27 Nov 2013, The Bung Hole, 83@30

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 27 Nov 2013, The Bung Hole, 83@30

Post by uncle tom »

I have various adoptibles that have not already been bagged:

Cockburn
Feuerheerd
Fonseca (which I think I will volunteer for me)
Gould Campbell
Kopke
Noval Nacional
Royal Oporto
Smith Woodhouse
Taylor

- Please choose!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

27 Nov 2013, The Bung Hole, 83@30

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:Noval Nacional
Might we need some collective rebalancing if we are to open this?

Do we want to adopt it as a group?
Last edited by djewesbury on 21:06 Tue 19 Nov 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Whilst it might excel, I only hold it in moderate esteem, given my experiance of neighbouring NNs (although I don't think I've ever tried this particular one)

Have had this bottle for the best part of a decade, but will let it go at cost.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:I have various adoptibles that have not already been bagged:

Cockburn
Feuerheerd
Fonseca (which I think I will volunteer for me)
Gould Campbell
Kopke
Noval Nacional
Royal Oporto
Smith Woodhouse
Taylor

- Please choose!
I need an adoption, and choose Kopke. Just a single K to the placemat maker (who isn’t me); and also the ChAA.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:
Whilst it might excel, I only hold it in moderate esteem, given my experiance of neighbouring NNs (although I don't think I've ever tried this particular one)

Have had this bottle for the best part of a decade, but will let it go at cost.
Please specify that cost (here or by PM) and we can evaluate whether to add it as a group adoption.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Three adoptions and the question of the Nacional remain to be resolved.

Can DRT, WPS and CMAG's +1, believed-TF, please select from Tom's list. (May I suggest that Gould Campbell, Smith Woodhouse and Taylor should be represented.)
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:Can DRT, WPS and CMAG's +1, believed-TF, please select from Tom's list.
Daniel: you make the choices that need to be made, and announce that your choices are binding if not over-ruled by 6pm Friday. Make the choices here; PM the relevant people with their ‘choices’ and the deadline; and it’s decided by the deadline.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Can DRT, WPS and CMAG's +1, believed-TF, please select from Tom's list.
Daniel: you make the choices that need to be made, and announce that your choices are binding if not over-ruled by 6pm Friday. Make the choices here; PM the relevant people with their ‘choices’ and the deadline; and it’s decided by the deadline.
Done.
WS1 - Taylor
DRT - Gould Campbell (WOTN at the tasting Axel mentioned a couple of pages back)
TF - Smith Woodhouse

Tom to decide whether to bring the NN and if so, a suitable amount for those wishing to buy in.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

First draft of the placemats. Provisional, to be made much more wonderful, page 1 to be mirrored; glasses placements to be made more logical (eg SFE on one sheet). (Even though JDAW is not doing these placemats, we may rest assured that he is keeping a close eye.)
Image Image Image
Image Image
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

For a 1983 tasting the ZX Spectrum font is very appropriate. But I didn’t choose it, despite my website having a wonderful map of that classic ZX Spectrum game, Jet Set Willy II.
Image Image
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

djewesbury wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Done.
WS1 - Taylor
DRT - Gould Campbell (WOTN at the tasting Axel mentioned a couple of pages back)
TF - Smith Woodhouse

Tom to decide whether to bring the NN and if so, a suitable amount for those wishing to buy in.
Fine by me; will ask uncle Tom for the bill

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thanks Wolfgang, and Derek also (by PM).
We are nearly ready to taxi down the runway...
Daniel J.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Re. Adoptions..

There is a large disparity between the cost of bottles - would the adopters prefer me to average them out??
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:Re. Adoptions..

There is a large disparity between the cost of bottles - would the adopters prefer me to average them out??
Tom, this seems fair. Please make the appropriate calculations.
Also, please decide re the NN as you see fit. If you wish to open it with us, then we can all choose to pay in on the same basis as the system used for the Ni66 we enjoyed with Chris D. earlier in the year... If you prefer to hold on to it, then do.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Based on numerous previous experiences, including a number tasted at the quinta, I expect the NN83 to be nothing other than very disappointing. It isn't just bad NN, it is bad VP.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Re. Adoptions..

That seems very fair.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Based on numerous previous experiences, including a number tasted at the quinta, I expect the NN83 to be nothing other than very disappointing. It isn't just bad NN, it is bad VP.
This is worth bearing in mind.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:Based on numerous previous experiences, including a number tasted at the quinta, I expect the NN83 to be nothing other than very disappointing. It isn't just bad NN, it is bad VP.
This seems preposterous. I've had the NN84 before, and while it was not exceptional, it was also not bad. Tasted blind, I believe I rated it 84 points. Is NN83 dramatically worse than NN84?
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:
This seems preposterous. I've had the NN84 before, and while it was not exceptional, it was also not bad. Tasted blind, I believe I rated it 84 points. Is NN83 dramatically worse than NN84?
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=18555#p18555]Here[/url] SushiNorth wrote:Caramel apple red in color, this Quinta do Noval Nacional 1983 was hopefully just an off bottle. Beyond the heat in the nose was an intense and overpowering smell of celery, followed by fennel seeds, chocolate, and (per EricD) Rhubarb. I never found jdaw's passionfruit, nor did the celery diminish or orange peel evolve as some suggested late in the evening. To taste, it was all celery, with fruit beneath and a touch of licorice. (no score)
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=40024#p40024]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:NN83, #1: red-brown, 40% opacity. Off. RMM ‟not good”. AHB ‟very harsh”. Not drunk.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=40025#p40025]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:NN83, #2: red-brown, 40% opacity. No nose recorded. To taste heat. Light. ‟Utterly unremarkable”, I wrote, before remarking ‟Good weight into good length unctuous sweetness”.
So I’ve had NN83 thrice: one ‟off bottle”, one ‟not good”, the best ‟Utterly unremarkable”.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It seems my darling wife has arranged to go out for dinner with her port work chums the evening of our Christmas shopping trip. That leaves me alone at home, kicking my heels on the night of 27th November. What is a boy to do?

So, if there's still space, I am in. Just need to look at the list of who is bringing what and see whether I need to adopt from Tom or if I have something at home that isn't already represented.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:It seems my darling wife has arranged to go out for dinner with her port work chums the evening of our Christmas shopping trip. That leaves me alone at home, kicking my heels on the night of 27th November. What is a boy to do?

So, if there's still space, I am in. Just need to look at the list of who is bringing what and see whether I need to adopt from Tom or if I have something at home that isn't already represented.
A good friend from Germany just told me he will be in London next Wednesday. Since he will bring precious old materials (wine) over for me I have to see him. So I opt out and you can have my place and adoption.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

AHB wrote:So, if there's still space, I am in. Just need to look at the list of who is bringing what and see whether I need to adopt from Tom or if I have something at home that isn't already represented.
Thanks Wolfgang.

Tom - could I adopt please. Keep the list of bottles being adopted by the group the same and I'll pick up my third of the pooled cost. Thanks.

Also, I would vote against including the 1983 Nacional. While fun to try, it is not good value for money.

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

WS1 wrote:
AHB wrote:It seems my darling wife has arranged to go out for dinner with her port work chums the evening of our Christmas shopping trip. That leaves me alone at home, kicking my heels on the night of 27th November. What is a boy to do?

A good friend from Germany just told me he will be in London next Wednesday. Since he will bring precious old materials (wine) over for me I have to see him. So I opt out and you can have my place and adoption.

regards

WS1
Sorry not to see you there Wolfgang; welcome Alex.
Placemat updated.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
AHB wrote:So, if there's still space, I am in. Just need to look at the list of who is bringing what and see whether I need to adopt from Tom or if I have something at home that isn't already represented.
Thanks Wolfgang.

Tom - could I adopt please. I'd like you to add the Cockburn to the list of bottles being adopted by the group. I still hope to find a good one of these one day, but don't decant it before travelling to the Bung Hole. I'll filter it when it arrives and hope the lack of exposure to the air holds back the development of any TCA. Thanks.

Also, I would vote against including the 1983 Nacional. While fun to try, it is not good value for money.
Are you suggesting we replace Taylor with Cockburn?
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
Thanks Wolfgang.

Tom - could I adopt please. Keep the list of bottles being adopted by the group the same and I'll pick up my third of the pooled cost. Thanks.

Are you suggesting we replace Taylor with Cockburn?
No. You copied and pasted before I edited to reflect Wolfgang's post.