DRT wrote:The proposed date is St George's Day 2051, being the 40th anniversary of the declaration of the vintage.
You sure?

2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 10:12 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by djewesbury
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:The proposed date is St George's Day 2051, being the 40th anniversary of the declaration of the vintage.
You sure?
Ah, the tricks alcohol intake plays with basic mensuration! You launched this enterprise after drinking the kinds of alcohol that the government warns us are dangerous (unlike port, which as AHB pointed out is entirely safe).

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 10:13 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:But where should we meet? I believe that the Bung Hole is closed on Sundays. Any suggested venue options?
I’ve spoken to Helen and she says that the Bung Hole can open for us on Sunday 23rd April 2051. Indeed, on any Sunday that year the diary is currently empty.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 14:57 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
This post was about the placemats, and has been moved into the first post.

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 18:39 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by DRT
AHB wrote:And the top post needs updating with Brad's ports and Andy's magnum of Nacional 2011.
Perhaps, to avoid duplication of effort over such a long period of time, the first post should be where we ("we" being "jdaw1") maintain the pictures of the placemats?

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 21:53 Fri 12 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
DRT wrote:Perhaps, to avoid duplication of effort over such a long period of time, the first post should be where we ("we" being "jdaw1") maintain the pictures of the placemats?
Done. And also where we (‟we” being DRT) maintain the list of ports and attendees.

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 07:51 Sat 13 Jul 2013
by DRT
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Perhaps, to avoid duplication of effort over such a long period of time, the first post should be where we ("we" being "jdaw1") maintain the pictures of the placemats?
Done. And also where we (‟we” being DRT) maintain the list of ports and attendees.
OK :(

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 09:29 Sat 13 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
Is anybody feeling flush?

There have been fifty-something 2011 Vintage Ports declared, many, perhaps all, in small volumes. If we were to try to buy missing VPs in the late 2040s, much success would be unlikely. Is anybody feeling sufficiently flush to be willing to buy, now-ish, a six pack of each? Fifty-something × about £200 each ≈ £10k. But subtract those of which we have multiple sources, and add storage costs. So doing this would require some current flushness.

And if this planned tasting were to fall apart, you would still have a wonderful collection from a wonderful vintage, that could be drunk, or sold to younger versions of ourselves.

Re: Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 23:27 Sat 13 Jul 2013
by DRT
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Perhaps, to avoid duplication of effort over such a long period of time, the first post should be where we ("we" being "jdaw1") maintain the pictures of the placemats?
Done. And also where we (‟we” being DRT) maintain the list of ports and attendees.
OK :(
Done. We are approaching 50% completeness. Not too shabby.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 00:22 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by djewesbury
I mentioned Crasto. I intend to get hold of this in the Douro in September. I notice that it is not included in the list of 2011 Vintage Ports declared to which JDAW linked above..

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 06:44 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by g-man
jdaw1 wrote:Is anybody feeling flush?

There have been fifty-something 2011 Vintage Ports declared, many, perhaps all, in small volumes. If we were to try to buy missing VPs in the late 2040s, much success would be unlikely. Is anybody feeling sufficiently flush to be willing to buy, now-ish, a six pack of each? Fifty-something × about £200 each ≈ £10k. But subtract those of which we have multiple sources, and add storage costs. So doing this would require some current flushness.

And if this planned tasting were to fall apart, you would still have a wonderful collection from a wonderful vintage, that could be drunk, or sold to younger versions of ourselves.

if they come stateside

i'm acutally trying to do such feat.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 09:02 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
g-man wrote:i'm acutally trying to do such feat.
Excellent.

There is time bottles could be bought either side of the pond, and later moved.

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 10:45 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by uncle tom
Put me down for Crasto and Passadouro - my top two from the blind tasting, and also Burmester - the biggest surprise from the same event.

Please book a venue with wheelchair access, as I shall be nearly 91... :D

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 12:31 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by djewesbury
uncle tom wrote:Put me down for Crasto and Passadouro - my top two from the blind tasting, and also Burmester - the biggest surprise from the same event.

Please book a venue with wheelchair access, as I shall be nearly 91... :D
I think by then :tpf:'s dedicated lift will be in place at TBH....

Re: 2011 Horizontal - London, 23rd April 2051

Posted: 12:32 Sun 14 Jul 2013
by jdaw1
uncle tom wrote:Please book a venue with wheelchair access, as I shall be nearly 91...
Q: ‟But grandpa, who wants to be ninety-two?”
A: ‟Most ninety-one year olds.”

Hadn’t thought about wheelchair access: maybe the Bunghole will have a lift by then. Must mention that to Helen.

Edit: near-simultaneous posts.