28 Nov 2013: The Bunghole - What

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 28 Nov 2013: The Bunghole - What

Post by djewesbury »

TBH booked. No need to pre-order if we're going to be there by 9ish and they know we're coming.

Now could DRT and JDAW agree what we're doing; each bringing something, or not?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Questions for the attendees: we will have tasted many fine Ports at BBR. Do we need more fine Port or do we need emergency supplies? And do we need one bottle per mouth at this time in the evening?
Although BBR don't seem to have published their list of ports for this year's event, based on previous years there will be 15-20 ports to taste between 18:30 and 20:30. If we're arriving at TBH at 21:00/21:30, I suggest we may not have the capacity or time for a bottle each.

Something "fine" does sound sensible; Depending on our numbers, perhaps just a few bottles to share may be sufficient, such as a selection of four '80s Warre unfiltered LBVs?
DRT wrote:I have considered all the permutations of all the possibilities of what JDAW might do in response to this discussion. After careful thought I have come to the conclusion that all of those permutations result in him bringing a double magnum of "What" decanted into multiple and varied-sized bottles.
This plan also sounds good (especially if the "not fully mature" port is Graham's 70 ;) Do you think the magnum/double-magnum of "What" will be sufficient for all?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Questions for the attendees: we will have tasted many fine Ports at BBR. Do we need more fine Port or do we need emergency supplies? And do we need one bottle per mouth at this time in the evening?
Although BBR don't seem to have published their list of ports for this year's event, based on previous years there will be 15-20 ports to taste between 18:30 and 20:30. If we're arriving at TBH at 21:00/21:30, I suggest we may not have the capacity or time for a bottle each.
Strongly seconded.
PhilW wrote:Something "fine" does sound sensible; Depending on our numbers, perhaps just a few bottles to share may be sufficient, such as a selection of four '80s Warre unfiltered LBVs?
DRT wrote:I have considered all the permutations of all the possibilities of what JDAW might do in response to this discussion. After careful thought I have come to the conclusion that all of those permutations result in him bringing a double magnum of "What" decanted into multiple and varied-sized bottles.
This plan also sounds good (especially if the "not fully mature" port is Graham's 70 ;) Do you think the magnum/double-magnum of "What" will be sufficient for all?
I think it sounds like we are covered:

Derek is bringing a magnum of "What";
Julian is bringing an unspecified quantity (but certainly no less than 75cl, I am willing to guarantee) of "What!?" .

By the reckoning suggested by DRT (37.5cl each) covers 6 persons (we are 8). I am already a little stretched in what I can bring - I have a Cà83 that I am bringing for the previous evening but have limited opportunity to bring anything further. If PW is now offering to bring some W80LBV then I think that may be as much as we 'need'. (But perhaps not 4 bottles Phil..) There is also, I suppose, the option of buying something at BBR and popping it at TBH immediately after.

I am perfectly happy to reckon up financially with whoever is supplying..
Daniel J.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I am bringing 3 guests to the BBR event.

One of them is WS1, who can say for himself whether he is in for the after-party.

I will speak to my other two guests to see if they would like to come (one has attended a TPF tasting previously). As always, i would prefer to avoid LBVs (which are my "at-home" drinking) for an offline - in particular if an industry guest is coming.

If you are having problems with transporting bottles, BBR will stand a bottle for you if you order in advance. Likewise Davy's. Presumably bottles could also be sent to jdaw1?
Last edited by RAYC on 14:53 Mon 21 Oct 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:Derek is bringing a magnum of "What";
Julian is bringing an unspecified quantity (but certainly no less than 75cl, I am willing to guarantee) of "What!?" .

By the reckoning suggested by DRT (37.5cl each) covers 6 persons (we are 8). I am already a little stretched in what I can bring - I have a Cà83 that I am bringing for the previous evening but have limited opportunity to bring anything further. If PW is now offering to bring some W80LBV then I think that may be as much as we 'need'. (But perhaps not 4 bottles Phil..)
My suggestion of the (four) '80s LBVs was intended as an alternative, rather than an addition to the "What" suggestion. If decision already made then no problem.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:I am bringing 3 guests to the BBR event.

One of them is WS1, who can say for himself whether he is in for the after-party.

I will speak to my other two guests to see if they would like to come (one has attended a TPF tasting previously). As always, i would prefer to avoid LBVs (which are my "at-home" drinking) for an offline - in particular if an industry guest is coming.

If you are having problems with transporting bottles, BBR will stand a bottle for you if you order in advance. Likewise Davy's. Presumably bottles could also be sent to jdaw1?
OK - decision made, I will send a package, either to JDAWor to DRT, containing a selection of bottles for this and the evening before. (And I will use the poly box that DRT just sent me...)
I'll advise once these are sent so that the placemat for this evening can be updated.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:I will send a package! to JDAW
Fine by me.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

RAYC wrote:
Hmm, not sure if drinking more port after the port walk is a good idea :roll:

Have fond memories about events at BBR; last time I sacrficed myself finishing al sorts of Nacionals from the 60s since the staff wanted to put the remains in the sink. I was the only member of the Portforum (one other chickened out and moved subsequently to the US) who soldiered on and had a massive Nacional hangover the next day :nirvana:

Clearly if an industry guest is coming we should open something interesting but also reflect that we had all sorts of port before. I would vote have some interesting port and some Riesling in order to "refreshen the reflexes". Also this would potentially help me avoiding to fall asleep on the train and waking up in Northampton again. :roll:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

28 Nov 2013: The Bunghole - What

Post by djewesbury »

WS1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:
Hmm, not sure if drinking more port after the port walk is a good idea :roll:
Yeah yeah. You will though. Wolfgang's in, everybody.
WS1 wrote:Have fond memories about events at BBR; last time I sacrficed myself finishing al sorts of Nacionals from the 60s since the staff wanted to put the remains in the sink. I was the only member of the Portforum (one other chickened out and moved subsequently to the US) who soldiered on and had a massive Nacional hangover the next day :nirvana:
I have my fingers crossed that we can help them in such a fashion again.
WS1 wrote:Clearly if an industry guest is coming we should open something interesting but also reflect that we had all sorts of port before. I would vote have some interesting port and some Riesling in order to "refreshen the reflexes". Also this would potentially help me avoiding to fall asleep on the train and waking up in Northampton again. :roll:
I agree 100% with this - some Riesling would be an excellent idea. I will include a bottle in my package.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Any word on the industry guest.?

And would anybody mind if one of the bottles I sent was a G70? I know, it's getting boring now...
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:And would anybody mind if one of the bottles I sent was a G70? I know, it's getting boring now...
Sigh. Taxes, death, Graham 1970.

(Spot the odd one out.)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Taxes, death, Graham 1970.
(Spot the odd one out.)
The taxes; they're more variable.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I have a suitable "oddity", as well.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Taxes, death, Graham 1970.
(Spot the odd one out.)
The taxes; they're more variable.
Good. No objections then.
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:Any word on the industry guest.?
No response from him yet.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:Any word on the industry guest.?
Unfortunately he is not available on either 27 or 28 November.

RAYC

Post by RAYC »

I will speak to my other two guests to see if they would like to come (one has attended a TPF tasting previously).
I have spoken to my non-TPF guests who are attending this - as one of them flies out the next day to Singapore to get married, a different sort of meal is in mind and we will be going to an upscale restaurant within walking distance of BBR on this occasion.
Rob C.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

RAYC wrote:

I will speak to my other two guests to see if they would like to come (one has attended a TPF tasting previously).
I have spoken to my non-TPF guests who are attending this - as one of them flies out the next day to Singapore to get married, a different sort of meal is in mind and we will be going to an upscale restaurant within walking distance of BBR on this occasion.
Since I am invited by RAYC to come to the portwalk and also knowing his two guests well, I will join them having dinner in the restaurant nearby. Sorry but otherwise this would be rude.

Have a nice aftertasting at the Bunhole..... :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

From the thread Port Glasses Test.
RAYC, on Sun 23 Sep 2012, wrote:Since starting to drink port regularly at the Bunghole (where we use their standard (white?) wine glasses), i must admit i have found myself beginning to prefer drinking from a glass with a much larger bowl than the Reidel Vinum Port or the S-Z, and when drinking at home have gradually found my own pair of Reidels (Vinum Port and Overture White) overlooked in favour of a standard white wine glass.

So when i noticed the size and shape of the new BBR port glass, i ordered a couple to see if they would fit the bill. First impressions are very good - i can see this becoming my go-to glass for home drinking.
DRT wrote:Time to take one for the team :wink:

Will report back.
jdaw1, on Sat 09 Nov 2013, wrote:And?
DRT wrote:Forgot. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to test at the Port Walk.
Should we ask Berry Bros whether they could make available, for testing, a few of the BBR port glasses?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:From the thread Port Glasses Test.
RAYC, on Sun 23 Sep 2012, wrote:Since starting to drink port regularly at the Bunghole (where we use their standard (white?) wine glasses), i must admit i have found myself beginning to prefer drinking from a glass with a much larger bowl than the Reidel Vinum Port or the S-Z, and when drinking at home have gradually found my own pair of Reidels (Vinum Port and Overture White) overlooked in favour of a standard white wine glass.

So when i noticed the size and shape of the new BBR port glass, i ordered a couple to see if they would fit the bill. First impressions are very good - i can see this becoming my go-to glass for home drinking.
DRT wrote:Time to take one for the team :wink:

Will report back.
jdaw1, on Sat 09 Nov 2013, wrote:And?
DRT wrote:Forgot. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to test at the Port Walk.
Should we ask Berry Bros whether they could make available, for testing, a few of the BBR port glasses?
You were not impressed on the previous occasion they were made available to you for testing...!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:You were not impressed on the previous occasion they were made available to you for testing...!
Oh. Please remind me.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Suddenly I am reminded of a session made for the John Peel Show in the early 1980s by a band called Sudden Sway. Situationist pranksters, their two session tracks consisted of short, bizarre radio plays. I found the relevant excerpt on the Interweb:
Sudden Sway, in their track entitled Relationships, wrote:‘Kev and Kath, function and data processors for Conceptat the idea agency have recently attended the office self-awareness weekend at the Olde Mill By The Stream. Kath is under stress as a result of an attack made outside the Green Man. Kev has left his first wife, who he has understood so well that she no longer exists. Hrrrh hrrrh winebar, hrrrh hrrrh cosy place between town and country. However, the noisy quiet has been broken by a card from the local society. ‟Come to the Union Ball!” it reads. ‟Bring two presents, a What and a Why.” Kev is anxious.’
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

But loyal TPFers are no longer anxious about such matters. "What" is in that bottle and "Why" are we not drinking it yet are the common questions we ask.

Mind you, I still don't understand whether I need to bring something or not.

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:But loyal TPFers are no longer anxious about such matters. "What" is in that bottle and "Why" are we not drinking it yet are the common questions we ask.

Mind you, I still don't understand whether I need to bring something or not.
Depends who you ask. It varies from a double-mag to nothing at all.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am bringing a mag of emergency VP.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn